Re: "60 degree bank angle"

  • Jay
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 1, 2001
      Frank 'Woof" Beagle says it best without gettng bogged down in degrees and
      angles. you HAFTA AFTA (always fly the airplane). KISS

      Jay

      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 1, 2001
        From: "Jay" <jdewberry@...>
        >Frank 'Woof" Beagle says it best without gettng bogged down in
        >degrees and angles. you HAFTA AFTA (always fly the airplane). KISS

        I'm sure Frank is an excellent pilot and superb teacher....
        However, telling people to "always the fly the plane" has very
        little value unless you also tell them what you mean by that.
        (as Frank probably did)
        From a piece of advice like "always fly the airplane", and
        no further indication as to what is meant by that, it would
        not surprize me if a variety of students thought that meant:
        a) concentrate on the plane not the radio
        b) fly the plane regularly, like every week
        c) travel by plane to Vegas, don't use the car, you're a pilot now

        On the other hand, it can be much more useful for us to know:
        we must always fly with enough airspeed...
        we need more airspeed with heavier loads
        more airspeed while maneuvering
        more airspeed approaching to land in wind and or turbulence

        How do we get enough airspeed?
        By keeping the nose down enough.
        How do we stop having enough airspeed?
        By holding the nose up more than we should.

        Telling someone to "always fly the plane" without saying what
        is intended by that, is about as useful as telling them to eat
        and drink regularly. It may be simple, but it's pretty stupid.

        Cheers!
        Mike H.