Re: OAG Recomendations

  • BRIAN
    Message 1 of 13 , Oct 1, 2011
      Hi Richard ,
      This is to go on my RCOS 16 Truss.
      In front of the FLI 16803 with 5/7 filter wheel.
      I have one fitted now that i made and it is giving
      me headaches with ra slip IE star trails even with guiding.
      I dont understand this as the previuos setup from the two
      chips on one plane camera company worked flawlesly ?
      Any help or advice is very welcome as i am lost with this problem.
      I can post images of the setup also of the star trail images
      if needed.

      Thanks
      Brian.

    • rdcrisp@sbcglobal.net
      Message 2 of 13 , Oct 1, 2011
        couple of comments

        1) the other camera maker you are hinting around about... the two chips aren’t actually in the same plane; they are orthogonal to each other but use a mirror to make the assembly behave as if they are in the same plane. Just a nit but that’s how the ST(7-10) works

        2) not sure how you are guiding today with out the self-guiding camera but it sounds as if you have classic differential movement between the guiding and imaging systems. It is really hard in mirror based scopes to avoid that

        The OAG is an effective way to solve that problem. I used a Lumicon Giant Easy guider on my 18” f/12.6 classical cass and regularly image at either 5760 or 3366mm focal length with it.. (without or with the reducer)

        --- In mailto:FLI_Imaging_Systems%40yahoogroups.com, "Richard Crisp" <rdcrisp@...> wrote:

        > Brian
        >
        > On which scope do you plan to use it?

        href="mailto:FLI_Imaging_Systems%40yahoogroups.com">mailto:FLI_Imaging_Systems%40yahoogroups.com [mailto:mailto:FLI_Imaging_Systems%40yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of BRIAN

        href="mailto:FLI_Imaging_Systems%40yahoogroups.com">mailto:FLI_Imaging_Systems%40yahoogroups.com <mailto:FLI_Imaging_Systems%40yahoogroups.com> , "BRIAN" <brian.j@> wrote:

        > > > Hi All,
        > > > Still
        trying to sort out this OAG problem.

        > > > Is
        anyone using the PL16803 with a OAG ?

        > > > If so
        which one are you using please.

        Thanks
        > > > Brian.

      • Greg
        Message 3 of 13 , Oct 1, 2011
          So you are using an OAG now and you are having trouble with guiding?

          By the way in your post "ra slip IE" - whats IE stand for? Obviously not Internet Explorer!

          Greg.

        • rdcrisp@sbcglobal.net
          Message 4 of 13 , Oct 1, 2011
            IE probably means i.e.

            i.e. = “id est”.... (“that is” in Latin)

            said he had RA Slip, i.e., star trails....

            that’s how I read it

            --- In mailto:FLI_Imaging_Systems%40yahoogroups.com, <rdcrisp@...> wrote:

            > couple of comments

            1) the other camera maker you are hinting around about... the two chips aren’t actually in the same plane; they are orthogonal to each other but use a mirror to make the assembly behave as if they are in the same plane. Just a nit but that’s how the ST(7-10) works

            > 2) not sure how you are guiding
            today with out the self-guiding camera but it sounds as if you have classic differential movement between the guiding and imaging systems. It is really hard in mirror based scopes to avoid that

            > The OAG is an effective
            way to solve that problem. I used a Lumicon Giant Easy guider on my 18” f/12.6 classical cass and regularly image at either 5760 or 3366mm focal length with it.. (without or with the reducer)

            needed.

            > Thanks
            > Brian.
            >
            > --- In
            mailto:FLI_Imaging_Systems%40yahoogroups.com, "Richard Crisp" <rdcrisp@> wrote:

            > > Brian
            > >
            > > On which scope
            do you plan to use it?

            mailto:FLI_Imaging_Systems%40yahoogroups.com
            > > Subject:
            [FLI_Imaging_Systems] Re: OAG Recomendations

            > > Thanks Greg ,

            Looking at it now.

            > > best regards
            > > Brian.
            > >
            > > --- In mailto:FLI_Imaging_Systems%40yahoogroups.com
            <mailto:FLI_Imaging_Systems%40yahoogroups.com> , "Greg" <bradgregley10@> wrote:

            > > > I am using a
            MMOAG. It works fine. You need to work out the adapters for it to fit the FLI CFW.

            > > > Greg.
            > > >
            > > > --- In mailto:FLI_Imaging_Systems%40yahoogroups.com

          • BRIAN
            Message 5 of 13 , Oct 2, 2011
              Hi Richard/Greg,
              Richard has ie definition correct,
              I have uploaded a photo of my setup so you
              can see exactly what i have as a guider.
              FYI the pick off prism is 12 mm x 12mm .
              Guide camera is st402.

              Brian

            • Richard Crisp
              Message 6 of 13 , Oct 2, 2011

                Where is the photo located Brian?

                Please note that if you upload a photo to the photos folder that the resolution that can be seen by all but you is significantly reduced

                So it is best to upload photos to the file section if you want to share high resolution ones.

                Thanks

                Rdc

                I have uploaded a photo of my setup so you
                can see exactly what i have as a guider.
                FYI the pick off prism is 12 mm x 12mm .
                Guide camera is st402.

                Brian

                --- In FLI_Imaging_Systems@yahoogroups.com, <rdcrisp@...> wrote:

                > IE probably means i.e.
                >
                > i.e. = “id est”.... (“that is” in Latin)
                >
                > said he had RA Slip, i.e., star trails....
                >
                > that’s how I read it

              • Greg
                Message 7 of 13 , Oct 3, 2011
                  I see it stood for i.e.

                  One possibility is your prism is loose. There are adjusting screws on top of the MMOAG. If these are loose then the prism may be loose and hence unreliable. Something to check anyway.

                  Greg.

                • BRIAN
                  Message 8 of 13 , Oct 3, 2011
                    Hi Richard,
                    I have put the picture in Photos/ironpan.

                  • BRIAN
                    Message 9 of 13 , Oct 3, 2011
                      Richard,
                      Files are in Ironpan Observatory folder as well.