M83 and the Universe behind her

  • Michael
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 2, 2011
      I only juuust managed to squeeze in the data (5.5hrs) for this before dawn on Sunday morning.

      The seeing was poor early on but then improved to above average after midnight and I used all the data (no luxury of being able to chuck the soft frames unfortunately - I needed'em all) but I still managed to get some reasonable detail out...(god I'd love to have some really good seeing more often )

      I wanted to go deep, to reveal not only the many background galaxies, the beautiful subtle outer and extensive halo that envelopes the galaxy (not simply induced in PS either - it's real!) and the faint arm that extends out to the companion galaxies... but I also knew there were two veeeeery faint and very rarely imaged (maybe only once before?) tidal streams around M83 too .... so here is the usual collection to showcase the various aspects - please enjoy the album

      The basic field at medium size for general viewing (1 meg) http://www.pbase.com/strongmanmike2002/image/132836995/original

      A tighter 100% crop portrait for a closer look (640K) http://www.pbase.com/strongmanmike2002/image/132836997/original

      My fav, The full frame crop full 100% res version to swim around (1.7meg) http://www.pbase.com/strongmanmike2002/image/132836998/original

      Deep inside the core of M83 http://www.pbase.com/strongmanmike2002/image/132836996/original

      Here are the ultra faint tidal streams http://www.pbase.com/strongmanmike2002/image/132837742/original

      Lots to see so hope you enjoy'em all
      Mike
    • Eric
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 2, 2011
        Mike:
        Beautiful image, looks incredible that it was taken with a superb but medium size refractor and that you used just 30 minutes for each RGB filter.
        Best regards,
        Eric.

        --- In FLI_Imaging_Systems@yahoogroups.com, "Michael" <m.sidonio@...> wrote:

        > I only juuust managed to squeeze in the data (5.5hrs) for this before dawn on Sunday morning.
        >
        > The seeing was poor early on but then improved to above average after midnight and I used all the data (no luxury of being able to chuck the soft frames unfortunately - I needed'em all) but I still managed to get some reasonable detail out...(god I'd love to have some really good seeing more often )
        >
        > I wanted to go deep, to reveal not only the many background galaxies, the beautiful subtle outer and extensive halo that envelopes the galaxy (not simply induced in PS either - it's real!) and the faint arm that extends out to the companion galaxies... but I also knew there were two veeeeery faint and very rarely imaged (maybe only once before?) tidal streams around M83 too .... so here is the usual collection to showcase the various aspects - please enjoy the album
        >
        > The basic field at medium size for general viewing (1 meg) http://www.pbase.com/strongmanmike2002/image/132836995/original
        >
        > A tighter 100% crop portrait for a closer look (640K) http://www.pbase.com/strongmanmike2002/image/132836997/original
        >
        > My fav, The full frame crop full 100% res version to swim around (1.7meg) http://www.pbase.com/strongmanmike2002/image/132836998/original
        >
        > Deep inside the core of M83 http://www.pbase.com/strongmanmike2002/image/132836996/original
        >
        > Here are the ultra faint tidal streams http://www.pbase.com/strongmanmike2002/image/132837742/original
        >
        > Lots to see so hope you enjoy'em all
        > Mike

      • Bob Holzer

          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 4, 2011
            Cheers Eric and Bob, the 6" Starfire punches above her weight for sure! :-)

            Mike

            --- In FLI_Imaging_Systems@yahoogroups.com, Bob Holzer <bob@...> wrote:

            > A beauty Mike!
            >
            > Bob
            >

            > On 3/2/2011 7:00 AM, Michael wrote:
            > >
            > > I only juuust managed to squeeze in the data (5.5hrs) for this before
            > > dawn on Sunday morning.
            > >
            > > The seeing was poor early on but then improved to above average after
            > > midnight and I used all the data (no luxury of being able to chuck the
            > > soft frames unfortunately - I needed'em all) but I still managed to
            > > get some reasonable detail out...(god I'd love to have some really
            > > good seeing more often )
            > >
            > > I wanted to go deep, to reveal not only the many background galaxies,
            > > the beautiful subtle outer and extensive halo that envelopes the
            > > galaxy (not simply induced in PS either - it's real!) and the faint
            > > arm that extends out to the companion galaxies... but I also knew
            > > there were two veeeeery faint and very rarely imaged (maybe only once
            > > before?) tidal streams around M83 too .... so here is the usual
            > > collection to showcase the various aspects - please enjoy the album
            > >
            > > The basic field at medium size for general viewing (1 meg)
            > > http://www.pbase.com/strongmanmike2002/image/132836995/original
            > >
            > > A tighter 100% crop portrait for a closer look (640K)
            > > http://www.pbase.com/strongmanmike2002/image/132836997/original
            > >
            > > My fav, The full frame crop full 100% res version to swim around
            > > (1.7meg) http://www.pbase.com/strongmanmike2002/image/132836998/original
            > >
            > > Deep inside the core of M83
            > > http://www.pbase.com/strongmanmike2002/image/132836996/original
            > >
            > > Here are the ultra faint tidal streams
            > > http://www.pbase.com/strongmanmike2002/image/132837742/original
            > >
            > > Lots to see so hope you enjoy'em all
            > > Mike

          • Wolfgang Promper
            Message 5 of 5 , Mar 18, 2011
              Hello Michael

              Thats a very nice one, I like it very much.

              Wolfgang