Hi Res mosaic of the Gamma Cygni Nebulosity

  • Enzo Santin
    Message 1 of 13 , Jul 6, 2009
      Hi all!
      This is my latest work: an high resolution mosaic of the Gamma Cygni Nebulosity:

      http://www.enzosantin-astro.com/pre/Gammacygnimosaic.htm

      Tech details:

      Exposure: L:R:G:B = 180:180:180:180 min x 4 (4 frames mosaic)

      Telescope: A&M RC 10" f/8 + A&M Optimized Doublet Field Flattener
      Camera: FLI ProLine 16803 + FLI CFW 5-7(Astrodon Filter Set) + FLI PDF Digital Focuser

      Mount: Paramount ME

      Thanks for looking, I hope you like it!

      Enzo Santin
      http://www.enzosantin-astro.com/index.html
    • Richard Crisp
      Message 2 of 13 , Jul 6, 2009
        nice image Enzo with the hallmark AstroDon Haloes..... He should trademark the haloes!

        rdc

        Message 3 of 13 , Jul 6, 2009
          Very Nice Enzo. I have similar single frame with TEC 180 and 16803, using the 'reflective' Astrodon as well.

          Message 4 of 13 , Jul 6, 2009
            LOL!

            I'll call them Astrohalos.

            Message 5 of 13 , Jul 6, 2009
              How about HaloDons?

              Message 6 of 13 , Jul 6, 2009
                Sorry, I am not an Astrodon estimator, but I think that this 'querelle' about Astrodon filters is very boring. Best Regard

                Enzo

                Message 7 of 13 , Jul 6, 2009
                  regarding HaloDons.....

                  out of curiousity why did you buy that brand when you can buy a superior product for less than half the price?

                  have you looked at Baader for example?

                  Message 8 of 13 , Jul 6, 2009
                    Richard,
                    When I bought Astrodon filters I do not know the existence of the Baader. Anyway, I think that this music: Astrodon no, Baader yes is becoming extremely boring: there are not only filters to looking for in a image. When I have money I will buy the Baader, meantime, some halo will not prevent me to forget the joy of taking images. Sorry for my English... best

                    Message 9 of 13 , Jul 6, 2009
                      hey it is a great image Enzo. I really like it

                      I was just teasing you about the filters...

                      take care and keep up the good image taking!

                    • tylerallred@earthlink.net
                      Message 10 of 13 , Jul 6, 2009
                        Enzo,
                        I love your image. It is very nicely captured and processed. I thoroughly enjoyed viewing it.

                        I agree with you that the constant thumping of Astrodons is getting pretty old. Good manners might dictate a different response from forum members than what is often given. In my opinion, the image should be enjoyed as is, and the filter discussions should happen in those postings that ask such questions. That is my 2-cents worth. Keep up the good work Enzo!
                        Cheers,
                        Tyler

                        From: "Enzo Santin"
                        Date: Tue, 07 Jul 2009 00:50:20 -0000
                        To: <FLI_Imaging_Systems@yahoogroups.com>

                        Message 11 of 13 , Jul 7, 2009
                          Thank you!

                          Message 12 of 13 , Jul 7, 2009
                            Tyler, Enzo,

                            Here is my image of the region when I first got my PL16803 in 2007.

                            The Astrodon issue may be boring to you both but I've been shafted. I thought that I was getting a superior product when paying twice as much ($2000) for a set of very poorly made 50mm filters that presented vibrant halos, uneven illumination across the red and green filters, and poor registration between filters at the corners. Don Goldman squarely blames it on my TEC refractor and its Field Flattener without any proof whatsoever publically on the TECscope group thru Herb York of Anacortes Telescope. TEC and I have both investigated the source of this issue independently, and have came to the same conclusion, you can see the results in the FLI's group file section. Also, indirectly, probably as result of my fusterations, FLI has made AR coated windows a standard item.

                            Tim

                            From: "Enzo Santin"
                            Date: Tue, 07 Jul 2009 00:50:20 -0000
                            To: <FLI_Imaging_Systems@yahoogroups.com>

                            Message 13 of 13 , Jul 7, 2009
                              not only that but a rather non-controversial gentleman recently pointed out that his flat field problems are due solely to the failure of HaloDon to apply blackened edges to the very high priced 50 x 50 mm square filters mentioned by Tim

                              that person informed HaloDon himself that his high priced filters, are defective in concept and execution for failure to do a simple thing like applying black coatings to the filter edges, a technique well known for many years in the world of *real* optics suppliers.

                              You'd think that a PhD that represents himself to be a world's leading expert on everyting related to astro imaging would be aware of a simple fact that has been known for years......but the way it works is you pay the ridiculous price and you teach the vendor what he did wrong and show him how to make a product that is actually ready for prime time. It is the same old routine you get other places, but you are paying 2x to 3x what you ought to have to pay.

                              From: "Enzo Santin"
                              Date: Tue, 07 Jul 2009 00:50:20 -0000
                              To: <FLI_Imaging_ Systems@yahoogro ups.com>