Re: [FLI_Imaging_Systems] Re: Mounting a MicroLine

  • Richard Crisp
    Message 1 of 20 , Jan 5, 2012
      if that question was directed toward me: I am absolutely certain Danny. I;ve not owned an ST10 in many years... my ML8300, from the first year of production as I recall, has the 1/4 - 20 mounting hole...

      so does my ML4022

      Message 2 of 20 , Jan 5, 2012
        Ah. OK. Then, as Tim mentioned, the hole must be on the shutter housing. The 65mm shutter has no such hole.

        Best,

      • Richard Crisp
        Message 3 of 20 , Jan 5, 2012

          Some hardwood surrounding the camera will make a fine holder for it that will not mar the surface of the camera.

          There are lots of ways to mount it using hardwood… should be nice and easy to do

          Ah. OK. Then, as Tim mentioned, the hole must be on the shutter housing. The 65mm shutter has no such hole.

          Best,
          Danny

          --- In FLI_Imaging_Systems@yahoogroups.com, Richard Crisp <rdcrisp@...> wrote:

          > if that question was directed toward me: I am absolutely certain Danny. I;ve not owned an ST10 in many years... my ML8300, from the first year of production as I recall, has the 1/4 - 20 mounting hole...
          >
          > so does my ML4022

        • Dean S
          Message 4 of 20 , Jan 5, 2012
            Or a couple big C clamps should hold it secure Smile

            just joking, sort of.........

            Dean

            Sent: Thursday, January 05, 2012 2:38 PM
            Subject: RE: [FLI_Imaging_Systems] Re: Mounting a MicroLine

            href="mailto:danny@...">danny@...>
            > Subject: [FLI_Imaging_Systems]
            Re: Mounting a MicroLine
            > To:
            href="mailto:FLI_Imaging_Systems%40yahoogroups.com">mailto:FLI_Imaging_Systems%40yahoogroups.com

            Date: Thursday, January 5, 2012, 10:18 AM

            wrote:

            > > From: Tim Khan
            <timkhan@>
            > > Subject: Re: [FLI_Imaging_Systems] Mounting a
            MicroLine
            > > To: "
            href="mailto:FLI_Imaging_Systems%40yahoogroups.com">mailto:FLI_Imaging_Systems%40yahoogroups.com" <mailto:FLI_Imaging_Systems%40yahoogroups.com>

            <jmoronski-ng@>

            work?

            href="http://www.admaccessories.com/D_Series_Camera_Mount.htm">http://www.admaccessories.com/D_Series_Camera_Mount.htm

            > > On 1/5/2012 8:16 AM, Tim Khan wrote:
            > > >

            > > > I have to do the same thing...just have
            not got around to it...was
            > > > thinking of making a clamp to hold
            the camera, getting a liner bearing
            > > > to hold the lens all
            mounted to plates (which I have collecting dust).

            *Subject:* [FLI_Imaging_Systems] Mounting a MicroLine

            > > > I was wondering if anyone has a solution for mounting a MicroLine
            camera
            > > > to a Losmandy style dovetail plate or saddle. I don't
            have any
            > > > metalworking or machining tools or skills so
            something off-the-shelf
            > > > would be desired (No, I can't build
            something like Richard's rig! :).

            > > > I'd like
            to attach the camera and a camera lens to my Mach1 or AP900 for
            > > > some widefield imaging. A simple 1/4"-20 hole on the camera body
            would
            > > > be nice start, alas, there is none.
            > > >
            > > > I already have some Losmandy DAs, 125mm rings to support
            the lens, a
            > > > double-sided dovetail plate... pretty much
            everything I would need, but
            > > > nothing to support the camera
            itself.

            > > > Any ideas?
            > > >
            > > > Thanks,
            > > > Danny

          • Tim Khan
            Message 5 of 20 , Jan 5, 2012
              I have the round housing, so no 1/4-20 hole.

              I am pretty sure mine has those holes Tim... that's how I mounted it

              Jim, the issue is that the ML does not have the 1/4-20 female mounting holes. So I was thinking of a wrap around aluminum bars (square rings) with thin foam inserts to support the body in such way that it does not block air flow, however, the space is limited (I have the 65mm nose on both MLs). This way a bottom 'lift' plate can attach to the 'square rings' and give torsional rigidity.

              > I have to do the same thing...just have not got around to it...was
              > thinking of making a clamp to hold the camera, getting a liner bearing
              > to hold the lens all mounted to plates (which I have collecting dust).

            • Tim Khan
              Message 6 of 20 , Jan 5, 2012
                What were you thinking, a pair of cinder blocks and c-clamps!

                Sent: Thursday, January 05, 2012 2:38 PM

                Date: Thursday, January 5, 2012, 10:18 AM

                <jmoronski-ng@>

              • Dean S
                Message 7 of 20 , Jan 5, 2012
                  Yes that should work too, the extra mass can only help.  But not sure of the expansion coefficient of cinder clocks??

                  Sent: Thursday, January 05, 2012 2:38 PM

                  Some hardwood surrounding the camera will make a fine holder for it that will not mar the surface of the camera.

                  There are lots of ways to mount it using hardwood… should be nice and easy to do

                  Ah. OK. Then, as Tim mentioned, the hole must be on the shutter housing. The 65mm shutter has no such hole.

                  Best,
                  Danny

                  --- In mailto:FLI_Imaging_Systems%40yahoogroups.com, Richard Crisp <rdcrisp@...> wrote:

                  > if that
                  question was directed toward me: I am absolutely certain Danny. I;ve not owned an ST10 in many years... my ML8300, from the first year of production as I recall, has the 1/4 - 20 mounting hole...
                  > so does my
                  ML4022

                  From: dannysperry <danny@...>
                  > Subject:
                  [FLI_Imaging_Systems] Re: Mounting a MicroLine
                  > To:
                  href="mailto:FLI_Imaging_Systems%40yahoogroups.com" rel=nofollow target=_blank ymailto="mailto:FLI_Imaging_Systems%40yahoogroups.com">mailto:FLI_Imaging_Systems%40yahoogroups.com

                  Date: Thursday, January 5, 2012, 10:18 AM

                  > My ML has no 1/4"-20 holes anywhere.
                  Might you be thinking about your ST-10?

                  > -Danny

                  --- In mailto:FLI_Imaging_Systems%40yahoogroups.com, Richard Crisp <rdcrisp@> wrote:

                  > > I am pretty sure
                  mine has those holes Tim... that's how I mounted it
                  > > ÂÂ
                  > >

                  > > --- On Thu, 1/5/12, Tim Khan <timkhan@>
                  wrote:

                  > > From: Tim Khan
                  <timkhan@>
                  > > Subject: Re: [FLI_Imaging_Systems] Mounting a
                  MicroLine
                  > > To: "
                  href="mailto:FLI_Imaging_Systems%40yahoogroups.com" rel=nofollow target=_blank ymailto="mailto:FLI_Imaging_Systems%40yahoogroups.com">mailto:FLI_Imaging_Systems%40yahoogroups.com" <mailto:FLI_Imaging_Systems%40yahoogroups.com>

                  <jmoronski-ng@>

                • dannysperry
                  Message 8 of 20 , Jan 5, 2012
                    True. I think I'll get working on a wood design.

                    Thanks!

                  • Richard Crisp
                    Message 9 of 20 , Jan 5, 2012

                      Try getting a long losmandy type dovetail bar and then build everything on top of that.

                      You can use a small Efinder type guide scope and mount a lightweight guider on a post raising it above the lower gear mounted to the dovetail bar for imaging.

                      True. I think I'll get working on a wood design.

                      Thanks!

                      --- In FLI_Imaging_Systems@yahoogroups.com, "Richard Crisp" <rdcrisp@...> wrote:

                      > Some hardwood surrounding the camera will make a fine holder for it that will not mar the surface of the camera.
                      >

                      > There are lots of ways to mount it using hardwood… should be nice and easy to do

                    • Tim Khan
                      Message 10 of 20 , Jan 5, 2012
                        dl/L = 6.5x10e-06 in/F ;-)

                        Sent: Thursday, January 05, 2012 2:38 PM

                        Some hardwood surrounding the camera will make a fine holder for it that will not mar the surface of the camera.

                        There are lots of ways to mount it using hardwood… should be nice and easy to do

                        Ah. OK. Then, as Tim mentioned, the hole must be on the shutter housing. The 65mm shutter has no such hole.

                        Best,
                        Danny

                        --- In mailto:FLI_Imaging_Systems%40yahoogroups.com, Richard Crisp <rdcrisp@...> wrote:

                        > if that question was directed toward me: I am absolutely certain Danny. I;ve not owned an ST10 in many years... my ML8300, from the first year of production as I recall, has the 1/4 - 20 mounting hole...
                        > so does my ML4022

                      • Paul Beskeen
                        Message 11 of 20 , Jan 6, 2012
                          My solution was to use a circular clamp on the ML's circular 65mm
                          housing - and mount the guider underneath the losmandy plate.

                          http://www.beskeen.com/gallery/equipment/300mm_setup_closeup.jpg

                          Cheers, Paul.
                          --

                        • Jim Moronski (Yahoo)