Re: [FLI_Imaging_Systems] Re: [ccd-tech] Dew Patrol

  • Bob Holzer
    Message 1 of 13 , Jan 2, 2012
      Must be global warming. I had to put the dew heaters on too, 1st time here in the high desert.

      On 1/2/2012 3:21 PM, Richard Crisp wrote:

      That’s all I had handy..

      It was that or nothing at all…

      The hairdryer wasn’t cutting it and my dewstraps don’t work any more

      Usually don’t need them J

      Message 2 of 13 , Jan 2, 2012

        J Happy New Year. Bob…

        Message 3 of 13 , Jan 3, 2012

          Yeah that's a great idea Hans! Forget those overpriced anti-dew straps!

          http://www.narrowbandimaging.com/incoming/dew_patrol_xga.jpg

          The dogs supply amusement in the morning wanting to play fetch the toy etc while I copy my collected data onto my portable hard drive....

        • kjcphoto2001
          Message 4 of 13 , Jan 4, 2012
            What about Ron Keating's Dewbuster? Ron's a member of our club in New Orleans and what started out as a club project for our heavy dew here in Louisiana has turned into a will designed piece of hardware. The controller uses a thermocouple sensor to measure the ambient temp and the temp of the scope and only applies power when needed to keep your scope warmer than ambient temp. The unit is adjustable from 0 to 15 degrees. It has two sensor inputs. Ron also developed a fan controller as an add on for my unit. He's very open to modifications and customization. This feature is now standard. The DewBuster will pulse your heaters to warm the scope, but if there's a drop in temperature during the night, it will turn on the fans and then turn them off when the scope cools down enough. He also has some easy instructions to make cheap dew heaters on his site @ www.dewbuster.com

            --- In FLI_Imaging_Systems@yahoogroups.com, Tim Khan <timkhan@...> wrote:

            > Yeah that's a great idea Hans! Forget those overpriced anti-dew straps!
            >

            > ________________________________

          • Richard Crisp
            Message 5 of 13 , Jan 4, 2012

              What if the ambient temperature is below the dew point? How does it handle that situation?

              What about Ron Keating's Dewbuster? Ron's a member of our club in New Orleans and what started out as a club project for our heavy dew here in Louisiana has turned into a will designed piece of hardware. The controller uses a thermocouple sensor to measure the ambient temp and the temp of the scope and only applies power when needed to keep your scope warmer than ambient temp. The unit is adjustable from 0 to 15 degrees. It has two sensor inputs. Ron also developed a fan controller as an add on for my unit. He's very open to modifications and customization. This feature is now standard. The DewBuster will pulse your heaters to warm the scope, but if there's a drop in temperature during the night, it will turn on the fans and then turn them off when the scope cools down enough. He also has some easy instructions to make cheap dew heaters on his site @ www.dewbuster.com

              --- In FLI_Imaging_Systems@yahoogroups.com, Tim Khan <timkhan@...> wrote:

              > Yeah that's a great idea Hans! Forget those overpriced anti-dew straps!
              >

              > ________________________________

            • drgert1
              Message 6 of 13 , Jan 4, 2012
                Hi All,

                Consider using non-truss type scopes with optics at the end of a long OTA. Dew is a bit like rain falling down (not up!). Notice that the roof of your car and upward facing windshield gets dewed up first. Sideways facing surfaces dew up later.

                I was using a closed OTA cassegrain on a night with strong dew. After a while all the SCTs and lenses were packed up. The outside of my OTA was dripping wet but the optics worked well for hrs more. The first thing that gave in was the secondary!

                Clear Skies,
                Gert

                Message 7 of 13 , Jan 4, 2012
                  Gert: good story.... Are you back in the US or in Germany?

                  in my case the heater was the last resort for me. I had no other tool but a hairdryer and it was a losing battle using it

                  Message 8 of 13 , Jan 5, 2012
                    Richard,

                    It keeps the optics at a specified temp above the ambient temperature. So if you know from the forecast for the night that ambient will be 10 degrees below dewpoint, you can set the controller to maintain that difference. The setting range is 0 to 20 deg F. Ron can customize the range if needed. He goes into a long explanation on his site on how to correctly place heaters on the telescope tube to minimize heat currents.

                    Increasing the length of your dew shield buys you some extra protection. My original imagaging scope was a Takahshi E210. An 8" corrected Newtonian without any heaters. I used a dewshield that was 16" long, twice the aperture of the scope. I imaged from sundown to sun up with no dew on the optics one wet night. The exterior of my equipment was so wet by the morning, it looked like it had rained. The mirrors were dry.

                    Message 9 of 13 , Jan 5, 2012

                      Nice to hear of the flexibility of that system

                      In my case I needed a solution that evening and had little to work with except for that patio heater and a hair dryer

                      The patio heater worked fine.

                      My stars still focused tight, there were no problems…