hello

  • Vickie Burkett
    Message 1 of 9 , Jan 19, 2010
      Good evening all members of the group , i have ran into some concerns that parents have about SAC . I need help on the following issues if anyone can help me i would greatly appreciate it . Almost a year ago there was no PTO at our school and now there is. The money that was left in the SAC account was turned over to PTO. Parents have came to me with there concerns. I really don't know what to do or how to answer them. If anyone has ideas please help. Also , everyone is new to SAC as far as chair person How many meetings do we have to have for the year? If anyone has resources on where to look or go please i am so stressing over this.

      thanks,
      vickie

    • Theresa McCormick
      Message 2 of 9 , Jan 20, 2010
        Great meeting you Vickie!
        It is great news that your school now has a PTO. SAC and PTO make good
        partners. There are many things that SAC cannot pay for by law. So, in a
        partnership, PTO/PTA could do those things and perhaps SAC could pay for
        something that PTA/PTO wants. However, remember, SAC funds are under state
        rules. Which means I am astonished that SAC gave PTA/PTO money. We can
        spend our funds on educational enhancement only. By giving it to PTO, there
        is no control that the funds won't be spent on pizza or t-shirts.

        My thoughts are that perhaps SAC gave money from school recognition funds?
        Did your school go up in a letter grade? Or an A school? Even those funds
        have purse strings attached (guidelines on what it can be spent on). In my
        research on every school district audits over the years, the auditor has
        consistently "flagged" schools for how these funds were spent, Assistant
        Principals being members, not enough minority or lack of voting for
        members....etc... http://florida-family.net/SAC/FAQ.htm and
        http://florida-family.net/SAC/files.htm (my research I have put on a
        document which can be accessed on the website)

        My website, www.florida-family.net/SAC/ has a wealth of information --
        literally dozens upon dozens of pages and links to law, resources, other
        ideas on bringing in parents, etc...

        My thoughts are that the funds could not have gone to PTA/PTO and probably
        will get your principal in trouble. (neither SAC school improvement funds,
        nor school recognition funds).

        Theresa McCormick

        Tel. 727.525.6395
        Website: http://florida-family.net
        Email: theresa@...

        Message 3 of 9 , Jan 20, 2010
          It is not appropriate to turn over accountability funds to an outside organization without the express permission of SAC. Also, SAC should be meeting once a month, and should be over seeing the SIP. The changes in state law have put the responsibility on the principal to report to SAC on a quarterly basis as to how the school is implementing the SAP and how it seems to be working.
          Also Differentiated Accountability may be in the mix depending one whether your school falls in the D.A. categories.

          Jeanne

          Message 4 of 9 , Jan 20, 2010
            Quick note - there is no requirement by law to meet every month. There is
            a requirement for 5 star school award for the SAC to meet 8x a year. A SAC
            could meet twice a month while drafting/reviewing a SIP and then miss a
            month or two. You have to look at your individual SAC and school. You need
            to meet the needs of the school, SIP and SAC committee. That means looking
            at what day works best, what time, etc... for your SAC. There is nothing
            worse for SAC to meet just for the sake of meeting - no real tasks or
            decisions. Keeping parent involvement is a huge problem in middle and high
            schools.
            Theresa

            Message 5 of 9 , Jan 20, 2010
              It works for my school and many others as well. We do have things to d such as teaching the parents the new language of D.A. etc.

              Jeanne

              Message 6 of 9 , Jan 20, 2010
                My personal (and inexperienced opinion I might add) would be that someone
                might have a problem. SAC funds are statutorily allocated and very governed
                as far as what they can be utilized for. In a nutshell summary, they must
                in some manner directly support a SIP objective unless the rules have
                changed. In that I'm on both the SAC and the PTO here at our school, they
                are completely separate entities and other than mutual support, there is
                never any crossing of funds. Check the Florida Statute governing the SAC.

                Gerry Lowther, Bay County

                Life's way too short
                To drink bad wine !

                _____

                Message 7 of 9 , Jan 21, 2010
                  I've been sorely missing active discussions on this group. Now I know why. Jeanne - what is Differntiated Accountability? I haven't run across that term. What is it?

                  Thanks.

                  Barbara

                  --- In FL-SAC@yahoogroups.com, "Jeanne" <jeannejusevic@...> wrote:

                  > It is not appropriate to turn over accountability funds to an outside organization without the express permission of SAC. Also, SAC should be meeting once a month, and should be over seeing the SIP. The changes in state law have put the responsibility on the principal to report to SAC on a quarterly basis as to how the school is implementing the SAP and how it seems to be working.
                  > Also Differentiated Accountability may be in the mix depending one whether your school falls in the D.A. categories.
                  >
                  > Jeanne

                • Jeanne
                  Message 8 of 9 , Jan 21, 2010
                    Differentiated Accountability is the new state law that aligns our state standards with NCLB. It now imposes sanctions on non-title 1 schools for not making AYP. It imposes State supervision on perfectly good schools that have populations that must make specific numerical learning gains with out extra money, but with the state D.A> monitors using all the methods many of us hate to achieve their statistical goals.

                    I have attached a brief power point.

                    Jeanne

                    I've been sorely missing active discussions on this group. Now I know why. Jeanne - what is Differntiated Accountability? I haven't run across that term. What is it?

                    Thanks.

                    Barbara

                    --- In FL-SAC@yahoogroups.com, "Jeanne" <jeannejusevic@...> wrote:

                    > It is not appropriate to turn over accountability funds to an outside organization without the express permission of SAC. Also, SAC should be meeting once a month, and should be over seeing the SIP. The changes in state law have put the responsibility on the principal to report to SAC on a quarterly basis as to how the school is implementing the SAP and how it seems to be working.
                    > Also Differentiated Accountability may be in the mix depending one whether your school falls in the D.A. categories.
                    >
                    > Jeanne

                  • Jeanne
                    Message 9 of 9 , Jan 21, 2010
                      At least I thought I did