RE: [FJGRailroad] HO model for FJG bus

    Message 1 of 20 , May 3, 2004
      I have that calalog! Where can we find the right color
      for that FJG bus?

      Message 2 of 20 , May 3, 2004
        That is certainly the same kind of bus!

        > This one is for Steve L., Gino, and anybody else modeling the FJ&G in
        > HO.
        >
        > The new Walthers catalogue has a 1934 Ford bus kit that is dead-on
        > for the kind the FJ&G used.
        >
        > It is "Jordan Products" item  # 360-229 21 for $5.98.  It is pictured
        >  on page 38 of the "May" catalogue promoting a sale which ends
        > 7/31/04. ---Andy Fusco

        Visit Gino's Railpage at
        http://www.ginosrailpage.com
        Visit Pete Seftons Lost Landmark Page
        http://www.lostlandmarks.org
        Visit The NERAIL North American Photo Archive at http://naphotos.nerail.org/

      • andrewsfusco
        Message 3 of 20 , May 4, 2004
          I've never seen a color picture of the old
          Ford buses, and they were well before my time.

          I do remember (and rode on) the "modern" style
          ones from the '50s. They were a lighter orange
          (than the diesels), cream, and trimmed and lettered
          in black. There is a Krylon spray orange called
          Popsicle Orange that is accurate (or at least as
          accurate as this chemo-fried brain can remember.)

          I scratch-built a coach and mounted it on a '33
          Ford truck cab/frame to make my old style bus
          in 1/43rd. I am so jealous of you HO guys; it
          seems like anything ever built is available in
          1/87th.---Andy Fusco

          <Gino.Dicarlo@q...>
          wrote:
          > I have that calalog! Where can we find the right color
          > for that FJG bus?
          >
          > Gino

        • stevefjg30
          Message 4 of 20 , May 5, 2004
            Thankyou Andy i will be going to order some today.

            SteveL
            --- In FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com, "andrewsfusco" <fusco@b...>

            Message 5 of 20 , May 5, 2004
              You home Steve?

              wrote:
              > This one is for Steve L., Gino,
              > and anybody else modeling the FJ&G
              > in HO.
              >
              > The new Walthers catalogue has a
              > 1934 Ford bus kit that is dead-on
              > for the kind the FJ&G used.
              >
              > It is "Jordan Products" item #
              > 360-229 21 for $5.98. It is pictured
              > on page 38 of the "May" catalogue
              > promoting a sale which ends 7/31/04.
              > ---Andy Fusco

              Visit Gino's Railpage at
              http://www.ginosrailpage.com
              Visit Pete Seftons Lost Landmark Page
              http://www.lostlandmarks.org
              Visit The NERAIL North American Photo Archive at http://naphotos.nerail.org/
              Yahoo! Groups Links
            • Walt Danylak
              Message 6 of 20 , May 5, 2004
                While the model of the Ford bus does look like the early FJ&G buses,
                none of the early, prior to the 1930s, were from Ford. All the early
                buses were puchased from Mack. When the electric division was
                abandoned, most of the replacement buses were purchased from Yellow
                (GMC?). Later on the FJ&G purchased some buses from Ford and again
                from Mack. The Ford buses were the ones that were used on the Belt
                Line during the 1950s and later sold to Mohawk Valley Transit.

                Walt
              • stevefjg30
                Message 7 of 20 , May 5, 2004
                  Just returned from the hobby shop and picked up the bus it's a 1934
                  Ford 21 passenger bus it looks pretty close to the picture of #42 on
                  the second to last page of Steam and Trolly Days can enyone tell me
                  what color the busses were at least this one i'am still going to do
                  it in FJ&G,close enough works for me when it comes to the busses.

                  Steve Lamora.

                  PS Gino i had Paul order two more if you want one let me know i'll
                  get it for you i'll probebly get one more
                  myself

                  --- In FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com, "Walt Danylak"

                  Message 8 of 20 , May 5, 2004
                    I haven't "number identifiable" pictures of the 21 seat Yellow 733 busses
                    purchased in 1936 (50-59), or the 733's in 1937 (44-46), or the 733's
                    purchased in 1938 (33, 47-49), so I can't tell you definitively (I can't say
                    I know what a 733 looks like) whether this Ford bus is like an FJ&G bus or
                    not, but I don't think so. These were the only 21 seaters purchased by the
                    FJ&G and I believe they were the cheesebox style. The engine forward
                    busses used on the routes were all Macks with either more or fewer windows
                    along the side and without the slope on the front of the roof. FJ&G's Ford
                    busses were 611's purchased in 1945, numbered 81-86.

                    Anyone have pictures of those 40's, 50's or 80's they will share?

                    PKL

                    >From: "Dicarlo, Gino" <Gino.Dicarlo@...>
                    >To: <FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com>
                    >Subject: RE: [FJGRailroad] HO model for FJG bus
                    >Date: Mon, 3 May 2004 13:48:17 -0500
                    >
                    >That is certainly the same kind of bus!
                    >
                    >Gino

                  • pklarner
                    Message 9 of 20 , May 5, 2004
                      Steve, They were the original use of the orange, black and cream
                      color scheme. If you can tell from that photo of the 42, those are
                      the colors to use. I have clear photos of those buses at the Mack
                      plant.

                      PKL

                      --- In FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com, "stevefjg30" <Klcl19@w...> wrote:
                      > Just returned from the hobby shop and picked up the bus it's a
                      1934
                      > Ford 21 passenger bus it looks pretty close to the picture of #42
                      on
                      > the second to last page of Steam and Trolly Days can enyone tell me
                      > what color the busses were at least this one i'am still going to do
                      > it in FJ&G,close enough works for me when it comes to the busses.
                      >
                      > Steve Lamora.
                      >
                      > PS Gino i had Paul order two more if you want one let me know i'll
                      > get it for you i'll probebly get one more

                      myself

                      > --- In FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com, "Walt Danylak"
                      > <waltdanylak@c...> wrote:
                      > > While the model of the Ford bus does look like the early FJ&G
                      > buses,
                      > > none of the early, prior to the 1930s, were from Ford. All the
                      > early
                      > > buses were puchased from Mack. When the electric division was
                      > > abandoned, most of the replacement buses were purchased from
                      Yellow
                      > > (GMC?). Later on the FJ&G purchased some buses from Ford and
                      again
                      > > from Mack. The Ford buses were the ones that were used on the
                      Belt
                      > > Line during the 1950s and later sold to Mohawk Valley Transit.
                      > >
                      > > Walt
                    • stevefjg30
                      Message 10 of 20 , May 6, 2004
                        Hi Paul,
                        Looking at the picture and the model there ppretty close the ford
                        dose have a slight slop to the roof.It looks like the big diffrance
                        isthe driver side door the model has a straight door the 42 has a
                        ageled door with a diffrent window on the driver side the model dose
                        have the proper window arangement for the rest of the bus.It's the
                        best we have for now!!Hopefully somebody will start doing more Mack
                        models.Like the freight and Baggage truck would be great!!!!!!I would
                        love to have one of those.

                        Steve

                        --- In FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com, "paul larner" <pklarner@h...>
                        wrote:
                        > I haven't "number identifiable" pictures of the 21 seat Yellow 733
                        busses
                        > purchased in 1936 (50-59), or the 733's in 1937 (44-46), or the
                        733's
                        > purchased in 1938 (33, 47-49), so I can't tell you definitively (I
                        can't say
                        > I know what a 733 looks like) whether this Ford bus is like an FJ&G
                        bus or
                        > not, but I don't think so. These were the only 21 seaters
                        purchased by the
                        > FJ&G and I believe they were the cheesebox style. The engine
                        forward
                        > busses used on the routes were all Macks with either more or fewer
                        windows
                        > along the side and without the slope on the front of the roof.
                        FJ&G's Ford
                        > busses were 611's purchased in 1945, numbered 81-86.
                        >
                        > Anyone have pictures of those 40's, 50's or 80's they will share?
                        >
                        > PKL
                        >
                        > >From: "Dicarlo, Gino" <Gino.Dicarlo@q...>
                        > >To: <FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com>
                        > >Subject: RE: [FJGRailroad] HO model for FJG bus
                        > >Date: Mon, 3 May 2004 13:48:17 -0500
                        > >
                        > >That is certainly the same kind of bus!
                        > >
                        > >Gino

                        subject=Unsubscribe>

                      • psefton@comcast.net
                        Message 11 of 20 , May 6, 2004
                          Can't you see one of these at Verelikers?

                        • pklarner
                          Message 12 of 20 , May 6, 2004
                            Steve,

                            Those early Mack busses were all gone in the 40's. Most all of the
                            733's were gone by 1952. If you check with the Motor Bus group you
                            may be able to locate the correct models for your time frame. The
                            Ford 611's were the common local busses, Fonda to Gloversville,from
                            1945 to the end. The company operated a second group of four Macks
                            in the 90 series between Gloversville and Broadalbin and Northville.
                            These were acquired in 1946.

                          • Malcolm Horton
                            Message 13 of 20 , May 7, 2004
                              The Gloversville High School band used to have a spring outing at Pine Lake in the late 1930's. We went by FJ&G chartered buses having their engines in the front. When climbing the long Mary Jane Peck Hill, just west of town, the driver would be steering with his left hand and pushing and pulling a piston, which projected out from the front of the dashboard, with his right hand. I asked him what he was doing. He said that the normal fuel pump was operated by engine vacuum. It pumped gasoline to a small holding tank on the engine side of the firewall where it then flowed by gravity to the carburetor. When on a long hill, the engine vacuum dropped to a very low value and the fuel pump either stopped completely or at best, ran very slowly. At the same time, the demand for fuel was very high. The hand pump then had to be used to prevent running out of fuel to the carburetor else the engine would stall.
                                  This is just an interesting side light on the subject of Mack buses at that time. Thankfully, you don't have to model the hand pump.

                              Malcolm Horton

                              I haven't "number identifiable" pictures of the 21 seat Yellow 733 busses
                              purchased in 1936 (50-59), or the 733's in 1937 (44-46), or the 733's
                              purchased in 1938 (33, 47-49), so I can't tell you definitively (I can't say
                              I know what a 733 looks like) whether this Ford bus is like an FJ&G bus or
                              not, but I don't think so.  These were the only 21 seaters purchased by the
                              FJ&G and I believe they were the cheesebox style.   The engine forward
                              busses used on the routes were all Macks with either more or fewer windows
                              along the side and without the slope on the front of the roof.  FJ&G's Ford
                              busses were 611's purchased in 1945, numbered 81-86.

                              Anyone have pictures of those 40's, 50's or 80's they will share?

                              PKL

                              >From: "Dicarlo, Gino" <Gino.Dicarlo@...>
                              >To: <FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com>
                              >Subject: RE: [FJGRailroad] HO model for FJG bus
                              >Date: Mon, 3 May 2004 13:48:17 -0500
                              >
                              >That is certainly the same kind of bus!
                              >
                              >Gino

                              http://us.click.yahoo.com/L5YrjA/eSIIAA/yQLSAA/j2LplB/TM

                                   http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                            • Glenn J. Williams
                              Message 14 of 20 , May 8, 2004
                                --- In FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com, "Malcolm Horton" <mdhorton@m...>
                                wrote:
                                > The Gloversville High School band used to have a spring outing at
                                Pine Lake in the late 1930's. We went by FJ&G chartered buses having
                                their engines in the front. When climbing the long Mary Jane Peck
                                Hill, just west of town, the driver would be steering with his left
                                hand and pushing and pulling a piston, which projected out from the
                                front of the dashboard, with his right hand. I asked him what he was
                                doing. He said that the normal fuel pump was operated by engine
                                vacuum. It pumped gasoline to a small holding tank on the engine side
                                of the firewall where it then flowed by gravity to the carburetor.
                                When on a long hill, the engine vacuum dropped to a very low value
                                and the fuel pump either stopped completely or at best, ran very
                                slowly. At the same time, the demand for fuel was very high. The hand
                                pump then had to be used to prevent running out of fuel to the
                                carburetor else the engine would stall.
                                > This is just an interesting side light on the subject of Mack
                                buses at that time. Thankfully, you don't have to model the hand pump.

                                > Malcolm Horton

                                Malcolm,

                                Boy, does that bring back memories for my father. He originally said
                                that any car that could make it up Mary Jane Peck Hill was a car
                                worth having. He later modified it to add "in high gear" as cars got
                                better.

                                Glenn
                              • mwilber@webtv.net
                                Message 15 of 20 , May 8, 2004
                                  Off-Topic- Isnt this the weekend when the birds returns to
                                  Northville?Anyone knows what Im talking about?Mark
                                • Dick Ryall
                                  Message 16 of 20 , May 8, 2004
                                    swallows in the old smoke stack, quite a site, I`ve seen it. dick

                                  • mwilber@webtv.net
                                    Message 17 of 20 , May 9, 2004
                                      Dick-Ive seen it once before,you're right its something to see.Strange
                                      enough those birds return every year on the guys birthday that founded
                                      the old factory.Mark
                                    • Dick Ryall
                                      Message 18 of 20 , May 9, 2004
                                        Interesting, Mark I did`nt know about the birthday bit. Thanks dick