Re: [FJGRailroad] HO model for FJG bus

    Message 1 of 20 , May 3 11:47 AM
      If you want a look:

      http://www.walthers.com/exec/productinfo/360-229

      Paul :-)

      Message 2 of 20 , May 3 11:47 AM
        I have that calalog! Where can we find the right color
        for that FJG bus?

        Message 3 of 20 , May 3 11:48 AM
          That is certainly the same kind of bus!

          > This one is for Steve L., Gino, and anybody else modeling the FJ&G in
          > HO.
          >
          > The new Walthers catalogue has a 1934 Ford bus kit that is dead-on
          > for the kind the FJ&G used.
          >
          > It is "Jordan Products" item  # 360-229 21 for $5.98.  It is pictured
          >  on page 38 of the "May" catalogue promoting a sale which ends
          > 7/31/04. ---Andy Fusco

          Visit Gino's Railpage at
          http://www.ginosrailpage.com
          Visit Pete Seftons Lost Landmark Page
          http://www.lostlandmarks.org
          Visit The NERAIL North American Photo Archive at http://naphotos.nerail.org/

        • andrewsfusco
          Message 4 of 20 , May 4 6:58 AM
            I've never seen a color picture of the old
            Ford buses, and they were well before my time.

            I do remember (and rode on) the "modern" style
            ones from the '50s. They were a lighter orange
            (than the diesels), cream, and trimmed and lettered
            in black. There is a Krylon spray orange called
            Popsicle Orange that is accurate (or at least as
            accurate as this chemo-fried brain can remember.)

            I scratch-built a coach and mounted it on a '33
            Ford truck cab/frame to make my old style bus
            in 1/43rd. I am so jealous of you HO guys; it
            seems like anything ever built is available in
            1/87th.---Andy Fusco

            <Gino.Dicarlo@q...>
            wrote:
            > I have that calalog! Where can we find the right color
            > for that FJG bus?
            >
            > Gino

          • stevefjg30
            Message 5 of 20 , May 5 6:12 AM
              Thankyou Andy i will be going to order some today.

              SteveL
              --- In FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com, "andrewsfusco" <fusco@b...>

              Message 6 of 20 , May 5 6:48 AM
                You home Steve?

                wrote:
                > This one is for Steve L., Gino,
                > and anybody else modeling the FJ&G
                > in HO.
                >
                > The new Walthers catalogue has a
                > 1934 Ford bus kit that is dead-on
                > for the kind the FJ&G used.
                >
                > It is "Jordan Products" item #
                > 360-229 21 for $5.98. It is pictured
                > on page 38 of the "May" catalogue
                > promoting a sale which ends 7/31/04.
                > ---Andy Fusco

                Visit Gino's Railpage at
                http://www.ginosrailpage.com
                Visit Pete Seftons Lost Landmark Page
                http://www.lostlandmarks.org
                Visit The NERAIL North American Photo Archive at http://naphotos.nerail.org/
                Yahoo! Groups Links
              • Walt Danylak
                Message 7 of 20 , May 5 7:04 AM
                  While the model of the Ford bus does look like the early FJ&G buses,
                  none of the early, prior to the 1930s, were from Ford. All the early
                  buses were puchased from Mack. When the electric division was
                  abandoned, most of the replacement buses were purchased from Yellow
                  (GMC?). Later on the FJ&G purchased some buses from Ford and again
                  from Mack. The Ford buses were the ones that were used on the Belt
                  Line during the 1950s and later sold to Mohawk Valley Transit.

                  Walt
                • stevefjg30
                  Message 8 of 20 , May 5 6:32 PM
                    Just returned from the hobby shop and picked up the bus it's a 1934
                    Ford 21 passenger bus it looks pretty close to the picture of #42 on
                    the second to last page of Steam and Trolly Days can enyone tell me
                    what color the busses were at least this one i'am still going to do
                    it in FJ&G,close enough works for me when it comes to the busses.

                    Steve Lamora.

                    PS Gino i had Paul order two more if you want one let me know i'll
                    get it for you i'll probebly get one more
                    myself

                    --- In FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com, "Walt Danylak"

                    Message 9 of 20 , May 5 8:06 PM
                      I haven't "number identifiable" pictures of the 21 seat Yellow 733 busses
                      purchased in 1936 (50-59), or the 733's in 1937 (44-46), or the 733's
                      purchased in 1938 (33, 47-49), so I can't tell you definitively (I can't say
                      I know what a 733 looks like) whether this Ford bus is like an FJ&G bus or
                      not, but I don't think so. These were the only 21 seaters purchased by the
                      FJ&G and I believe they were the cheesebox style. The engine forward
                      busses used on the routes were all Macks with either more or fewer windows
                      along the side and without the slope on the front of the roof. FJ&G's Ford
                      busses were 611's purchased in 1945, numbered 81-86.

                      Anyone have pictures of those 40's, 50's or 80's they will share?

                      PKL

                      >From: "Dicarlo, Gino" <Gino.Dicarlo@...>
                      >To: <FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com>
                      >Subject: RE: [FJGRailroad] HO model for FJG bus
                      >Date: Mon, 3 May 2004 13:48:17 -0500
                      >
                      >That is certainly the same kind of bus!
                      >
                      >Gino

                    • pklarner
                      Message 10 of 20 , May 5 10:08 PM
                        Steve, They were the original use of the orange, black and cream
                        color scheme. If you can tell from that photo of the 42, those are
                        the colors to use. I have clear photos of those buses at the Mack
                        plant.

                        PKL

                        --- In FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com, "stevefjg30" <Klcl19@w...> wrote:
                        > Just returned from the hobby shop and picked up the bus it's a
                        1934
                        > Ford 21 passenger bus it looks pretty close to the picture of #42
                        on
                        > the second to last page of Steam and Trolly Days can enyone tell me
                        > what color the busses were at least this one i'am still going to do
                        > it in FJ&G,close enough works for me when it comes to the busses.
                        >
                        > Steve Lamora.
                        >
                        > PS Gino i had Paul order two more if you want one let me know i'll
                        > get it for you i'll probebly get one more

                        myself

                        > --- In FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com, "Walt Danylak"
                        > <waltdanylak@c...> wrote:
                        > > While the model of the Ford bus does look like the early FJ&G
                        > buses,
                        > > none of the early, prior to the 1930s, were from Ford. All the
                        > early
                        > > buses were puchased from Mack. When the electric division was
                        > > abandoned, most of the replacement buses were purchased from
                        Yellow
                        > > (GMC?). Later on the FJ&G purchased some buses from Ford and
                        again
                        > > from Mack. The Ford buses were the ones that were used on the
                        Belt
                        > > Line during the 1950s and later sold to Mohawk Valley Transit.
                        > >
                        > > Walt
                      • stevefjg30
                        Message 11 of 20 , May 6 11:54 AM
                          Hi Paul,
                          Looking at the picture and the model there ppretty close the ford
                          dose have a slight slop to the roof.It looks like the big diffrance
                          isthe driver side door the model has a straight door the 42 has a
                          ageled door with a diffrent window on the driver side the model dose
                          have the proper window arangement for the rest of the bus.It's the
                          best we have for now!!Hopefully somebody will start doing more Mack
                          models.Like the freight and Baggage truck would be great!!!!!!I would
                          love to have one of those.

                          Steve

                          --- In FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com, "paul larner" <pklarner@h...>
                          wrote:
                          > I haven't "number identifiable" pictures of the 21 seat Yellow 733
                          busses
                          > purchased in 1936 (50-59), or the 733's in 1937 (44-46), or the
                          733's
                          > purchased in 1938 (33, 47-49), so I can't tell you definitively (I
                          can't say
                          > I know what a 733 looks like) whether this Ford bus is like an FJ&G
                          bus or
                          > not, but I don't think so. These were the only 21 seaters
                          purchased by the
                          > FJ&G and I believe they were the cheesebox style. The engine
                          forward
                          > busses used on the routes were all Macks with either more or fewer
                          windows
                          > along the side and without the slope on the front of the roof.
                          FJ&G's Ford
                          > busses were 611's purchased in 1945, numbered 81-86.
                          >
                          > Anyone have pictures of those 40's, 50's or 80's they will share?
                          >
                          > PKL
                          >
                          > >From: "Dicarlo, Gino" <Gino.Dicarlo@q...>
                          > >To: <FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com>
                          > >Subject: RE: [FJGRailroad] HO model for FJG bus
                          > >Date: Mon, 3 May 2004 13:48:17 -0500
                          > >
                          > >That is certainly the same kind of bus!
                          > >
                          > >Gino

                          subject=Unsubscribe>

                        • psefton@comcast.net
                          Message 12 of 20 , May 6 1:40 PM
                            Can't you see one of these at Verelikers?

                          • pklarner
                            Message 13 of 20 , May 6 7:21 PM
                              Steve,

                              Those early Mack busses were all gone in the 40's. Most all of the
                              733's were gone by 1952. If you check with the Motor Bus group you
                              may be able to locate the correct models for your time frame. The
                              Ford 611's were the common local busses, Fonda to Gloversville,from
                              1945 to the end. The company operated a second group of four Macks
                              in the 90 series between Gloversville and Broadalbin and Northville.
                              These were acquired in 1946.

                            • Malcolm Horton
                              Message 14 of 20 , May 7 8:09 PM
                                The Gloversville High School band used to have a spring outing at Pine Lake in the late 1930's. We went by FJ&G chartered buses having their engines in the front. When climbing the long Mary Jane Peck Hill, just west of town, the driver would be steering with his left hand and pushing and pulling a piston, which projected out from the front of the dashboard, with his right hand. I asked him what he was doing. He said that the normal fuel pump was operated by engine vacuum. It pumped gasoline to a small holding tank on the engine side of the firewall where it then flowed by gravity to the carburetor. When on a long hill, the engine vacuum dropped to a very low value and the fuel pump either stopped completely or at best, ran very slowly. At the same time, the demand for fuel was very high. The hand pump then had to be used to prevent running out of fuel to the carburetor else the engine would stall.
                                    This is just an interesting side light on the subject of Mack buses at that time. Thankfully, you don't have to model the hand pump.

                                Malcolm Horton

                                I haven't "number identifiable" pictures of the 21 seat Yellow 733 busses
                                purchased in 1936 (50-59), or the 733's in 1937 (44-46), or the 733's
                                purchased in 1938 (33, 47-49), so I can't tell you definitively (I can't say
                                I know what a 733 looks like) whether this Ford bus is like an FJ&G bus or
                                not, but I don't think so.  These were the only 21 seaters purchased by the
                                FJ&G and I believe they were the cheesebox style.   The engine forward
                                busses used on the routes were all Macks with either more or fewer windows
                                along the side and without the slope on the front of the roof.  FJ&G's Ford
                                busses were 611's purchased in 1945, numbered 81-86.

                                Anyone have pictures of those 40's, 50's or 80's they will share?

                                PKL

                                >From: "Dicarlo, Gino" <Gino.Dicarlo@...>
                                >To: <FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com>
                                >Subject: RE: [FJGRailroad] HO model for FJG bus
                                >Date: Mon, 3 May 2004 13:48:17 -0500
                                >
                                >That is certainly the same kind of bus!
                                >
                                >Gino

                                http://us.click.yahoo.com/L5YrjA/eSIIAA/yQLSAA/j2LplB/TM

                                     http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                              • Glenn J. Williams
                                Message 15 of 20 , May 8 3:49 PM
                                  --- In FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com, "Malcolm Horton" <mdhorton@m...>
                                  wrote:
                                  > The Gloversville High School band used to have a spring outing at
                                  Pine Lake in the late 1930's. We went by FJ&G chartered buses having
                                  their engines in the front. When climbing the long Mary Jane Peck
                                  Hill, just west of town, the driver would be steering with his left
                                  hand and pushing and pulling a piston, which projected out from the
                                  front of the dashboard, with his right hand. I asked him what he was
                                  doing. He said that the normal fuel pump was operated by engine
                                  vacuum. It pumped gasoline to a small holding tank on the engine side
                                  of the firewall where it then flowed by gravity to the carburetor.
                                  When on a long hill, the engine vacuum dropped to a very low value
                                  and the fuel pump either stopped completely or at best, ran very
                                  slowly. At the same time, the demand for fuel was very high. The hand
                                  pump then had to be used to prevent running out of fuel to the
                                  carburetor else the engine would stall.
                                  > This is just an interesting side light on the subject of Mack
                                  buses at that time. Thankfully, you don't have to model the hand pump.

                                  > Malcolm Horton

                                  Malcolm,

                                  Boy, does that bring back memories for my father. He originally said
                                  that any car that could make it up Mary Jane Peck Hill was a car
                                  worth having. He later modified it to add "in high gear" as cars got
                                  better.

                                  Glenn
                                • mwilber@webtv.net
                                  Message 16 of 20 , May 8 6:56 PM
                                    Off-Topic- Isnt this the weekend when the birds returns to
                                    Northville?Anyone knows what Im talking about?Mark
                                  • Dick Ryall
                                    Message 17 of 20 , May 8 9:22 PM
                                      swallows in the old smoke stack, quite a site, I`ve seen it. dick

                                    • mwilber@webtv.net
                                      Message 18 of 20 , May 9 5:48 AM
                                        Dick-Ive seen it once before,you're right its something to see.Strange
                                        enough those birds return every year on the guys birthday that founded
                                        the old factory.Mark
                                      • Dick Ryall
                                        Message 19 of 20 , May 9 9:36 PM
                                          Interesting, Mark I did`nt know about the birthday bit. Thanks dick