HO model for FJG bus

  • andrewsfusco
    Message 1 of 20 , May 3, 2004
      This one is for Steve L., Gino,
      and anybody else modeling the FJ&G
      in HO.

      The new Walthers catalogue has a
      1934 Ford bus kit that is dead-on
      for the kind the FJ&G used.

      It is "Jordan Products" item #
      360-229 21 for $5.98. It is pictured
      on page 38 of the "May" catalogue
      promoting a sale which ends 7/31/04.
      ---Andy Fusco
      Message 2 of 20 , May 3, 2004
        If you want a look:

        http://www.walthers.com/exec/productinfo/360-229

        Paul :-)

        Message 3 of 20 , May 3, 2004
          I have that calalog! Where can we find the right color
          for that FJG bus?

          Message 4 of 20 , May 3, 2004
            That is certainly the same kind of bus!

            Message 5 of 20 , May 4, 2004
              I've never seen a color picture of the old
              Ford buses, and they were well before my time.

              I do remember (and rode on) the "modern" style
              ones from the '50s. They were a lighter orange
              (than the diesels), cream, and trimmed and lettered
              in black. There is a Krylon spray orange called
              Popsicle Orange that is accurate (or at least as
              accurate as this chemo-fried brain can remember.)

              I scratch-built a coach and mounted it on a '33
              Ford truck cab/frame to make my old style bus
              in 1/43rd. I am so jealous of you HO guys; it
              seems like anything ever built is available in
              1/87th.---Andy Fusco

              <Gino.Dicarlo@q...>
              wrote:
              > I have that calalog! Where can we find the right color
              > for that FJG bus?
              >
              > Gino

            • stevefjg30
              Message 6 of 20 , May 5, 2004
                Thankyou Andy i will be going to order some today.

                SteveL
                --- In FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com, "andrewsfusco" <fusco@b...>

                Message 7 of 20 , May 5, 2004
                  You home Steve?

                  wrote:
                  > This one is for Steve L., Gino,
                  > and anybody else modeling the FJ&G
                  > in HO.
                  >
                  > The new Walthers catalogue has a
                  > 1934 Ford bus kit that is dead-on
                  > for the kind the FJ&G used.
                  >
                  > It is "Jordan Products" item #
                  > 360-229 21 for $5.98. It is pictured
                  > on page 38 of the "May" catalogue
                  > promoting a sale which ends 7/31/04.
                  > ---Andy Fusco

                  Visit Gino's Railpage at
                  http://www.ginosrailpage.com
                  Visit Pete Seftons Lost Landmark Page
                  http://www.lostlandmarks.org
                  Visit The NERAIL North American Photo Archive at http://naphotos.nerail.org/
                  Yahoo! Groups Links
                • Walt Danylak
                  Message 8 of 20 , May 5, 2004
                    While the model of the Ford bus does look like the early FJ&G buses,
                    none of the early, prior to the 1930s, were from Ford. All the early
                    buses were puchased from Mack. When the electric division was
                    abandoned, most of the replacement buses were purchased from Yellow
                    (GMC?). Later on the FJ&G purchased some buses from Ford and again
                    from Mack. The Ford buses were the ones that were used on the Belt
                    Line during the 1950s and later sold to Mohawk Valley Transit.

                    Walt
                  • stevefjg30
                    Message 9 of 20 , May 5, 2004
                      Just returned from the hobby shop and picked up the bus it's a 1934
                      Ford 21 passenger bus it looks pretty close to the picture of #42 on
                      the second to last page of Steam and Trolly Days can enyone tell me
                      what color the busses were at least this one i'am still going to do
                      it in FJ&G,close enough works for me when it comes to the busses.

                      Steve Lamora.

                      PS Gino i had Paul order two more if you want one let me know i'll
                      get it for you i'll probebly get one more
                      myself

                      --- In FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com, "Walt Danylak"

                      Message 10 of 20 , May 5, 2004
                        I haven't "number identifiable" pictures of the 21 seat Yellow 733 busses
                        purchased in 1936 (50-59), or the 733's in 1937 (44-46), or the 733's
                        purchased in 1938 (33, 47-49), so I can't tell you definitively (I can't say
                        I know what a 733 looks like) whether this Ford bus is like an FJ&G bus or
                        not, but I don't think so. These were the only 21 seaters purchased by the
                        FJ&G and I believe they were the cheesebox style. The engine forward
                        busses used on the routes were all Macks with either more or fewer windows
                        along the side and without the slope on the front of the roof. FJ&G's Ford
                        busses were 611's purchased in 1945, numbered 81-86.

                        Anyone have pictures of those 40's, 50's or 80's they will share?

                        PKL

                        >From: "Dicarlo, Gino" <Gino.Dicarlo@...>
                        >To: <FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com>
                        >Subject: RE: [FJGRailroad] HO model for FJG bus
                        >Date: Mon, 3 May 2004 13:48:17 -0500
                        >
                        >That is certainly the same kind of bus!
                        >
                        >Gino

                      • pklarner
                        Message 11 of 20 , May 5, 2004
                          Steve, They were the original use of the orange, black and cream
                          color scheme. If you can tell from that photo of the 42, those are
                          the colors to use. I have clear photos of those buses at the Mack
                          plant.

                          PKL

                          --- In FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com, "stevefjg30" <Klcl19@w...> wrote:
                          > Just returned from the hobby shop and picked up the bus it's a
                          1934
                          > Ford 21 passenger bus it looks pretty close to the picture of #42
                          on
                          > the second to last page of Steam and Trolly Days can enyone tell me
                          > what color the busses were at least this one i'am still going to do
                          > it in FJ&G,close enough works for me when it comes to the busses.
                          >
                          > Steve Lamora.
                          >
                          > PS Gino i had Paul order two more if you want one let me know i'll
                          > get it for you i'll probebly get one more

                          myself

                          > --- In FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com, "Walt Danylak"
                          > <waltdanylak@c...> wrote:
                          > > While the model of the Ford bus does look like the early FJ&G
                          > buses,
                          > > none of the early, prior to the 1930s, were from Ford. All the
                          > early
                          > > buses were puchased from Mack. When the electric division was
                          > > abandoned, most of the replacement buses were purchased from
                          Yellow
                          > > (GMC?). Later on the FJ&G purchased some buses from Ford and
                          again
                          > > from Mack. The Ford buses were the ones that were used on the
                          Belt
                          > > Line during the 1950s and later sold to Mohawk Valley Transit.
                          > >
                          > > Walt
                        • stevefjg30
                          Message 12 of 20 , May 6, 2004
                            Hi Paul,
                            Looking at the picture and the model there ppretty close the ford
                            dose have a slight slop to the roof.It looks like the big diffrance
                            isthe driver side door the model has a straight door the 42 has a
                            ageled door with a diffrent window on the driver side the model dose
                            have the proper window arangement for the rest of the bus.It's the
                            best we have for now!!Hopefully somebody will start doing more Mack
                            models.Like the freight and Baggage truck would be great!!!!!!I would
                            love to have one of those.

                            Steve

                            --- In FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com, "paul larner" <pklarner@h...>
                            wrote:
                            > I haven't "number identifiable" pictures of the 21 seat Yellow 733
                            busses
                            > purchased in 1936 (50-59), or the 733's in 1937 (44-46), or the
                            733's
                            > purchased in 1938 (33, 47-49), so I can't tell you definitively (I
                            can't say
                            > I know what a 733 looks like) whether this Ford bus is like an FJ&G
                            bus or
                            > not, but I don't think so. These were the only 21 seaters
                            purchased by the
                            > FJ&G and I believe they were the cheesebox style. The engine
                            forward
                            > busses used on the routes were all Macks with either more or fewer
                            windows
                            > along the side and without the slope on the front of the roof.
                            FJ&G's Ford
                            > busses were 611's purchased in 1945, numbered 81-86.
                            >
                            > Anyone have pictures of those 40's, 50's or 80's they will share?
                            >
                            > PKL
                            >
                            > >From: "Dicarlo, Gino" <Gino.Dicarlo@q...>
                            > >To: <FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com>
                            > >Subject: RE: [FJGRailroad] HO model for FJG bus
                            > >Date: Mon, 3 May 2004 13:48:17 -0500
                            > >
                            > >That is certainly the same kind of bus!
                            > >
                            > >Gino

                            subject=Unsubscribe>

                          • psefton@comcast.net
                            Message 13 of 20 , May 6, 2004
                              Can't you see one of these at Verelikers?

                            • pklarner
                              Message 14 of 20 , May 6, 2004
                                Steve,

                                Those early Mack busses were all gone in the 40's. Most all of the
                                733's were gone by 1952. If you check with the Motor Bus group you
                                may be able to locate the correct models for your time frame. The
                                Ford 611's were the common local busses, Fonda to Gloversville,from
                                1945 to the end. The company operated a second group of four Macks
                                in the 90 series between Gloversville and Broadalbin and Northville.
                                These were acquired in 1946.

                              • Malcolm Horton
                                Message 15 of 20 , May 7, 2004
                                  The Gloversville High School band used to have a spring outing at Pine Lake in the late 1930's. We went by FJ&G chartered buses having their engines in the front. When climbing the long Mary Jane Peck Hill, just west of town, the driver would be steering with his left hand and pushing and pulling a piston, which projected out from the front of the dashboard, with his right hand. I asked him what he was doing. He said that the normal fuel pump was operated by engine vacuum. It pumped gasoline to a small holding tank on the engine side of the firewall where it then flowed by gravity to the carburetor. When on a long hill, the engine vacuum dropped to a very low value and the fuel pump either stopped completely or at best, ran very slowly. At the same time, the demand for fuel was very high. The hand pump then had to be used to prevent running out of fuel to the carburetor else the engine would stall.
                                      This is just an interesting side light on the subject of Mack buses at that time. Thankfully, you don't have to model the hand pump.

                                  Malcolm Horton

                                  I haven't "number identifiable" pictures of the 21 seat Yellow 733 busses
                                  purchased in 1936 (50-59), or the 733's in 1937 (44-46), or the 733's
                                  purchased in 1938 (33, 47-49), so I can't tell you definitively (I can't say
                                  I know what a 733 looks like) whether this Ford bus is like an FJ&G bus or
                                  not, but I don't think so.  These were the only 21 seaters purchased by the
                                  FJ&G and I believe they were the cheesebox style.   The engine forward
                                  busses used on the routes were all Macks with either more or fewer windows
                                  along the side and without the slope on the front of the roof.  FJ&G's Ford
                                  busses were 611's purchased in 1945, numbered 81-86.

                                  Anyone have pictures of those 40's, 50's or 80's they will share?

                                  PKL

                                  >From: "Dicarlo, Gino" <Gino.Dicarlo@...>
                                  >To: <FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com>
                                  >Subject: RE: [FJGRailroad] HO model for FJG bus
                                  >Date: Mon, 3 May 2004 13:48:17 -0500
                                  >
                                  >That is certainly the same kind of bus!
                                  >
                                  >Gino

                                  http://us.click.yahoo.com/L5YrjA/eSIIAA/yQLSAA/j2LplB/TM

                                       http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                                • Glenn J. Williams
                                  Message 16 of 20 , May 8, 2004
                                    --- In FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com, "Malcolm Horton" <mdhorton@m...>
                                    wrote:
                                    > The Gloversville High School band used to have a spring outing at
                                    Pine Lake in the late 1930's. We went by FJ&G chartered buses having
                                    their engines in the front. When climbing the long Mary Jane Peck
                                    Hill, just west of town, the driver would be steering with his left
                                    hand and pushing and pulling a piston, which projected out from the
                                    front of the dashboard, with his right hand. I asked him what he was
                                    doing. He said that the normal fuel pump was operated by engine
                                    vacuum. It pumped gasoline to a small holding tank on the engine side
                                    of the firewall where it then flowed by gravity to the carburetor.
                                    When on a long hill, the engine vacuum dropped to a very low value
                                    and the fuel pump either stopped completely or at best, ran very
                                    slowly. At the same time, the demand for fuel was very high. The hand
                                    pump then had to be used to prevent running out of fuel to the
                                    carburetor else the engine would stall.
                                    > This is just an interesting side light on the subject of Mack
                                    buses at that time. Thankfully, you don't have to model the hand pump.

                                    > Malcolm Horton

                                    Malcolm,

                                    Boy, does that bring back memories for my father. He originally said
                                    that any car that could make it up Mary Jane Peck Hill was a car
                                    worth having. He later modified it to add "in high gear" as cars got
                                    better.

                                    Glenn
                                  • mwilber@webtv.net
                                    Message 17 of 20 , May 8, 2004
                                      Off-Topic- Isnt this the weekend when the birds returns to
                                      Northville?Anyone knows what Im talking about?Mark
                                    • Dick Ryall
                                      Message 18 of 20 , May 8, 2004
                                        swallows in the old smoke stack, quite a site, I`ve seen it. dick

                                      • mwilber@webtv.net
                                        Message 19 of 20 , May 9, 2004
                                          Dick-Ive seen it once before,you're right its something to see.Strange
                                          enough those birds return every year on the guys birthday that founded
                                          the old factory.Mark
                                        • Dick Ryall
                                          Message 20 of 20 , May 9, 2004
                                            Interesting, Mark I did`nt know about the birthday bit. Thanks dick