RE: [FJGRailroad] Re: So I had a Question...

    Message 1 of 16 , May 3, 2004
      That's where I thought the service came from, Rotterdam Jct.

      Message 2 of 16 , May 3, 2004
        --- In FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com, Paul Charland <p.charlie@s...>
        wrote:
        > Hi Walt,
        >
        > Thanks for the information. Think the locals were DeWitt to
        > Selkirk numbered WD-5 and DW-74 if my memory serves me.
        >
        > [snip]
        >
        > This does lead me to the next question though. If the freight
        > schedule only allows about twenty minutes to turn a train in Fonda,
        > when did they have time to weigh cars and did they just grab
        > the "next 600 tons" and head up the hill with them?
        >
        > Paul :-)

        Welcome back, Paul!

        At the time I was actively watching the FJ&G (the late 50s and early
        60s, the NYC locals servicing Fonda were VD75 and DV4. The train
        numbers may well have changed, though.

        Paul Larner once mentioned to me that at one point, the scales at
        Fonda were no longer used and the cars were weighed at another
        location. Which location(s)? Paul will have to refresh our
        collective memories on that one.

        I have slides of NYC SW1s (and an occasional Alco S) working the
        Fonda yard, so that job predates Penn Central.

        HTH.

        Glenn
      • Glenn J. Williams
        Message 3 of 16 , May 3, 2004
          --- In FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com, "Walt Danylak" <waltdanylak@c...>
          wrote:
          > In looking for additional info concerning Paul's post about the
          > SW-1, I came across the following photo. While it doesn't show much
          > of the SW-1, check out the green wood caboose. It is the only
          > recorded record of any of the "standard" 19000 series NYC wood
          > cabooses being painted green. The photo was taken in Amsterdam.
          >
          > http://lib2.clark.cc.oh.us/pc/nyc19001.jpg
          >
          > Walt

          Walt,

          Was that taken when the Central was so enamoured of jade green? Now,
          *there* was a colour that died a well-deserved death. . .

          Glenn