RE: [FJGRailroad] Re: So I had a Question...

    Message 1 of 16 , May 3, 2004
      That SW-1 was of NYC heritage. I shot it in Fonda around '77 or '78.

    • mwilber@webtv.net
      Message 2 of 16 , May 3, 2004
        I know after a period of time our cars were then being dropped off at
        Amsterdam from the mainline trains,then brought to Fonda with the local.
        Then I believe they changed again by having the mainline trains dropping
        everything off at Rotterdam Jct.Then their local dropped off and
        serviced the Amsterdam area and then brought our cars into Fonda.Maybe
        someone else can be certain on this.Somebody mention the scales in
        Fonda. We use to have to weigh all Martin Lumber cars going out.Another
        task in our job.Mark
        Message 3 of 16 , May 3, 2004
          That's where I thought the service came from, Rotterdam Jct.

          Message 4 of 16 , May 3, 2004
            wrote:
            > Hi Walt,
            >
            > Thanks for the information. Think the locals were DeWitt to
            > Selkirk numbered WD-5 and DW-74 if my memory serves me.
            >
            > [snip]
            >
            > This does lead me to the next question though. If the freight
            > schedule only allows about twenty minutes to turn a train in Fonda,
            > when did they have time to weigh cars and did they just grab
            > the "next 600 tons" and head up the hill with them?
            >
            > Paul :-)

            Welcome back, Paul!

            At the time I was actively watching the FJ&G (the late 50s and early
            60s, the NYC locals servicing Fonda were VD75 and DV4. The train
            numbers may well have changed, though.

            Paul Larner once mentioned to me that at one point, the scales at
            Fonda were no longer used and the cars were weighed at another
            location. Which location(s)? Paul will have to refresh our
            collective memories on that one.

            I have slides of NYC SW1s (and an occasional Alco S) working the
            Fonda yard, so that job predates Penn Central.

            HTH.

            Glenn
          • Glenn J. Williams
            Message 5 of 16 , May 3, 2004
              --- In FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com, "Walt Danylak" <waltdanylak@c...>
              wrote:
              > In looking for additional info concerning Paul's post about the
              > SW-1, I came across the following photo. While it doesn't show much
              > of the SW-1, check out the green wood caboose. It is the only
              > recorded record of any of the "standard" 19000 series NYC wood
              > cabooses being painted green. The photo was taken in Amsterdam.
              >
              > http://lib2.clark.cc.oh.us/pc/nyc19001.jpg
              >
              > Walt

              Walt,

              Was that taken when the Central was so enamoured of jade green? Now,
              *there* was a colour that died a well-deserved death. . .

              Glenn