Re: So I had a Question...

  • Walt Danylak
    Message 1 of 16 , May 2, 2004
      In looking for additional info concerning Paul's post about the SW-1,
      I came across the following photo. While it doesn't show much of the
      SW-1, check out the green wood caboose. It is the only recorded
      record of any of the "standard" 19000 series NYC wood cabooses being
      painted green. The photo was taken in Amsterdam.

      http://lib2.clark.cc.oh.us/pc/nyc19001.jpg

      Walt
      Message 2 of 16 , May 3, 2004
        I thought that the FJG was serviced by a local?  I have some shots of the NYC
        servicing the FJG.  I'll dig them out...

        Message 3 of 16 , May 3, 2004
          Hi Gino,

          Yes, it was serviced by a DeWitt to Selkirk local until Conrail (or was
          this a Penn Central thing). Been a while so I did screw up the train
          numbers from the late '50s, they should have been VD-5 and DV-74. Mark
          indicates the westbound was VD-7 and that could very well be at a
          different time as train numbers change from time to time. In Conrail
          times service was provided by a mainline train stopping to drop off or
          pick up a cut of cars.

          Paul :-)

          Message 4 of 16 , May 3, 2004
            That SW-1 was of NYC heritage. I shot it in Fonda around '77 or '78.

          • mwilber@webtv.net
            Message 5 of 16 , May 3, 2004
              I know after a period of time our cars were then being dropped off at
              Amsterdam from the mainline trains,then brought to Fonda with the local.
              Then I believe they changed again by having the mainline trains dropping
              everything off at Rotterdam Jct.Then their local dropped off and
              serviced the Amsterdam area and then brought our cars into Fonda.Maybe
              someone else can be certain on this.Somebody mention the scales in
              Fonda. We use to have to weigh all Martin Lumber cars going out.Another
              task in our job.Mark
              Message 6 of 16 , May 3, 2004
                That's where I thought the service came from, Rotterdam Jct.

                Message 7 of 16 , May 3, 2004
                  wrote:
                  > Hi Walt,
                  >
                  > Thanks for the information. Think the locals were DeWitt to
                  > Selkirk numbered WD-5 and DW-74 if my memory serves me.
                  >
                  > [snip]
                  >
                  > This does lead me to the next question though. If the freight
                  > schedule only allows about twenty minutes to turn a train in Fonda,
                  > when did they have time to weigh cars and did they just grab
                  > the "next 600 tons" and head up the hill with them?
                  >
                  > Paul :-)

                  Welcome back, Paul!

                  At the time I was actively watching the FJ&G (the late 50s and early
                  60s, the NYC locals servicing Fonda were VD75 and DV4. The train
                  numbers may well have changed, though.

                  Paul Larner once mentioned to me that at one point, the scales at
                  Fonda were no longer used and the cars were weighed at another
                  location. Which location(s)? Paul will have to refresh our
                  collective memories on that one.

                  I have slides of NYC SW1s (and an occasional Alco S) working the
                  Fonda yard, so that job predates Penn Central.

                  HTH.

                  Glenn
                • Glenn J. Williams
                  Message 8 of 16 , May 3, 2004
                    --- In FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com, "Walt Danylak" <waltdanylak@c...>
                    wrote:
                    > In looking for additional info concerning Paul's post about the
                    > SW-1, I came across the following photo. While it doesn't show much
                    > of the SW-1, check out the green wood caboose. It is the only
                    > recorded record of any of the "standard" 19000 series NYC wood
                    > cabooses being painted green. The photo was taken in Amsterdam.
                    >
                    > http://lib2.clark.cc.oh.us/pc/nyc19001.jpg
                    >
                    > Walt

                    Walt,

                    Was that taken when the Central was so enamoured of jade green? Now,
                    *there* was a colour that died a well-deserved death. . .

                    Glenn