Re: [FJGRailroad] Re: So I had a Question...

    Message 1 of 16 , May 1, 2004
      Hi Walt,

      Voorheesville NY, just northwest or Selkirk. It would have been the
      last possible stop for the local from DeWitt and the first possible stop
      from Selkirk for the return movement.

      Paul :-)

      Walt Danylak wrote:
      > --- In FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com, mwilber@w... wrote:
      > I believe the mainline Conrail train that served Fonda on a daily
      > basis was known at one time as the VD-7.
      >
      > Mark,
      >
      > I assume the D would stand for DeWitt, but what does the V stand for?
      >
      > Walt
      >

      > Visit Gino's Railpage at
      > http://www.ginosrailpage.com
      > Visit The Greater Capital District Railfan Assocation at http://gcdranet.homelinux.com/
      > Visit Pete Seftons Lost Landmark Page
      > http://www.lostlandmarks.org
      > Visit The NERAIL North American Photo Archive at http://naphotos.nerail.org/
      > Yahoo! Groups Links

    • Walt Danylak
      Message 2 of 16 , May 2, 2004
        In looking for additional info concerning Paul's post about the SW-1,
        I came across the following photo. While it doesn't show much of the
        SW-1, check out the green wood caboose. It is the only recorded
        record of any of the "standard" 19000 series NYC wood cabooses being
        painted green. The photo was taken in Amsterdam.

        http://lib2.clark.cc.oh.us/pc/nyc19001.jpg

        Walt
        Message 3 of 16 , May 3, 2004
          I thought that the FJG was serviced by a local?  I have some shots of the NYC
          servicing the FJG.  I'll dig them out...

          Message 4 of 16 , May 3, 2004
            Hi Gino,

            Yes, it was serviced by a DeWitt to Selkirk local until Conrail (or was
            this a Penn Central thing). Been a while so I did screw up the train
            numbers from the late '50s, they should have been VD-5 and DV-74. Mark
            indicates the westbound was VD-7 and that could very well be at a
            different time as train numbers change from time to time. In Conrail
            times service was provided by a mainline train stopping to drop off or
            pick up a cut of cars.

            Paul :-)

            Message 5 of 16 , May 3, 2004
              That SW-1 was of NYC heritage. I shot it in Fonda around '77 or '78.

            • mwilber@webtv.net
              Message 6 of 16 , May 3, 2004
                I know after a period of time our cars were then being dropped off at
                Amsterdam from the mainline trains,then brought to Fonda with the local.
                Then I believe they changed again by having the mainline trains dropping
                everything off at Rotterdam Jct.Then their local dropped off and
                serviced the Amsterdam area and then brought our cars into Fonda.Maybe
                someone else can be certain on this.Somebody mention the scales in
                Fonda. We use to have to weigh all Martin Lumber cars going out.Another
                task in our job.Mark
                Message 7 of 16 , May 3, 2004
                  That's where I thought the service came from, Rotterdam Jct.

                  Message 8 of 16 , May 3, 2004
                    wrote:
                    > Hi Walt,
                    >
                    > Thanks for the information. Think the locals were DeWitt to
                    > Selkirk numbered WD-5 and DW-74 if my memory serves me.
                    >
                    > [snip]
                    >
                    > This does lead me to the next question though. If the freight
                    > schedule only allows about twenty minutes to turn a train in Fonda,
                    > when did they have time to weigh cars and did they just grab
                    > the "next 600 tons" and head up the hill with them?
                    >
                    > Paul :-)

                    Welcome back, Paul!

                    At the time I was actively watching the FJ&G (the late 50s and early
                    60s, the NYC locals servicing Fonda were VD75 and DV4. The train
                    numbers may well have changed, though.

                    Paul Larner once mentioned to me that at one point, the scales at
                    Fonda were no longer used and the cars were weighed at another
                    location. Which location(s)? Paul will have to refresh our
                    collective memories on that one.

                    I have slides of NYC SW1s (and an occasional Alco S) working the
                    Fonda yard, so that job predates Penn Central.

                    HTH.

                    Glenn
                  • Glenn J. Williams
                    Message 9 of 16 , May 3, 2004
                      --- In FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com, "Walt Danylak" <waltdanylak@c...>
                      wrote:
                      > In looking for additional info concerning Paul's post about the
                      > SW-1, I came across the following photo. While it doesn't show much
                      > of the SW-1, check out the green wood caboose. It is the only
                      > recorded record of any of the "standard" 19000 series NYC wood
                      > cabooses being painted green. The photo was taken in Amsterdam.
                      >
                      > http://lib2.clark.cc.oh.us/pc/nyc19001.jpg
                      >
                      > Walt

                      Walt,

                      Was that taken when the Central was so enamoured of jade green? Now,
                      *there* was a colour that died a well-deserved death. . .

                      Glenn