Re: So I had a Question...

  • Walt Danylak
    Message 1 of 16 , May 1, 2004
      --- In FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com, mwilber@w... wrote:
      I believe the mainline Conrail train that served Fonda on a daily
      basis was known at one time as the VD-7.

      Mark,

      I assume the D would stand for DeWitt, but what does the V stand for?

      Walt
      Message 2 of 16 , May 1, 2004
        Hi Walt,

        Voorheesville NY, just northwest or Selkirk. It would have been the
        last possible stop for the local from DeWitt and the first possible stop
        from Selkirk for the return movement.

        Paul :-)

        Walt Danylak wrote:
        > --- In FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com, mwilber@w... wrote:
        > I believe the mainline Conrail train that served Fonda on a daily
        > basis was known at one time as the VD-7.
        >
        > Mark,
        >
        > I assume the D would stand for DeWitt, but what does the V stand for?
        >
        > Walt
        >

        > Visit Gino's Railpage at
        > http://www.ginosrailpage.com
        > Visit The Greater Capital District Railfan Assocation at http://gcdranet.homelinux.com/
        > Visit Pete Seftons Lost Landmark Page
        > http://www.lostlandmarks.org
        > Visit The NERAIL North American Photo Archive at http://naphotos.nerail.org/
        > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Walt Danylak
        Message 3 of 16 , May 2, 2004
          In looking for additional info concerning Paul's post about the SW-1,
          I came across the following photo. While it doesn't show much of the
          SW-1, check out the green wood caboose. It is the only recorded
          record of any of the "standard" 19000 series NYC wood cabooses being
          painted green. The photo was taken in Amsterdam.

          http://lib2.clark.cc.oh.us/pc/nyc19001.jpg

          Walt
          Message 4 of 16 , May 3, 2004
            I thought that the FJG was serviced by a local?  I have some shots of the NYC
            servicing the FJG.  I'll dig them out...

            Message 5 of 16 , May 3, 2004
              Hi Gino,

              Yes, it was serviced by a DeWitt to Selkirk local until Conrail (or was
              this a Penn Central thing). Been a while so I did screw up the train
              numbers from the late '50s, they should have been VD-5 and DV-74. Mark
              indicates the westbound was VD-7 and that could very well be at a
              different time as train numbers change from time to time. In Conrail
              times service was provided by a mainline train stopping to drop off or
              pick up a cut of cars.

              Paul :-)

              Message 6 of 16 , May 3, 2004
                That SW-1 was of NYC heritage. I shot it in Fonda around '77 or '78.

              • mwilber@webtv.net
                Message 7 of 16 , May 3, 2004
                  I know after a period of time our cars were then being dropped off at
                  Amsterdam from the mainline trains,then brought to Fonda with the local.
                  Then I believe they changed again by having the mainline trains dropping
                  everything off at Rotterdam Jct.Then their local dropped off and
                  serviced the Amsterdam area and then brought our cars into Fonda.Maybe
                  someone else can be certain on this.Somebody mention the scales in
                  Fonda. We use to have to weigh all Martin Lumber cars going out.Another
                  task in our job.Mark
                  Message 8 of 16 , May 3, 2004
                    That's where I thought the service came from, Rotterdam Jct.

                    Message 9 of 16 , May 3, 2004
                      wrote:
                      > Hi Walt,
                      >
                      > Thanks for the information. Think the locals were DeWitt to
                      > Selkirk numbered WD-5 and DW-74 if my memory serves me.
                      >
                      > [snip]
                      >
                      > This does lead me to the next question though. If the freight
                      > schedule only allows about twenty minutes to turn a train in Fonda,
                      > when did they have time to weigh cars and did they just grab
                      > the "next 600 tons" and head up the hill with them?
                      >
                      > Paul :-)

                      Welcome back, Paul!

                      At the time I was actively watching the FJ&G (the late 50s and early
                      60s, the NYC locals servicing Fonda were VD75 and DV4. The train
                      numbers may well have changed, though.

                      Paul Larner once mentioned to me that at one point, the scales at
                      Fonda were no longer used and the cars were weighed at another
                      location. Which location(s)? Paul will have to refresh our
                      collective memories on that one.

                      I have slides of NYC SW1s (and an occasional Alco S) working the
                      Fonda yard, so that job predates Penn Central.

                      HTH.

                      Glenn
                    • Glenn J. Williams
                      Message 10 of 16 , May 3, 2004
                        --- In FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com, "Walt Danylak" <waltdanylak@c...>
                        wrote:
                        > In looking for additional info concerning Paul's post about the
                        > SW-1, I came across the following photo. While it doesn't show much
                        > of the SW-1, check out the green wood caboose. It is the only
                        > recorded record of any of the "standard" 19000 series NYC wood
                        > cabooses being painted green. The photo was taken in Amsterdam.
                        >
                        > http://lib2.clark.cc.oh.us/pc/nyc19001.jpg
                        >
                        > Walt

                        Walt,

                        Was that taken when the Central was so enamoured of jade green? Now,
                        *there* was a colour that died a well-deserved death. . .

                        Glenn