Re: [FJGRailroad] Re: So I had a Question...

  • mwilber@webtv.net
    Message 1 of 16 , Apr 30, 2004
      Walt-Pertaining to the article you mention,those cars were dropped off
      the night before from a main line train.Ive seen at times that there
      were more than one drop per day ( east or west ). Mark
    • Walt Danylak
      Message 2 of 16 , May 1, 2004
        --- In FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com, mwilber@w... wrote:
        I believe the mainline Conrail train that served Fonda on a daily
        basis was known at one time as the VD-7.

        Mark,

        I assume the D would stand for DeWitt, but what does the V stand for?

        Walt
        Message 3 of 16 , May 1, 2004
          Hi Walt,

          Voorheesville NY, just northwest or Selkirk. It would have been the
          last possible stop for the local from DeWitt and the first possible stop
          from Selkirk for the return movement.

          Paul :-)

          Walt Danylak wrote:
          > --- In FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com, mwilber@w... wrote:
          > I believe the mainline Conrail train that served Fonda on a daily
          > basis was known at one time as the VD-7.
          >
          > Mark,
          >
          > I assume the D would stand for DeWitt, but what does the V stand for?
          >
          > Walt
          >

          > Visit Gino's Railpage at
          > http://www.ginosrailpage.com
          > Visit The Greater Capital District Railfan Assocation at http://gcdranet.homelinux.com/
          > Visit Pete Seftons Lost Landmark Page
          > http://www.lostlandmarks.org
          > Visit The NERAIL North American Photo Archive at http://naphotos.nerail.org/
          > Yahoo! Groups Links

        • Walt Danylak
          Message 4 of 16 , May 2, 2004
            In looking for additional info concerning Paul's post about the SW-1,
            I came across the following photo. While it doesn't show much of the
            SW-1, check out the green wood caboose. It is the only recorded
            record of any of the "standard" 19000 series NYC wood cabooses being
            painted green. The photo was taken in Amsterdam.

            http://lib2.clark.cc.oh.us/pc/nyc19001.jpg

            Walt
            Message 5 of 16 , May 3, 2004
              I thought that the FJG was serviced by a local?  I have some shots of the NYC
              servicing the FJG.  I'll dig them out...

              Message 6 of 16 , May 3, 2004
                Hi Gino,

                Yes, it was serviced by a DeWitt to Selkirk local until Conrail (or was
                this a Penn Central thing). Been a while so I did screw up the train
                numbers from the late '50s, they should have been VD-5 and DV-74. Mark
                indicates the westbound was VD-7 and that could very well be at a
                different time as train numbers change from time to time. In Conrail
                times service was provided by a mainline train stopping to drop off or
                pick up a cut of cars.

                Paul :-)

                Message 7 of 16 , May 3, 2004
                  That SW-1 was of NYC heritage. I shot it in Fonda around '77 or '78.

                • mwilber@webtv.net
                  Message 8 of 16 , May 3, 2004
                    I know after a period of time our cars were then being dropped off at
                    Amsterdam from the mainline trains,then brought to Fonda with the local.
                    Then I believe they changed again by having the mainline trains dropping
                    everything off at Rotterdam Jct.Then their local dropped off and
                    serviced the Amsterdam area and then brought our cars into Fonda.Maybe
                    someone else can be certain on this.Somebody mention the scales in
                    Fonda. We use to have to weigh all Martin Lumber cars going out.Another
                    task in our job.Mark
                    Message 9 of 16 , May 3, 2004
                      That's where I thought the service came from, Rotterdam Jct.

                      Message 10 of 16 , May 3, 2004
                        wrote:
                        > Hi Walt,
                        >
                        > Thanks for the information. Think the locals were DeWitt to
                        > Selkirk numbered WD-5 and DW-74 if my memory serves me.
                        >
                        > [snip]
                        >
                        > This does lead me to the next question though. If the freight
                        > schedule only allows about twenty minutes to turn a train in Fonda,
                        > when did they have time to weigh cars and did they just grab
                        > the "next 600 tons" and head up the hill with them?
                        >
                        > Paul :-)

                        Welcome back, Paul!

                        At the time I was actively watching the FJ&G (the late 50s and early
                        60s, the NYC locals servicing Fonda were VD75 and DV4. The train
                        numbers may well have changed, though.

                        Paul Larner once mentioned to me that at one point, the scales at
                        Fonda were no longer used and the cars were weighed at another
                        location. Which location(s)? Paul will have to refresh our
                        collective memories on that one.

                        I have slides of NYC SW1s (and an occasional Alco S) working the
                        Fonda yard, so that job predates Penn Central.

                        HTH.

                        Glenn
                      • Glenn J. Williams
                        Message 11 of 16 , May 3, 2004
                          --- In FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com, "Walt Danylak" <waltdanylak@c...>
                          wrote:
                          > In looking for additional info concerning Paul's post about the
                          > SW-1, I came across the following photo. While it doesn't show much
                          > of the SW-1, check out the green wood caboose. It is the only
                          > recorded record of any of the "standard" 19000 series NYC wood
                          > cabooses being painted green. The photo was taken in Amsterdam.
                          >
                          > http://lib2.clark.cc.oh.us/pc/nyc19001.jpg
                          >
                          > Walt

                          Walt,

                          Was that taken when the Central was so enamoured of jade green? Now,
                          *there* was a colour that died a well-deserved death. . .

                          Glenn