Re: [FJGRailroad] Re: Beltline

  • GINO DICARLO (QUAD GRAPHICS, SARATOGA)
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 30, 2000
      Saul,

      I want tos say that the trolleys did go both ways. There are pictures of
      them passing in different directions of the 4 corners. Also, according
      to the maps, there were passing tracks located all over the belt line...

      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 30, 2000
        The trolleys and the busses went both ways. The trolleys constructed
        passing tracks at various intervals to get by each other. The busses went
        on different routes.

        On May 7, 1929 the company was authorized to discontinue the belt line
        trolley service and substitute bus service as follows: N. Main to State to
        Kingsboro to Second Ave. to E. Blvd to E. Fulton to Four Corners. (Both
        ways)

        On Dec. 4, 1934 the franchise was modified to permit the following alernate
        route in one direction: ...Kingsboro to First Ave to Lark St. to Oakland
        Ave. to E. Blvd to E. Fulton St. to Four Corners. (Both ways the alternate
        route as specified for that direction. The May 7 route applied in the
        reverse direction.)

        On Nov. 19 1940 the franchise was further modified: from four corners up N.
        Main to State St. to Kingsboro Ave. to North Blvd to E. Blvd. to Fifth Ave.
        to Kingsboro Ave. to First Ave. to Lark St. to Oakland Ave. to E. Blvd. to
        E. Fulton St. to Four corners; and as an alernate route in one direction
        between E. Blvd./Oakland Ave. and Second Ave./Kingsboro over the following
        streets: Four corners to E. Blvd to Second Ave. to Kingsboro etc in reverse
        of the first route.

        The said route shall be operated as a belt line with busses running in each
        direction except as between E> Blvd./Oakland Ave. and Kingsboro Ave./Second
        Ave.

        I remember lying on my bed and seeing the bus sitting at the NW corner of
        First Ave. and Kingsboro, across from the Christian Science Building,waiting
        for time I suppose.

        PKL