Broadalbin

  • Thomas W. McCoy
    Message 1 of 12 , Apr 13, 2004
      Hi,
      I am new to the list and while reading back posts, a number of
      questions came up.
      1st, My maptech picture shows that the rails go to the last industry,
      but there is a turnout that goes back and across a stream to another
      industry. Does anyone have a diagram with the track plan and a list
      of the industries?
      2nd When the list was first started, Paul Charland posted articles
      for a week at a time from the August 1979 Model Railroader about the
      FJ&G. There were 3 articles I believe. Does anybody have them? Also
      there was an article on the FJ&G in March 1959 Trains. Also he spoke
      of an Employee timetable.
      Tom
      Rome
    • stevefjg30
      Message 2 of 12 , Apr 14, 2004
        Hi Tom the area siding your talking pf is Broadalbin knitting mill
        later on in the 60's or 70's?known as mohawk furniture.the siding ran
        back aolng the office building by some wharehose to a switch back it
        then crossed the stream and inbetween two buildings they had a coal
        trestle the brige is still there!If you go to Gino,s railpge and
        click on to Broadalbin there are many pictures of the Knitting
        mill.In the 1950's in Broadalbin there was Broadalbin Coal and
        Supply,freight house, station,and the Knitting Mill.At the freight
        house DK Fiber unloaded cars i think that was going on in the 50's
        not sure.In the 70's there was Martin Lumber Co and Pinewood Sawdust
        Co.Martin Lumber Loaded all door boxcars between the freight house
        and Broadalbin coal and supply and the siding for pinewood was just
        south of the switch for the coal shed and ran back to a brick
        warehouse.

        Steve

        --- In FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com, "Thomas W. McCoy"
        Message 3 of 12 , Apr 16, 2004
          I can help. What do you need?

          >From: "Thomas W. McCoy" <twmmam@...>
          >To: FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com
          >Subject: [FJGRailroad] Broadalbin
          >Date: Tue, 13 Apr 2004 21:58:52 -0000
          >
          >Hi,
          >I am new to the list and while reading back posts, a number of
          >questions came up.
          >1st, My maptech picture shows that the rails go to the last industry,
          >but there is a turnout that goes back and across a stream to another
          >industry. Does anyone have a diagram with the track plan and a list
          >of the industries?
          >2nd When the list was first started, Paul Charland posted articles
          >for a week at a time from the August 1979 Model Railroader about the
          >FJ&G. There were 3 articles I believe. Does anybody have them? Also
          >there was an article on the FJ&G in March 1959 Trains. Also he spoke
          >of an Employee timetable.
          >Tom
          >Rome

        • Robert Schoneman
          Message 4 of 12 , Apr 17, 2004
            Broadalbin.

            Boy, that brings back very faint memories.

            When I lived in NYS in the early 90's or so, I worked in Broadalbin. Almost downtown, by the creek. I vaugly remember working at a family owned butcher called Meatland, I believe. Just across the dirt alley perse was the remnants of the FJG. In fact I think the store owner used one of the depot buildings or sheds as storage.

            Anyway, if my memory holds, this went parralell with the stream for maybe a half mile. I believe there was one other industry up in there, either cardboard, lumber, or cement related. I don't even see any impressions for a switch though.

            However, this faint memory, you'd be better off consulting an 8 ball...

            FWIW,

            Regards,

            Bob Schoneman
            Appleton, WI
          • Thomas W. McCoy
            Message 5 of 12 , Apr 18, 2004
              All I have for Broadalbin is a sketch a friend of mine gave me. On
              the sketch facing north, from the left it shows track from Vails
              Mills and the Jct. first is a siding to the south and right labeled
              Feldspar. Was this a factory? Next was a siding to the right labeled
              coal and looks like a trestle. Next is a switch to the right which
              continues down to a switch to the left. On this siding is a building
              labeled feed. pass the switch to the left is a siding which says
              Freight station. On the main line just before the switch which
              rejoins the siding is a switch to the left which goes to a turntable,
              just south of Kennyetta creek. After the freight station on the main
              is the passenger station then the main crosses a NY 29? then swings
              Northeast with a left-handed switch which has a siding to the
              southwest with a building labeled mill the main continues to another
              left switch after a curve it goes straight and ends at building
              labeled Furniture. the line back from the switch crosses an unamed
              creek and ends at a mill. I have tried following the photos on the
              group and Gino's page, but haven't fully figured it out yet.
              Thanks for all the help.
              Tom
            • paul_charland
              Message 6 of 12 , Apr 28, 2004
                Hi Tom,

                I have an employees timetable from September 1954 that includes the
                steam, bus, truck, and what I think must be interurbans if you's like
                me to scan it for you.

                Paul :-)

                --- In FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com, "Thomas W. McCoy" <twmmam@y...> wrote:
                > Hi,
                > I am new to the list and while reading back posts, a number of
                > questions came up.
                > 1st, My maptech picture shows that the rails go to the last industry,
                > but there is a turnout that goes back and across a stream to another
                > industry. Does anyone have a diagram with the track plan and a list
                > of the industries?
                > 2nd When the list was first started, Paul Charland posted articles
                > for a week at a time from the August 1979 Model Railroader about the
                > FJ&G. There were 3 articles I believe. Does anybody have them? Also
                > there was an article on the FJ&G in March 1959 Trains. Also he spoke
                > of an Employee timetable.
                > Tom
                > Rome
              • Thomas W. McCoy
                Message 7 of 12 , Apr 28, 2004
                  Paul,
                  Yes please. If you can just scan the steam division, that would be
                  fine.
                  Thanks,
                  Tom
                  --- In FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com, "paul_charland" <p.charlie@s...>