Re: Gas Car

    Message 1 of 10 , Sep 5, 1999
      Yeah, that pretty well describes it. You recall it on route 7? After
      Gino's question I'm not sure.

      Message 2 of 10 , Sep 5, 1999
        For some reason Rte. 7 sounds familiar but I'm not absolutely certain. I
        haven't seen the car, but as I said I have talked to those who have.

        I have pictures of the car leaving Gloversville.

        The car we are referring to is #202, the last of FJ&G gasoline cars to leave
        the property. It was trucked out December 24, 1957 and went to Troy after
        being sold to new owners. The new owners planned to operate some kind of
        roaming track gang which would repair and/or tear apart old shortlines and
        branches. The Leader-Herald ran a story on it and I have a copy of it at
        home.

        Message 3 of 10 , Sep 6, 1999
          >So Aaron,
          >
          >The car went to Troy with hopes of getting work and then it just ended
          >up in this field? It never saw work again after the FJG?

          As I recall, the car left Gloversville for use on this salvage gang and
          never returned to the FJ&G. It was the last one to leave the FJ&G and it
          was trucked out.

          I'm not sure if the salvage gang ever used it or not. From what I recall of
          the article, the gang was just starting to form and I'm not sure if it ever
          got off the ground.

          My gut instinct tells me no, the car never saw other service, even on the
          salvage gang. But, you never know... anyone who might have information to
          show it being used elsewhere is welcome to disagree with me. I've never
          researched what became of those who purchased the car.

          -Aaron
        • Gino And Kelly DiCarlo
          Message 4 of 10 , Sep 6, 1999
            So Aaron,

            The car went to Troy with hopes of getting work and then it just ended
            up in this field? It never saw work again after the FJG?

            Visit Gino's RailPage...
            Home of The F.J.G.R.R.
            http://www.capital.net/~dicarlos

            Join the FJG discussion list at ONELIST...
            http://www.onelist.com/subscribe/FJGRailroad/

            ----------

            Message 5 of 10 , Jan 4, 2001
              Glenn W. Said:

              Randy and others can correct me, but if this is the same car I saw
              pictures of 3 years ago in Johnstown, you may have George
              Washington's hammer on your hands. You know, "the handle's been
              replaced six times and the head twice, but yes, it's George
              Washington's hammer." It was in really tough shape then, barely a
              frame with a semblence of a roof.

              Snow-wise, it's gone from ugly to nasty here in Cow Hampshire. There
              must be four inches now, for Concord just sent out the plows. . .

              Glenn

              Glenn,

              What is George Washington's Hammer?

              Gino DiCarlo
              ----------------------------------
              gdicarlo@...
              Quad Imaging Saratoga
              x4276

            • Glenn Williams
              Message 6 of 10 , Jan 4, 2001
                --- In FJGRailroad@egroups.com, "Dicarlo, Gino" <Gino.Dicarlo@q...>
                wrote:
                > [snip]
                >
                > What is George Washington's Hammer?
                >
                > [snip]

                Gino,

                The story of George Washington's hammer, as I condensed it, is
                usually cited as a cautionary tale to demonstrate that what you are
                told something is may not be what it is.

                In the case of the gas car, as others have pointed out, the existing
                remains would form but a starting point.

                I was trying to be clever but ended up being obtuse. I gotta watch
                that.

                Glenn
                Message 7 of 10 , Jan 4, 2001
                  I'm sorry Glenn, probably more of me being naive than you being obtuse!
                  It was more you saying the car was near Johnstown than you using George
                  Washington's hammer or is it axe?

                  Gino DiCarlo
                  gdicarlo@...
                  Quad Imaging Saratoga