From the archives........

    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 7 9:15 PM
      Once again it is time for another edition of "From the Archives" that bit of
      railroad trivia that makes them ask, "Where'd he get that?

      First a general question for the audience.........with small children that
      are getting older every minute, plus yard work and the need to replace the
      kitchen, roof, bathroom I have not been railfanning in some
      time..............anybody else have that problem?

      Okay tonight there was a question about the Troy Union Railroad on the D&H
      list and of course this caused me to go looking in the Archives where I
      found three files marked Troy........First is the TURR where I found ETT 392
      effective 9/28/52.

      I have to believe that there were light D&H and NYC moves but the TT is
      silent on that point. Any thoughts (B&M actually had aroundouse in Troy
      although I do not know where it was).

      The next thing I found was a builder's photo of Troy Steel & Iron Company
      0-4-0 number 6. This appears to be a fireless cooker but the data says it
      burns Bituminous coal. It is a narrow gauge 3 ft engine.

      The drivers are 34 inch with a tank capacity of 24,000 gals.

      By the way it was built by Schenectady.

      The third item is what appears to be part of the original articals of
      incorporation as reported to the New York State Legislature dated February
      10, 1845. It discusses the aquisition of land and the grading of the ROW.

      As I understand things this is the ROW that passes through Nassau NY that
      has some old powerlines on it and was not a part of the Hudson Valley
      Railway. By the way according to a map on the inside of the book Hudson
      Valley Railway by Dave Nestle, this was a line that left Rensselaer and
      passed through Clinton Heights, Nassua, Kinderhook Lake, Niverville, Valatie
      and ended up in Hudson. I wonder if they went to the NYC station in Hudson?

      There is also mention of the T&NE railroad that left Troy headed in a
      southeasterly direction passing through Wyantskill ands terminating in Sand
      Lake.

      I have never seen anything in print about either of these lines. Have you ?

      I think it is interesting that you could have taken the NYC from my hometown
      of Ossinign to Hudson, then via the Troy and Greenbush connected to the
      Schenectady Ry and then Transferred to the FJ&G electric division and made
      it to the eastern Adirondaks at Northville.

      You could also have stayed on the Hudson Valley and arrived via Troy Union
      Station and Glens Falls at Warrensburgh a bit deeper and further north in
      the Adirondaks.
      Finally I expect to break this non railfan mode by attending the BLHS spring
      luncheon. Would anyone like to see my D&H 1879, 1880 or 1881 wallsheets or
      my D&H marked shovels ?

      Lastly anyone going to the Finger Lakes excursion on May 15th? How about the
      Adirondak Railfan's weekend on June 11-13 ? I was thinking of invoking the
      husband /father supreme mandate that I HAVE GOT TO GO
      RAILFANNING...................................

      And thats it From the Archives.....................what's in your archives ?

      Get rid of annoying pop-up ads with the new MSN Toolbar � FREE!
    • Gino DiCarlo
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 8 6:32 AM
        Joe,

        It was my question about the Troy Union Railroad. I was wondering if
        it was it's own operation with it's own power. Also, the T&NE was the
        Troy and New England Trolley Line which went from Troy to West
        Sand Lake. It also had some other names...

        Gino

        Visit Gino's Railpage at
        http://www.ginosrailpage.com
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 8 8:41 AM
          Joe,

          Regarding the Trolleys in the Albany are see William Gordon's "Third Rails,
          Pantographs & Trolley Poles" for a history of the Albany and Hudson. You
          could get the trolley at the back of the Hudson Station, or on the street
          side.

          The B&M roundhouse at Troy was still standing the last I knew I believe on
          the north end of Sixth St. (?)

          Regarding the T&NE there is one paragraph in Jim Shaughnessy's "Delaware &
          Hudson" on p. 211 accompanied by a picture on p. 210. Also find a paragraph
          on p. 307 dating the end of operations.

          You will also find information regarding the operation of the belt service
          between Troy and Albany in this volume.

          PKL

        • Glenn J. Williams
          Message 4 of 4 , Apr 8 4:46 PM
            --- In FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com, "joseph Klapkowski"
            <riverlinejoe@h...> wrote:
            > [snip]
            > Any thoughts (B&M actually had a roundhouse in Troy
            > although I do not know where it was).
            > [snip]

            Joe,

            The B&M roundhouse was located in the yard, north of Hoosic Street.
            I don't have a map of downtown Troy handy so I cannot be more
            specific right now.

            Glenn