RE: [FJGRailroad] Re: 44 Tonner Paint Job

    Message 1 of 18 , Apr 5 11:01 PM
      To see a few (understatement) of the various paint schemes applied to many
      of the diesel locomotive models offered by all the US builders and perhaps
      some more (there are thousands) do a google search for "engine shop." The
      first item that comes up on my search is a site titled Engine Shop
      containing drawings with colors. 44 tonners, 70 tonners, E-6, E-8, F-7,
      BL-2 they're all there, I haen't looked at ALCo yet. Must be an identical
      scheme in there some where, you decide. Similar, how could they not be in
      many ways. Alike, take a look; what can I say. LV and B&M are in there.

      The url is usloki.tripod.com/ but that doesn't et you there; needs more.
      The google search gets me there and it can be saved as a favorite.

      PKL

      >From: "Charles Woolever" <yahoo@...>
      >To: FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com
      >Subject: [FJGRailroad] Re: 44 Tonner Paint Job
      >Date: Mon, 05 Apr 2004 19:51:56 -0000
      >
      >There was an article in R&R many years ago about all of this. There
      >were EMD drawings of F-units in various paint schemes. The DL&W
      >maroon/gray/yellow was designed by EMD. What was interesting about all
      >of the drawings was seeing other roads in same schemes, like Frisco in
      >the DL&W colors or whatever.
      >
      >Extra2200 South si good for this too. It's all in B&W (older issues)
      >and when you pull out the issues on say the GE 70 ton and see all the
      >roster photos, sans color, you get a good sense on how similar the
      >paint shemes all were to one another. If you didn't know better, you'd
      >think 75% of smaller railroads were all in the same family!
      >
      >Charles

      Premium!
    • Mark
      Message 2 of 18 , Apr 6 8:51 AM
        > and when you pull out the issues on say the GE 70 ton and see all
        the
        > roster photos, sans color, you get a good sense on how similar the
        > paint shemes all were to one another. If you didn't know better,
        you'd
        > think 75% of smaller railroads were all in the same family!
        >
        > Charles

        Thank you Charles, at least somebody else sees what I see when they
        look at all those engines that were painted with most of the same
        masking and stencils! It seems that what we have here is people
        getting "blinded" by the different COLORS and getting distracted by
        the presence or lack of separating stripes, etc. and therefore not
        seeing that if you took away the pinstripes and separatung stripes,
        and took the colors away and made everything tones of gray (or even
        better, line drawings showing nothing more than the separation of the
        two colors-i.e., the masking lines), the SCHEMES are similar if not
        in many cases identical.

        Gino seems to have hit the nail on the head without realizing it when
        he said he didn't realize HOW DIFFERENT the L&BR and FJ&G schemes
        were until he saw them both in COLOR. Yes, there are differences, but
        there are also striking similarities. Look at them in B&W, take away
        the saparting stripes on the FJ&G unit, and about all that's
        different is the termination of the stripes. I am not saying these
        schemes are the SAME, I am saying they are strikingly similar purely
        from a layout standpoint for a reason other than coincidence.

        To say this similarity is because, well, there isn't that much you
        can do differently, is to say that stripes must be the same width, at
        the same angle, start and end at the same points, etc. Stripes can be
        anywhere from 0-90 degrees, anywhere (within reason) from 1/2 inch to
        several feet wide, they could be visible only in an end view, wrap
        around the entire locomtive, or anywhere in between, etc. Just
        because all those engines with the same width stripes at the same
        angles (or radii as the case may be) starting and ending at the same
        points are all different colors or some of them have a separating
        stripe, does not make them the result of individual design, starting
        from scratch, by or for each owner. Also keep in mind here that we
        are talking only about 40s-era as-delivered schemes from the
        builders, not later schemes or railroad-applied or modified versions
        of the builder schemes. So while there are certainly plenty of
        totally unrelated, individually designed schemes out there, the
        schemes in question, as applied to 1st generation diesels by the
        builders when new, are very often variations on standard designs.

        I guess maybe we all just have differing ideas of what constitutes a
        significant "difference" in a paint scheme.

        Mark
        Message 3 of 18 , Apr 6 9:25 AM
          I did a search on "engine shop" and that site is awesome!!!
          Check it out!!! It would be great to see some FJG engines
          on there!

          GINO