RE: [FJGRailroad] Re: 44 Tonner Paint Job

    Message 1 of 18 , Apr 5, 2004
      That's was pretty much what I was wondering Charles. I was
      making the assumption on B&W photos and just figured there was
      a standard paint job. When I did finally see the colors of the
      Lowville & Beaver River 44-tonner I realized how different the
      paint was from the FJ&G...

      Message 2 of 18 , Apr 5, 2004
        To see a few (understatement) of the various paint schemes applied to many
        of the diesel locomotive models offered by all the US builders and perhaps
        some more (there are thousands) do a google search for "engine shop." The
        first item that comes up on my search is a site titled Engine Shop
        containing drawings with colors. 44 tonners, 70 tonners, E-6, E-8, F-7,
        BL-2 they're all there, I haen't looked at ALCo yet. Must be an identical
        scheme in there some where, you decide. Similar, how could they not be in
        many ways. Alike, take a look; what can I say. LV and B&M are in there.

        The url is usloki.tripod.com/ but that doesn't et you there; needs more.
        The google search gets me there and it can be saved as a favorite.

        PKL

        >From: "Charles Woolever" <yahoo@...>
        >To: FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com
        >Subject: [FJGRailroad] Re: 44 Tonner Paint Job
        >Date: Mon, 05 Apr 2004 19:51:56 -0000
        >
        >There was an article in R&R many years ago about all of this. There
        >were EMD drawings of F-units in various paint schemes. The DL&W
        >maroon/gray/yellow was designed by EMD. What was interesting about all
        >of the drawings was seeing other roads in same schemes, like Frisco in
        >the DL&W colors or whatever.
        >
        >Extra2200 South si good for this too. It's all in B&W (older issues)
        >and when you pull out the issues on say the GE 70 ton and see all the
        >roster photos, sans color, you get a good sense on how similar the
        >paint shemes all were to one another. If you didn't know better, you'd
        >think 75% of smaller railroads were all in the same family!
        >
        >Charles

        Premium!
      • Mark
        Message 3 of 18 , Apr 6, 2004
          > and when you pull out the issues on say the GE 70 ton and see all
          the
          > roster photos, sans color, you get a good sense on how similar the
          > paint shemes all were to one another. If you didn't know better,
          you'd
          > think 75% of smaller railroads were all in the same family!
          >
          > Charles

          Thank you Charles, at least somebody else sees what I see when they
          look at all those engines that were painted with most of the same
          masking and stencils! It seems that what we have here is people
          getting "blinded" by the different COLORS and getting distracted by
          the presence or lack of separating stripes, etc. and therefore not
          seeing that if you took away the pinstripes and separatung stripes,
          and took the colors away and made everything tones of gray (or even
          better, line drawings showing nothing more than the separation of the
          two colors-i.e., the masking lines), the SCHEMES are similar if not
          in many cases identical.

          Gino seems to have hit the nail on the head without realizing it when
          he said he didn't realize HOW DIFFERENT the L&BR and FJ&G schemes
          were until he saw them both in COLOR. Yes, there are differences, but
          there are also striking similarities. Look at them in B&W, take away
          the saparting stripes on the FJ&G unit, and about all that's
          different is the termination of the stripes. I am not saying these
          schemes are the SAME, I am saying they are strikingly similar purely
          from a layout standpoint for a reason other than coincidence.

          To say this similarity is because, well, there isn't that much you
          can do differently, is to say that stripes must be the same width, at
          the same angle, start and end at the same points, etc. Stripes can be
          anywhere from 0-90 degrees, anywhere (within reason) from 1/2 inch to
          several feet wide, they could be visible only in an end view, wrap
          around the entire locomtive, or anywhere in between, etc. Just
          because all those engines with the same width stripes at the same
          angles (or radii as the case may be) starting and ending at the same
          points are all different colors or some of them have a separating
          stripe, does not make them the result of individual design, starting
          from scratch, by or for each owner. Also keep in mind here that we
          are talking only about 40s-era as-delivered schemes from the
          builders, not later schemes or railroad-applied or modified versions
          of the builder schemes. So while there are certainly plenty of
          totally unrelated, individually designed schemes out there, the
          schemes in question, as applied to 1st generation diesels by the
          builders when new, are very often variations on standard designs.

          I guess maybe we all just have differing ideas of what constitutes a
          significant "difference" in a paint scheme.

          Mark
          Message 4 of 18 , Apr 6, 2004
            I did a search on "engine shop" and that site is awesome!!!
            Check it out!!! It would be great to see some FJG engines
            on there!

            GINO