Re: 44 Tonner Paint Job

  • Charles Woolever
    Message 1 of 18 , Apr 5, 2004
      There was an article in R&R many years ago about all of this. There
      were EMD drawings of F-units in various paint schemes. The DL&W
      maroon/gray/yellow was designed by EMD. What was interesting about all
      of the drawings was seeing other roads in same schemes, like Frisco in
      the DL&W colors or whatever.

      Extra2200 South si good for this too. It's all in B&W (older issues)
      and when you pull out the issues on say the GE 70 ton and see all the
      roster photos, sans color, you get a good sense on how similar the
      paint shemes all were to one another. If you didn't know better, you'd
      think 75% of smaller railroads were all in the same family!

      Charles
      Message 2 of 18 , Apr 5, 2004
        That's was pretty much what I was wondering Charles. I was
        making the assumption on B&W photos and just figured there was
        a standard paint job. When I did finally see the colors of the
        Lowville & Beaver River 44-tonner I realized how different the
        paint was from the FJ&G...

        Message 3 of 18 , Apr 5, 2004
          To see a few (understatement) of the various paint schemes applied to many
          of the diesel locomotive models offered by all the US builders and perhaps
          some more (there are thousands) do a google search for "engine shop." The
          first item that comes up on my search is a site titled Engine Shop
          containing drawings with colors. 44 tonners, 70 tonners, E-6, E-8, F-7,
          BL-2 they're all there, I haen't looked at ALCo yet. Must be an identical
          scheme in there some where, you decide. Similar, how could they not be in
          many ways. Alike, take a look; what can I say. LV and B&M are in there.

          The url is usloki.tripod.com/ but that doesn't et you there; needs more.
          The google search gets me there and it can be saved as a favorite.

          PKL

          >From: "Charles Woolever" <yahoo@...>
          >To: FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com
          >Subject: [FJGRailroad] Re: 44 Tonner Paint Job
          >Date: Mon, 05 Apr 2004 19:51:56 -0000
          >
          >There was an article in R&R many years ago about all of this. There
          >were EMD drawings of F-units in various paint schemes. The DL&W
          >maroon/gray/yellow was designed by EMD. What was interesting about all
          >of the drawings was seeing other roads in same schemes, like Frisco in
          >the DL&W colors or whatever.
          >
          >Extra2200 South si good for this too. It's all in B&W (older issues)
          >and when you pull out the issues on say the GE 70 ton and see all the
          >roster photos, sans color, you get a good sense on how similar the
          >paint shemes all were to one another. If you didn't know better, you'd
          >think 75% of smaller railroads were all in the same family!
          >
          >Charles

          Premium!
        • Mark
          Message 4 of 18 , Apr 6, 2004
            > and when you pull out the issues on say the GE 70 ton and see all
            the
            > roster photos, sans color, you get a good sense on how similar the
            > paint shemes all were to one another. If you didn't know better,
            you'd
            > think 75% of smaller railroads were all in the same family!
            >
            > Charles

            Thank you Charles, at least somebody else sees what I see when they
            look at all those engines that were painted with most of the same
            masking and stencils! It seems that what we have here is people
            getting "blinded" by the different COLORS and getting distracted by
            the presence or lack of separating stripes, etc. and therefore not
            seeing that if you took away the pinstripes and separatung stripes,
            and took the colors away and made everything tones of gray (or even
            better, line drawings showing nothing more than the separation of the
            two colors-i.e., the masking lines), the SCHEMES are similar if not
            in many cases identical.

            Gino seems to have hit the nail on the head without realizing it when
            he said he didn't realize HOW DIFFERENT the L&BR and FJ&G schemes
            were until he saw them both in COLOR. Yes, there are differences, but
            there are also striking similarities. Look at them in B&W, take away
            the saparting stripes on the FJ&G unit, and about all that's
            different is the termination of the stripes. I am not saying these
            schemes are the SAME, I am saying they are strikingly similar purely
            from a layout standpoint for a reason other than coincidence.

            To say this similarity is because, well, there isn't that much you
            can do differently, is to say that stripes must be the same width, at
            the same angle, start and end at the same points, etc. Stripes can be
            anywhere from 0-90 degrees, anywhere (within reason) from 1/2 inch to
            several feet wide, they could be visible only in an end view, wrap
            around the entire locomtive, or anywhere in between, etc. Just
            because all those engines with the same width stripes at the same
            angles (or radii as the case may be) starting and ending at the same
            points are all different colors or some of them have a separating
            stripe, does not make them the result of individual design, starting
            from scratch, by or for each owner. Also keep in mind here that we
            are talking only about 40s-era as-delivered schemes from the
            builders, not later schemes or railroad-applied or modified versions
            of the builder schemes. So while there are certainly plenty of
            totally unrelated, individually designed schemes out there, the
            schemes in question, as applied to 1st generation diesels by the
            builders when new, are very often variations on standard designs.

            I guess maybe we all just have differing ideas of what constitutes a
            significant "difference" in a paint scheme.

            Mark
            Message 5 of 18 , Apr 6, 2004
              I did a search on "engine shop" and that site is awesome!!!
              Check it out!!! It would be great to see some FJG engines
              on there!

              GINO