RE: [FJGRailroad] "Railway security: Pump it up"

    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 15, 2004
      The easiest game in town really. Like the woman in the article said about
      Rochester, it's the same most everywhere. Just buy a ticket, which includes
      showing your identification (now that's reassuring), then board the train
      and get off at a stop before your target. If the bastards do what they
      appear to have done in Madrid, follow the schedule and dial your cell phone
      when you believe the train is in one of the tunnels or the station. After
      hearing the dollars spent on airline security vs. railroads I was not
      surprised. I believe the numbers of seats occupied on trains daily was said
      to be 32,000,000, and those on planes 2,000,000. The numbers may not
      reflect the right number of zeroes but I recall the ratio was 16 to 1. Two
      employees on a train can't police five cars any more than they can verify
      everyone on and off.

      There is more that could be done particularly where commuters boards and
      disembark specifically restricting access to the tracks except for ticketed
      passengers. Insist that all passengers for a particular station stay
      together and minitor them when they leave and all bags left in the cars
      before departing each station. (Imagine that on a commuter train.) Hard
      part about this is the fear of offending. Really I think even the most
      officious traveler would welcome the scrutiny. It does cost money but it
      first requires the resolve to improve.

      The grounds at Rensselaer over all are pretty good, but the fence gates to
      the track area are left wide open most of the time, hence of no security
      value at all. You can't get into the amtrak office area but the crew area
      is wide open from the outside. It important to accept the fact that
      railroads are vulnerable all along their routes and solutions focused on
      passenger terminals are only the smallest deterrent to rail havoc. Perhaps
      this accounts for what appears to us as the apparent lack of security.

      PKL