Re: [FJGRailroad] Trolley Lines

    Message 1 of 10 , Mar 23, 2000
      Not to leave a misunderstanding here... The FJ&G trolley empire was
      tremendously successful when it was completed. The Cayadutta was
      successful. It was the way to carry passengers, far superior to the
      existing steam train service and more cost eficient. Convenient, frequent
      and fast. But when the FJ&G was completed to Schenectady the automobile was
      on the scene, though still a toy of the rich. But the young men of the FJ&G
      had there mind's on selling electricity, real estate and making money;
      somehow they didn't recognize how fast it would all evaporate or they would
      have been into automotive development at this time. Even Alco was selling
      automobiles in the first and second decades of the last century. In
      retrospect while they were bold they were not far sighted.

      The FJ&G was extraordinary in its promotion of events that would put people
      in the cars or on the trains. They were good businessmen and they made
      money while they could. Following the fortunes of the FJ&G owners is an
      interesting project. All the big boys made money and they did work hard for
      it.

      PKL