Re: [FJGRailroad] Government Assistance

  • GINO DICARLO (QUAD GRAPHICS, SARATOGA)
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 23 4:44 PM
      Saul,

      I always thought it was funny that the FJG still ran some freight using
      the Cayadutta after 1928. What was the advantage of shipping mail on the
      trolley line as opposed to the steam branch?

      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 23 7:05 PM
        Schenectady Railway was out of the interurban business at the following
        dates according to R.D.Mowers "Electric Cars in the Electric City." Albany
        Line 7/30/1933; Troy Line 7/15/1934; Saratoga Line 12/7/1941 (Pearl Harbor
        Day). That the city lines lasted until 1946 is most likely an accident of
        the war than the choice of SRy.

        All services were challenged to provide for the large increase in people
        using the trolleys and busses. FJ&G ran a special service for defense
        workers between G and J and Scotia and Schenectady via the short route.
        They had a tough time handling all the people who needed to ride with the
        number of busses they had.

        The trolleys met all the Fonda trains and then the busses did it.

        The first Northville run was 5/17/1930. But a year earlier the company ran
        a service between Northville and Lake Pleasant with a small bus. (Any
        pictures, anyone - I need them) The Belt Line and Cross town service in
        G'ville started July 14, 1929.

        Reconstruction Finance Corporation made money available during the
        Depression. The FJ&G needed a loan to make interest payments on their debt,
        which they did not get in 1932.

        I was over in G'ville the other day to get that info from the library. It
        is closed on Monday in case any one else wants to go there. The address on
        Fifth Ave where I delivered the Gazette was 141. East Boulevard was paved
        after 1929. I will try to find out when the sewer and water was laid out
        for the Judson development. I expect the city engineer would have all this
        information. The Sanborn maps show the buildings and some of the services,
        as well, if you have access to a set. I use the one's at the NY Public
        Library at 42nd and 5th they have a bunch of neat maps there.

        PKL