Re: 44-tonner

  • Walt Danylak
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 1, 2004
      The 44-Ton was built by GE at Erie, PA in December 1941. GE, as well
      as a number of different builders, built "custom" locomotives that
      looked more or less like the 44-Ton in the 1930s. During the 1940s
      and later, GE built four basic switcher models for common carrier
      railroads, they are: 44-Ton, 45-Ton, 70-Ton and 95-Ton. GE also a 65-
      Ton and 80-Ton versions of the 44-Ton for mostly industrial use. The
      95-Ton is basically a 70-Ton with a heavier underframe.

      Walt
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 1, 2004
        Yes, I want one!

        Time to buy a diesel spotters guide Gino.......
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 1, 2004
          Thanks Walt!

          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 1, 2004
            Gino,

            Again in Trains magazine some years ago there is an interesting article
            about the 44 tonners and their testing and use on the B&M and MEC. All the
            whats and why or whens you could ever want. No index or I would tell you
            when the articles were published. I plan to reread all the Trains and RR
            Man's Mags etc after I retiree. You do need to get a Diesel spotters guide,
            new one and one of the early ones if you can find one; a couple locomotive
            cyclopediae are also real useful - they're costly but more than worth the
            price.

            PKL