RE: [FJGRailroad] 44-tonner

    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 1, 2004
      Time to buy a diesel spotters guide Gino.......

      >From: "Dicarlo, Gino" <Gino.Dicarlo@...>
      >To: "FJGrailroad (E-mail)" <FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com>
      >Subject: [FJGRailroad] 44-tonner
      >Date: Mon, 1 Mar 2004 12:53:18 -0600
      >

      >Hi guys,
      >
      >Does anyone know where the FJ&G's 44-tonner was built? Also, what other
      >"ton" models
      >were built by GE? I've seen 70-tonners and I recently saw in a book a 45
      >tonner.
      >
      >Gino
      >
      >Gino DiCarlo
      >Imaging
      >
      >Quad/Imaging
      >A Division of Quad/Graphics
      >
      >Saratoga Springs, New York
      >
      >518-581-4276 phone
      >gino.dicarlo@...
      >www.QG.com

      Stay informed on Election 2004 and the race to Super Tuesday.
      http://special.msn.com/msn/election2004.armx
    • Walt Danylak
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 1, 2004
        The 44-Ton was built by GE at Erie, PA in December 1941. GE, as well
        as a number of different builders, built "custom" locomotives that
        looked more or less like the 44-Ton in the 1930s. During the 1940s
        and later, GE built four basic switcher models for common carrier
        railroads, they are: 44-Ton, 45-Ton, 70-Ton and 95-Ton. GE also a 65-
        Ton and 80-Ton versions of the 44-Ton for mostly industrial use. The
        95-Ton is basically a 70-Ton with a heavier underframe.

        Walt
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 1, 2004
          Yes, I want one!

          Time to buy a diesel spotters guide Gino.......
          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 1, 2004
            Thanks Walt!

            Message 5 of 6 , Mar 1, 2004
              Gino,

              Again in Trains magazine some years ago there is an interesting article
              about the 44 tonners and their testing and use on the B&M and MEC. All the
              whats and why or whens you could ever want. No index or I would tell you
              when the articles were published. I plan to reread all the Trains and RR
              Man's Mags etc after I retiree. You do need to get a Diesel spotters guide,
              new one and one of the early ones if you can find one; a couple locomotive
              cyclopediae are also real useful - they're costly but more than worth the
              price.

              PKL