44-tonner

    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 1, 2004
      Hi guys,

      Does anyone know where the FJ&G's 44-tonner was built? Also, what other
      "ton" models
      were built by GE? I've seen 70-tonners and I recently saw in a book a 45
      tonner.

      Gino

      Gino DiCarlo
      Imaging

      Quad/Imaging
      A Division of Quad/Graphics

      Saratoga Springs, New York

      518-581-4276 phone
      gino.dicarlo@...
      www.QG.com
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 1, 2004
        Time to buy a diesel spotters guide Gino.......

        >From: "Dicarlo, Gino" <Gino.Dicarlo@...>
        >To: "FJGrailroad (E-mail)" <FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com>
        >Subject: [FJGRailroad] 44-tonner
        >Date: Mon, 1 Mar 2004 12:53:18 -0600
        >

        >Hi guys,
        >
        >Does anyone know where the FJ&G's 44-tonner was built? Also, what other
        >"ton" models
        >were built by GE? I've seen 70-tonners and I recently saw in a book a 45
        >tonner.
        >
        >Gino
        >
        >Gino DiCarlo
        >Imaging
        >
        >Quad/Imaging
        >A Division of Quad/Graphics
        >
        >Saratoga Springs, New York
        >
        >518-581-4276 phone
        >gino.dicarlo@...
        >www.QG.com

        Stay informed on Election 2004 and the race to Super Tuesday.
        http://special.msn.com/msn/election2004.armx
      • Walt Danylak
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 1, 2004
          The 44-Ton was built by GE at Erie, PA in December 1941. GE, as well
          as a number of different builders, built "custom" locomotives that
          looked more or less like the 44-Ton in the 1930s. During the 1940s
          and later, GE built four basic switcher models for common carrier
          railroads, they are: 44-Ton, 45-Ton, 70-Ton and 95-Ton. GE also a 65-
          Ton and 80-Ton versions of the 44-Ton for mostly industrial use. The
          95-Ton is basically a 70-Ton with a heavier underframe.

          Walt
          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 1, 2004
            Yes, I want one!

            Time to buy a diesel spotters guide Gino.......
            Message 5 of 6 , Mar 1, 2004
              Thanks Walt!

              Message 6 of 6 , Mar 1, 2004
                Gino,

                Again in Trains magazine some years ago there is an interesting article
                about the 44 tonners and their testing and use on the B&M and MEC. All the
                whats and why or whens you could ever want. No index or I would tell you
                when the articles were published. I plan to reread all the Trains and RR
                Man's Mags etc after I retiree. You do need to get a Diesel spotters guide,
                new one and one of the early ones if you can find one; a couple locomotive
                cyclopediae are also real useful - they're costly but more than worth the
                price.

                PKL