Re: Ex-PC/FJG boxcars

  • andrewsfusco
    Message 1 of 18 , Feb 29, 2004
      Leave it up to the 2 Marks here to come up with not only great
      answers,
      but greater follow up questions. After work Friday I went back up to
      Geneva to try to get some more details for ya all, like journal type,
      builder date, orginal PC serial number. Alas, I was too late and it
      was gone to who knows where.

      Down in Cooperstown Junction there's a string of out-of-service baby
      blue St. Lawrence box cars. Do they have any ex-DO connection?

      And what is "Berlin Mills."----Andy Fusco

      --- In FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com, "Mark" <mark_jacob2000@y...>
      wrote:
      > That may be, I always was under the impression they were rebuilds.
      In

      <waltdanylak@c...>
      > wrote:
      > > --- In FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com, "Mark" <mark_jacob2000@y...>
      > > wrote:
      > > ... even the 50 footers were actually strecthed 40 footers done
      by
      > > PC in the late 60s/early 70s from cars built in the 40s and 50s.
      > >
      > > For some reason everybody seems to think that the 50' box cars
      the
      > > FJ&G had were rebuilt by PC from 40' cars. They were not, they
      were
      > > built new by the NYC as 50' cars in 1954, 72000 series. The
      "FJ&G"
      > > box car in Gloversville still has the NYC markings inside. Its
      NYC

    • mwilber@webtv.net
      Message 2 of 18 , Mar 1, 2004
        Andy-Those St.Lawarence cars were stored on our line at one time. There
        were about 65 cars totaled. It was the same deal that Walt had with the
        FJG and the St.Lawarence ( NSL ). A few cars were being used by the
        junk yard next door for storing materials in them at the Jct. Why the
        were left behind,Im not sure. They could also be some of the damaged
        ones that were in the run-a-way incident in Milford. Mark
        Message 3 of 18 , Mar 1, 2004
          Andy,

          They scrapped some cars at the Junction this past summer. I think
          the long DO/CACV car was scrapped and the NSL cars. Josh could probably
          give us the exact cars scrapped. As for Berlin Mills, I don't know what
          railroad it is, but we have their cars at Quad Graphics all the time.
          I'm sure we receive paper in them...

          Message 4 of 18 , Mar 1, 2004
            I don't have the car numbers close at hand, think they were covered on the CACV
            list, I'd have go through the list archives, which are open to the public.

            --
            Joshua
            http://www.joshuakblay.com

            Quoting "Dicarlo, Gino" <Gino.Dicarlo@...>:

            > Andy,
            >

            > They scrapped some cars at the Junction this past summer.  I think
            >
            > the long DO/CACV car was scrapped and the NSL cars.  Josh could probably
            >
            > give us the exact cars scrapped. As for Berlin Mills, I don't know what
            >
            > railroad it is, but we have their cars at Quad Graphics all the time.
            >
            > I'm sure we receive paper in them...
            >

            > Gino

          • Mark
            Message 5 of 18 , Mar 1, 2004
              Berlin Mills Railway, Berlin, New Hampshire, ("BERR-lin", not like
              Germany's "ber-LINN"), formerly owned by Brown Paper Co. and
              successors James River and Crown Vantage, now part of St. Lawrence &
              Atlantic Ry. (the former Grand Trunk Ry.), Switches the paper mills
              at Berlin and Cascade.

              Mark

              Message 6 of 18 , Mar 1, 2004
                Berlin Mills is the paper mill in New Hampshire

                >From: "Dicarlo, Gino" <Gino.Dicarlo@...>
                >To: "'FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com'" <FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com>
                >Subject: RE: [FJGRailroad] Re: Ex-PC/FJG boxcars
                >Date: Mon, 1 Mar 2004 09:16:33 -0600
                >
                >Andy,
                >
                >They scrapped some cars at the Junction this past summer. I think
                >the long DO/CACV car was scrapped and the NSL cars. Josh could probably
                >give us the exact cars scrapped. As for Berlin Mills, I don't know what
                >railroad it is, but we have their cars at Quad Graphics all the time.
                >I'm sure we receive paper in them...
                >
                >Gino

                Click, drag and drop. My MSN is the simple way to design your homepage.
                Message 7 of 18 , Mar 1, 2004
                  Berlin Mills Railway was the Berlin Mills Railway. Owned by the Berlin
                  Paper Mills in Berlin NH and later by the subsequent owners. Interchanged
                  with the B&M south of Berlin and CN at Berlin. They had a large operation
                  which I think was diminished when WestVaCo took over the mill. WestVaCo I
                  was told had their own trucking operation. I don't have my indices so I
                  can't refer you to any articles but the road has been very well written up
                  in the fan mags over the years. Today neither B&M nor CN serves Berlin. I
                  believe it's the St. Lawrence and Atlantic that replaced the CN, but do not
                  know who replaced the B&M if the line is running at all (It was pretty
                  maintenance heavy up there in beautiful northern NH. Out around Cherry Pond
                  and Waumbec Jct., was one of the most magnificent places I've ever worked. I
                  suppose there are houses in here now.)

                  I do not know who owns the Berlin Mills reporting marks or whether the road
                  still operates in the mill.

                  PKL

                  >From: "Dicarlo, Gino" <Gino.Dicarlo@...>
                  >To: "'FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com'" <FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com>
                  >Subject: RE: [FJGRailroad] Re: Ex-PC/FJG boxcars
                  >Date: Mon, 1 Mar 2004 09:16:33 -0600
                  >
                  >Andy,
                  >
                  >They scrapped some cars at the Junction this past summer. I think
                  >the long DO/CACV car was scrapped and the NSL cars. Josh could probably
                  >give us the exact cars scrapped. As for Berlin Mills, I don't know what
                  >railroad it is, but we have their cars at Quad Graphics all the time.
                  >I'm sure we receive paper in them...
                  >
                  >Gino

                  Learn how to help protect your privacy and prevent fraud online at Tech
                  Hacks & Scams. http://special.msn.com/msnbc/techsafety.armx