Couple of mystery photos.

  • pklarner
    Message 1 of 9 , Feb 27, 2004
      I put a couple of photos in the files section starting with AAA to
      make them easy to find (I'll be taking them down shortly). Would
      like to learn the identity of the man in the window.

      Also thought you might enjoy a shot, albeit not the clearest, of an
      early FJ&G passenger train.

      PKL
    • Lee Morelli

        Message 3 of 9 , Feb 28, 2004
          Go to the group home page FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com or some such (it is
          the hoime page for our postings and responses). In the left margin is a
          title Files. Click on it.

          PKL

          >From: Lee Morelli <LeeDarshi@...>
          >To: FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com
          >Subject: Re: [FJGRailroad] Couple of mystery photos.
          >Date: Sat, 28 Feb 2004 07:09:44 -0500
          >
          >How does one find these files?
          >
          >At 2/28/2004 05:12 AM, you wrote:
          >>I put a couple of photos in the files section starting with AAA to
          >>make them easy to find (I'll be taking them down shortly). Would
          >>like to learn the identity of the man in the window.
          >>
          >>Also thought you might enjoy a shot, albeit not the clearest, of an
          >>early FJ&G passenger train.
          >>
          >>PKL

          Click, drag and drop. My MSN is the simple way to design your homepage.
        • Walt Danylak
          Message 4 of 9 , Feb 28, 2004
            The man looks somewhat like Caten, judging from the photo I've seen
            of him. The first coach looks to be one of earlier ones (#1 to #5)
            that Gilbert built from 1870-1881. The 2nd coach looks like one of
            the coaches (#6 to #12) the FJ&G purchased from the Baltimore &
            Potomac in the 1884 and 1886.

            Walt
            Message 5 of 9 , Feb 28, 2004
              I thought the first coach was the No.3 because of the roof line and length;
              the second I guessed to be either the 2 or the 4. the Cars purchased in
              1884 were primarily for excursion service and had no heat or particularly
              comfortable seating. The second car appears to have a stack on the corner.
              Also the clerestory and roof line doesn't match the 1884 coaches.

              The man in the window appears to be a bit older than Caten wold have been at
              the time, 54. David Wells is more likely at age 61. If you have a copy of
              Frothingham's history, 1892, you can compare each of their likenesses. Wish
              I could have pulled out more detail. So far I spent about ten hours working
              out the balances.

              PKL

              >From: "Walt Danylak" <waltdanylak@...>
              >To: FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com
              >Subject: [FJGRailroad] Re: Couple of mystery photos.
              >Date: Sat, 28 Feb 2004 13:48:20 -0000
              >
              >The man looks somewhat like Caten, judging from the photo I've seen
              >of him. The first coach looks to be one of earlier ones (#1 to #5)
              >that Gilbert built from 1870-1881. The 2nd coach looks like one of
              >the coaches (#6 to #12) the FJ&G purchased from the Baltimore &
              >Potomac in the 1884 and 1886.
              >
              >Walt

              Dream of owning a home? Find out how in the First-time Home Buying Guide.
              http://special.msn.com/home/firsthome.armx
              Message 6 of 9 , Feb 28, 2004
                Isn't that Willard Heacock? He would probably match that description
                around that time. If it's not him, It's U.S. Grant...

                Message 7 of 9 , Feb 28, 2004
                  I dont know about that Gino,with the white beard maybe General Lee.
                  Mark
                  Message 8 of 9 , Feb 28, 2004
                    It's pretty certainly not Heacock. Caten's hair was shorter and closer to
                    the head and his beard was not that long. David Wells fits the photo best.
                    It could be either Caten or Wells; I lean toward Wells in the absence of any
                    other pictures of Caten. The eyes are more like Wells also.

                    PKL

                    >From: "Dicarlo, Gino" <Gino.Dicarlo@...>
                    >To: "'FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com'" <FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com>
                    >Subject: RE: [FJGRailroad] Couple of mystery photos.
                    >Date: Sat, 28 Feb 2004 13:31:03 -0600
                    >
                    >Isn't that Willard Heacock? He would probably match that description
                    >around that time. If it's not him, It's U.S. Grant...
                    >
                    >Gino

                    Watch high-quality video with fast playback at MSN Video. Free!
                    Message 9 of 9 , Mar 1, 2004
                      That's who it is, Rober E. Lee. I wonder if he brought his pet
                      chicken with him!