Re: [FJGRailroad] Ex-PC/FJG boxcars

  • mwilber@webtv.net
    Message 1 of 18 , Feb 24, 2004
      Andy-I dont think we had 153600's series of box cars.Mark
    • Walt Danylak
      Message 2 of 18 , Feb 24, 2004
        --- In FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com, "Mark" <mark_jacob2000@y...>
        wrote:
        ... even the 50 footers were actually strecthed 40 footers done by
        PC in the late 60s/early 70s from cars built in the 40s and 50s.

        For some reason everybody seems to think that the 50' box cars the
        FJ&G had were rebuilt by PC from 40' cars. They were not, they were
        built new by the NYC as 50' cars in 1954, 72000 series. The "FJ&G"
        box car in Gloversville still has the NYC markings inside. Its NYC
        number was 72048.

        Walt
      • Mark
        Message 3 of 18 , Feb 25, 2004
          That may be, I always was under the impression they were rebuilds. In
          any event, the point I was trying to make is these are old, beat up,
          outdated cars, and if built in 1954 would still have just hit the 50
          year limit on interchange cars and therefore could only be used in
          captive service. Also Mark W. hit on another point, the DO/PC cars
          had solid bearings so unless trucks were replaced they could not be
          used in interchange service anyway. I still maintain that the
          sighting must be an SLR ex Berlin Mills cars, not a DO/PC car.

          Mark

          --- In FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com, "Walt Danylak" <waltdanylak@c...>

          Message 4 of 18 , Feb 26, 2004
            Josh,

            I've got some 50ft. Athearn, PC/NYC boxcars that I've painted over.
            Steve Lamora had some decals made for them so they can look just
            like the real thing. Steve could probably have some more made up!
            Before that, I just bought regular white letters, but most of the
            PC/FJG cars had italicized type. Some did have non-italic stencils.
            I could post some examples if anyone is curious...

            Message 5 of 18 , Feb 26, 2004
              I'd like to see some Gino. Thanks!

              --
              Joshua
              http://www.joshuakblay.com

              Quoting "Dicarlo, Gino" <Gino.Dicarlo@...>:

              > Josh,
              >

              > I've got some 50ft. Athearn, PC/NYC boxcars that I've painted over.
              >
              > Steve Lamora had some decals made for them so they can look just
              >
              > like the real thing.  Steve could probably have some more made up!
              >
              > Before that, I just bought regular white letters, but most of the
              >
              > PC/FJG  cars had italicized type.  Some did have non-italic stencils.
              >
              > I could post some examples if anyone is curious...
              >

              > Gino

            • andrewsfusco
              Message 6 of 18 , Feb 29, 2004
                Leave it up to the 2 Marks here to come up with not only great
                answers,
                but greater follow up questions. After work Friday I went back up to
                Geneva to try to get some more details for ya all, like journal type,
                builder date, orginal PC serial number. Alas, I was too late and it
                was gone to who knows where.

                Down in Cooperstown Junction there's a string of out-of-service baby
                blue St. Lawrence box cars. Do they have any ex-DO connection?

                And what is "Berlin Mills."----Andy Fusco

              • mwilber@webtv.net
                Message 7 of 18 , Mar 1 6:24 AM
                  Andy-Those St.Lawarence cars were stored on our line at one time. There
                  were about 65 cars totaled. It was the same deal that Walt had with the
                  FJG and the St.Lawarence ( NSL ). A few cars were being used by the
                  junk yard next door for storing materials in them at the Jct. Why the
                  were left behind,Im not sure. They could also be some of the damaged
                  ones that were in the run-a-way incident in Milford. Mark
                  Message 8 of 18 , Mar 1 7:16 AM
                    Andy,

                    They scrapped some cars at the Junction this past summer. I think
                    the long DO/CACV car was scrapped and the NSL cars. Josh could probably
                    give us the exact cars scrapped. As for Berlin Mills, I don't know what
                    railroad it is, but we have their cars at Quad Graphics all the time.
                    I'm sure we receive paper in them...

                    Message 9 of 18 , Mar 1 7:21 AM
                      I don't have the car numbers close at hand, think they were covered on the CACV
                      list, I'd have go through the list archives, which are open to the public.

                      --
                      Joshua
                      http://www.joshuakblay.com

                      Quoting "Dicarlo, Gino" <Gino.Dicarlo@...>:

                      > Andy,
                      >

                      > They scrapped some cars at the Junction this past summer.  I think
                      >
                      > the long DO/CACV car was scrapped and the NSL cars.  Josh could probably
                      >
                      > give us the exact cars scrapped. As for Berlin Mills, I don't know what
                      >
                      > railroad it is, but we have their cars at Quad Graphics all the time.
                      >
                      > I'm sure we receive paper in them...
                      >

                      > Gino

                    • Mark
                      Message 10 of 18 , Mar 1 10:08 AM
                        Berlin Mills Railway, Berlin, New Hampshire, ("BERR-lin", not like
                        Germany's "ber-LINN"), formerly owned by Brown Paper Co. and
                        successors James River and Crown Vantage, now part of St. Lawrence &
                        Atlantic Ry. (the former Grand Trunk Ry.), Switches the paper mills
                        at Berlin and Cascade.

                        Mark

                        Message 11 of 18 , Mar 1 12:33 PM
                          Berlin Mills is the paper mill in New Hampshire

                          >From: "Dicarlo, Gino" <Gino.Dicarlo@...>
                          >To: "'FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com'" <FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com>
                          >Subject: RE: [FJGRailroad] Re: Ex-PC/FJG boxcars
                          >Date: Mon, 1 Mar 2004 09:16:33 -0600
                          >
                          >Andy,
                          >
                          >They scrapped some cars at the Junction this past summer. I think
                          >the long DO/CACV car was scrapped and the NSL cars. Josh could probably
                          >give us the exact cars scrapped. As for Berlin Mills, I don't know what
                          >railroad it is, but we have their cars at Quad Graphics all the time.
                          >I'm sure we receive paper in them...
                          >
                          >Gino

                          Click, drag and drop. My MSN is the simple way to design your homepage.
                          Message 12 of 18 , Mar 1 7:39 PM
                            Berlin Mills Railway was the Berlin Mills Railway. Owned by the Berlin
                            Paper Mills in Berlin NH and later by the subsequent owners. Interchanged
                            with the B&M south of Berlin and CN at Berlin. They had a large operation
                            which I think was diminished when WestVaCo took over the mill. WestVaCo I
                            was told had their own trucking operation. I don't have my indices so I
                            can't refer you to any articles but the road has been very well written up
                            in the fan mags over the years. Today neither B&M nor CN serves Berlin. I
                            believe it's the St. Lawrence and Atlantic that replaced the CN, but do not
                            know who replaced the B&M if the line is running at all (It was pretty
                            maintenance heavy up there in beautiful northern NH. Out around Cherry Pond
                            and Waumbec Jct., was one of the most magnificent places I've ever worked. I
                            suppose there are houses in here now.)

                            I do not know who owns the Berlin Mills reporting marks or whether the road
                            still operates in the mill.

                            PKL

                            >From: "Dicarlo, Gino" <Gino.Dicarlo@...>
                            >To: "'FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com'" <FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com>
                            >Subject: RE: [FJGRailroad] Re: Ex-PC/FJG boxcars
                            >Date: Mon, 1 Mar 2004 09:16:33 -0600
                            >
                            >Andy,
                            >
                            >They scrapped some cars at the Junction this past summer. I think
                            >the long DO/CACV car was scrapped and the NSL cars. Josh could probably
                            >give us the exact cars scrapped. As for Berlin Mills, I don't know what
                            >railroad it is, but we have their cars at Quad Graphics all the time.
                            >I'm sure we receive paper in them...
                            >
                            >Gino

                            Learn how to help protect your privacy and prevent fraud online at Tech
                            Hacks & Scams. http://special.msn.com/msnbc/techsafety.armx