Re: [FJGRailroad] Ex-PC/FJG boxcars

  • Joshua K. Blay
    Message 1 of 18 , Feb 24, 2004
      What's the best HO scale model for these cars? Anyone?

      --
      Joshua
      http://www.joshuakblay.com

      Quoting mwilber@...:

    • mwilber@webtv.net
      Message 2 of 18 , Feb 24, 2004
        Andy-I dont think we had 153600's series of box cars.Mark
      • Walt Danylak
        Message 3 of 18 , Feb 24, 2004
          --- In FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com, "Mark" <mark_jacob2000@y...>
          wrote:
          ... even the 50 footers were actually strecthed 40 footers done by
          PC in the late 60s/early 70s from cars built in the 40s and 50s.

          For some reason everybody seems to think that the 50' box cars the
          FJ&G had were rebuilt by PC from 40' cars. They were not, they were
          built new by the NYC as 50' cars in 1954, 72000 series. The "FJ&G"
          box car in Gloversville still has the NYC markings inside. Its NYC
          number was 72048.

          Walt
        • Mark
          Message 4 of 18 , Feb 25, 2004
            That may be, I always was under the impression they were rebuilds. In
            any event, the point I was trying to make is these are old, beat up,
            outdated cars, and if built in 1954 would still have just hit the 50
            year limit on interchange cars and therefore could only be used in
            captive service. Also Mark W. hit on another point, the DO/PC cars
            had solid bearings so unless trucks were replaced they could not be
            used in interchange service anyway. I still maintain that the
            sighting must be an SLR ex Berlin Mills cars, not a DO/PC car.

            Mark

            --- In FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com, "Walt Danylak" <waltdanylak@c...>

            Message 5 of 18 , Feb 26, 2004
              Josh,

              I've got some 50ft. Athearn, PC/NYC boxcars that I've painted over.
              Steve Lamora had some decals made for them so they can look just
              like the real thing. Steve could probably have some more made up!
              Before that, I just bought regular white letters, but most of the
              PC/FJG cars had italicized type. Some did have non-italic stencils.
              I could post some examples if anyone is curious...

              Message 6 of 18 , Feb 26, 2004
                I'd like to see some Gino. Thanks!

                --
                Joshua
                http://www.joshuakblay.com

                Quoting "Dicarlo, Gino" <Gino.Dicarlo@...>:

                > Josh,
                >

                > I've got some 50ft. Athearn, PC/NYC boxcars that I've painted over.
                >
                > Steve Lamora had some decals made for them so they can look just
                >
                > like the real thing.  Steve could probably have some more made up!
                >
                > Before that, I just bought regular white letters, but most of the
                >
                > PC/FJG  cars had italicized type.  Some did have non-italic stencils.
                >
                > I could post some examples if anyone is curious...
                >

                > Gino

              • andrewsfusco
                Message 7 of 18 , Feb 29, 2004
                  Leave it up to the 2 Marks here to come up with not only great
                  answers,
                  but greater follow up questions. After work Friday I went back up to
                  Geneva to try to get some more details for ya all, like journal type,
                  builder date, orginal PC serial number. Alas, I was too late and it
                  was gone to who knows where.

                  Down in Cooperstown Junction there's a string of out-of-service baby
                  blue St. Lawrence box cars. Do they have any ex-DO connection?

                  And what is "Berlin Mills."----Andy Fusco

                • mwilber@webtv.net
                  Message 8 of 18 , Mar 1, 2004
                    Andy-Those St.Lawarence cars were stored on our line at one time. There
                    were about 65 cars totaled. It was the same deal that Walt had with the
                    FJG and the St.Lawarence ( NSL ). A few cars were being used by the
                    junk yard next door for storing materials in them at the Jct. Why the
                    were left behind,Im not sure. They could also be some of the damaged
                    ones that were in the run-a-way incident in Milford. Mark
                    Message 9 of 18 , Mar 1, 2004
                      Andy,

                      They scrapped some cars at the Junction this past summer. I think
                      the long DO/CACV car was scrapped and the NSL cars. Josh could probably
                      give us the exact cars scrapped. As for Berlin Mills, I don't know what
                      railroad it is, but we have their cars at Quad Graphics all the time.
                      I'm sure we receive paper in them...

                      Message 10 of 18 , Mar 1, 2004
                        I don't have the car numbers close at hand, think they were covered on the CACV
                        list, I'd have go through the list archives, which are open to the public.

                        --
                        Joshua
                        http://www.joshuakblay.com

                        Quoting "Dicarlo, Gino" <Gino.Dicarlo@...>:

                        > Andy,
                        >

                        > They scrapped some cars at the Junction this past summer.  I think
                        >
                        > the long DO/CACV car was scrapped and the NSL cars.  Josh could probably
                        >
                        > give us the exact cars scrapped. As for Berlin Mills, I don't know what
                        >
                        > railroad it is, but we have their cars at Quad Graphics all the time.
                        >
                        > I'm sure we receive paper in them...
                        >

                        > Gino

                      • Mark
                        Message 11 of 18 , Mar 1, 2004
                          Berlin Mills Railway, Berlin, New Hampshire, ("BERR-lin", not like
                          Germany's "ber-LINN"), formerly owned by Brown Paper Co. and
                          successors James River and Crown Vantage, now part of St. Lawrence &
                          Atlantic Ry. (the former Grand Trunk Ry.), Switches the paper mills
                          at Berlin and Cascade.

                          Mark

                          Message 12 of 18 , Mar 1, 2004
                            Berlin Mills is the paper mill in New Hampshire

                            >From: "Dicarlo, Gino" <Gino.Dicarlo@...>
                            >To: "'FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com'" <FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com>
                            >Subject: RE: [FJGRailroad] Re: Ex-PC/FJG boxcars
                            >Date: Mon, 1 Mar 2004 09:16:33 -0600
                            >
                            >Andy,
                            >
                            >They scrapped some cars at the Junction this past summer. I think
                            >the long DO/CACV car was scrapped and the NSL cars. Josh could probably
                            >give us the exact cars scrapped. As for Berlin Mills, I don't know what
                            >railroad it is, but we have their cars at Quad Graphics all the time.
                            >I'm sure we receive paper in them...
                            >
                            >Gino

                            Click, drag and drop. My MSN is the simple way to design your homepage.
                            Message 13 of 18 , Mar 1, 2004
                              Berlin Mills Railway was the Berlin Mills Railway. Owned by the Berlin
                              Paper Mills in Berlin NH and later by the subsequent owners. Interchanged
                              with the B&M south of Berlin and CN at Berlin. They had a large operation
                              which I think was diminished when WestVaCo took over the mill. WestVaCo I
                              was told had their own trucking operation. I don't have my indices so I
                              can't refer you to any articles but the road has been very well written up
                              in the fan mags over the years. Today neither B&M nor CN serves Berlin. I
                              believe it's the St. Lawrence and Atlantic that replaced the CN, but do not
                              know who replaced the B&M if the line is running at all (It was pretty
                              maintenance heavy up there in beautiful northern NH. Out around Cherry Pond
                              and Waumbec Jct., was one of the most magnificent places I've ever worked. I
                              suppose there are houses in here now.)

                              I do not know who owns the Berlin Mills reporting marks or whether the road
                              still operates in the mill.

                              PKL

                              >From: "Dicarlo, Gino" <Gino.Dicarlo@...>
                              >To: "'FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com'" <FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com>
                              >Subject: RE: [FJGRailroad] Re: Ex-PC/FJG boxcars
                              >Date: Mon, 1 Mar 2004 09:16:33 -0600
                              >
                              >Andy,
                              >
                              >They scrapped some cars at the Junction this past summer. I think
                              >the long DO/CACV car was scrapped and the NSL cars. Josh could probably
                              >give us the exact cars scrapped. As for Berlin Mills, I don't know what
                              >railroad it is, but we have their cars at Quad Graphics all the time.
                              >I'm sure we receive paper in them...
                              >
                              >Gino

                              Learn how to help protect your privacy and prevent fraud online at Tech
                              Hacks & Scams. http://special.msn.com/msnbc/techsafety.armx