Ex-PC/FJG boxcars

  • andrewsfusco
    Message 1 of 18 , Feb 24, 2004
      Dear fellow FJGers:
      Work took me to Geneva, NY yesterday and there on the
      easternmost end of the Finger Lakes RR yard I saw what
      for all the world looks like an ex-Penn Central/FJG boxcar
      from the DO era---green, green, and rust.
      Its been stencilled over with new reporting marks of
      SLR #480, which is a leasing company or railroad I'm not
      familiar with. Due to the snow, it was tough to get close
      enough to read the old numbers, but it looked like 153600.
      Assuming 153600 is correct, those of you with rosters
      can confirm whether it is ex-FJG, ex-LASB or something
      totally unrelated to DO.
      We talk here periodically about the ex-FJG box cars
      that are parked hither and yon for storage, but this one
      is in service. It was in a freight consist for or from
      the Geneva to Romulus turn job.
      It all got me thinking: what was the fate of those
      250 or so FJG box cars after 1984? ---Andy Fusco
    • Gino & Kelly DiCarlo
      Message 2 of 18 , Feb 24, 2004
        Speaking of which, I saw a slide not too long ago of a ex/pc
        boxcar with NYSW stenciled on her. Is this of the FJG lot and
        if so, how many went to the NYSW?

        Gino

        On Feb 24, 2004, at 9:22 AM, andrewsfusco wrote:

        > Dear fellow FJGers:
        > Work took me to Geneva, NY yesterday and there on the
        > easternmost end of the Finger Lakes RR yard I saw what
        > for all the world looks like an ex-Penn Central/FJG boxcar
        > from the DO era---green, green, and rust.
        > Its been stencilled over with new reporting marks of
        > SLR #480, which is a leasing company or railroad I'm not
        > familiar with. Due to the snow, it was tough to get close
        > enough to read the old numbers, but it looked like 153600.
        > Assuming 153600 is correct, those of you with rosters
        > can confirm whether it is ex-FJG, ex-LASB or something
        > totally unrelated to DO.
        > We talk here periodically about the ex-FJG box cars
        > that are parked hither and yon for storage, but this one
        > is in service. It was in a freight consist for or from
        > the Geneva to Romulus turn job.
        > It all got me thinking: what was the fate of those
        > 250 or so FJG box cars after 1984? ---Andy Fusco
        >

        > Visit Gino's Railpage at
        > http://www.ginosrailpage.com
        > http://gcdranet.homelinux.com/
        > Visit Pete Seftons Lost Landmark Page
        > http://www.lostlandmarks.org
        > Visit The NERAIL North American Photo Archive at
        > http://naphotos.nerail.org/
        > Yahoo! Groups Links

        Visit Gino's Railpage at
        http://www.ginosrailpage.com
      • Gino & Kelly DiCarlo
        Message 3 of 18 , Feb 24, 2004
          Andy,

          Looking through the FJ&G freight car roster, I don't see 153600
          listed. I see 153825-153839 and 153900-153999 as the
          closest to that car....

          Gino

          On Feb 24, 2004, at 9:22 AM, andrewsfusco wrote:

          > Dear fellow FJGers:
          > Work took me to Geneva, NY yesterday and there on the
          > easternmost end of the Finger Lakes RR yard I saw what
          > for all the world looks like an ex-Penn Central/FJG boxcar
          > from the DO era---green, green, and rust.
          > Its been stencilled over with new reporting marks of
          > SLR #480, which is a leasing company or railroad I'm not
          > familiar with. Due to the snow, it was tough to get close
          > enough to read the old numbers, but it looked like 153600.
          > Assuming 153600 is correct, those of you with rosters
          > can confirm whether it is ex-FJG, ex-LASB or something
          > totally unrelated to DO.
          > We talk here periodically about the ex-FJG box cars
          > that are parked hither and yon for storage, but this one
          > is in service. It was in a freight consist for or from
          > the Geneva to Romulus turn job.
          > It all got me thinking: what was the fate of those
          > 250 or so FJG box cars after 1984? ---Andy Fusco
          >

          > Visit Gino's Railpage at
          > http://www.ginosrailpage.com
          > http://gcdranet.homelinux.com/
          > Visit Pete Seftons Lost Landmark Page
          > http://www.lostlandmarks.org
          > Visit The NERAIL North American Photo Archive at
          > http://naphotos.nerail.org/
          > Yahoo! Groups Links

          Visit Gino's Railpage at
          http://www.ginosrailpage.com
        • Mark
          Message 4 of 18 , Feb 24, 2004
            SLR are the reporting marks for the ST. Lawrence & Atlantic. They own
            a bunch of the old jade green Berlin Mills 50' boxcars (outside
            braced w/ sliding door)in the 100-400 series and another series
            of "PC-green" cars in the 3000 series (these are outside braced w/
            plug doors) whose original owner is unkown to me. Suspect what you
            saw was one of these (from the number 480 that you give it sounds
            like an old BMS car) as the DO ex PC cars were at the end of the
            useful service lives when DO retired them in the mid-late 80s(after
            all, even the 50 footers were actually strecthed 40 footers done by
            PC in the late 60s/early 70s from cars built in the 40s and 50s), and
            would not be suitable for interchange freight service 20 years later
            without a complete ground-up rebuilding (as well as would likely
            exceed the 50 year rule for interchange service, unless the rebuild
            date took precedence over the build date in which case they would be
            interchangeable for maybe another decade or so).

            Most of the SLR cars still have their Berlin Mills herald and
            lettering but some may have it painted out.

            Mark

            --- In FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com, Gino & Kelly DiCarlo

          • mwilber@webtv.net
            Message 5 of 18 , Feb 24, 2004
              Andy, They dont interchange that car,right? Probably it still has the
              old journal boxes.Mark
            • Joshua K. Blay
              Message 6 of 18 , Feb 24, 2004
                What's the best HO scale model for these cars? Anyone?

                --
                Joshua
                http://www.joshuakblay.com

                Quoting mwilber@...:

              • mwilber@webtv.net
                Message 7 of 18 , Feb 24, 2004
                  Andy-I dont think we had 153600's series of box cars.Mark
                • Walt Danylak
                  Message 8 of 18 , Feb 24, 2004
                    --- In FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com, "Mark" <mark_jacob2000@y...>
                    wrote:
                    ... even the 50 footers were actually strecthed 40 footers done by
                    PC in the late 60s/early 70s from cars built in the 40s and 50s.

                    For some reason everybody seems to think that the 50' box cars the
                    FJ&G had were rebuilt by PC from 40' cars. They were not, they were
                    built new by the NYC as 50' cars in 1954, 72000 series. The "FJ&G"
                    box car in Gloversville still has the NYC markings inside. Its NYC
                    number was 72048.

                    Walt
                  • Mark
                    Message 9 of 18 , Feb 25, 2004
                      That may be, I always was under the impression they were rebuilds. In
                      any event, the point I was trying to make is these are old, beat up,
                      outdated cars, and if built in 1954 would still have just hit the 50
                      year limit on interchange cars and therefore could only be used in
                      captive service. Also Mark W. hit on another point, the DO/PC cars
                      had solid bearings so unless trucks were replaced they could not be
                      used in interchange service anyway. I still maintain that the
                      sighting must be an SLR ex Berlin Mills cars, not a DO/PC car.

                      Mark

                      --- In FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com, "Walt Danylak" <waltdanylak@c...>

                      Message 10 of 18 , Feb 26, 2004
                        Josh,

                        I've got some 50ft. Athearn, PC/NYC boxcars that I've painted over.
                        Steve Lamora had some decals made for them so they can look just
                        like the real thing. Steve could probably have some more made up!
                        Before that, I just bought regular white letters, but most of the
                        PC/FJG cars had italicized type. Some did have non-italic stencils.
                        I could post some examples if anyone is curious...

                        Message 11 of 18 , Feb 26, 2004
                          I'd like to see some Gino. Thanks!

                          --
                          Joshua
                          http://www.joshuakblay.com

                          Quoting "Dicarlo, Gino" <Gino.Dicarlo@...>:

                          > Josh,
                          >

                          > I've got some 50ft. Athearn, PC/NYC boxcars that I've painted over.
                          >
                          > Steve Lamora had some decals made for them so they can look just
                          >
                          > like the real thing.  Steve could probably have some more made up!
                          >
                          > Before that, I just bought regular white letters, but most of the
                          >
                          > PC/FJG  cars had italicized type.  Some did have non-italic stencils.
                          >
                          > I could post some examples if anyone is curious...
                          >

                          > Gino

                        • andrewsfusco
                          Message 12 of 18 , Feb 29, 2004
                            Leave it up to the 2 Marks here to come up with not only great
                            answers,
                            but greater follow up questions. After work Friday I went back up to
                            Geneva to try to get some more details for ya all, like journal type,
                            builder date, orginal PC serial number. Alas, I was too late and it
                            was gone to who knows where.

                            Down in Cooperstown Junction there's a string of out-of-service baby
                            blue St. Lawrence box cars. Do they have any ex-DO connection?

                            And what is "Berlin Mills."----Andy Fusco

                          • mwilber@webtv.net
                            Message 13 of 18 , Mar 1, 2004
                              Andy-Those St.Lawarence cars were stored on our line at one time. There
                              were about 65 cars totaled. It was the same deal that Walt had with the
                              FJG and the St.Lawarence ( NSL ). A few cars were being used by the
                              junk yard next door for storing materials in them at the Jct. Why the
                              were left behind,Im not sure. They could also be some of the damaged
                              ones that were in the run-a-way incident in Milford. Mark
                              Message 14 of 18 , Mar 1, 2004
                                Andy,

                                They scrapped some cars at the Junction this past summer. I think
                                the long DO/CACV car was scrapped and the NSL cars. Josh could probably
                                give us the exact cars scrapped. As for Berlin Mills, I don't know what
                                railroad it is, but we have their cars at Quad Graphics all the time.
                                I'm sure we receive paper in them...

                                Message 15 of 18 , Mar 1, 2004
                                  I don't have the car numbers close at hand, think they were covered on the CACV
                                  list, I'd have go through the list archives, which are open to the public.

                                  --
                                  Joshua
                                  http://www.joshuakblay.com

                                  Quoting "Dicarlo, Gino" <Gino.Dicarlo@...>:

                                  > Andy,
                                  >

                                  > They scrapped some cars at the Junction this past summer.  I think
                                  >
                                  > the long DO/CACV car was scrapped and the NSL cars.  Josh could probably
                                  >
                                  > give us the exact cars scrapped. As for Berlin Mills, I don't know what
                                  >
                                  > railroad it is, but we have their cars at Quad Graphics all the time.
                                  >
                                  > I'm sure we receive paper in them...
                                  >

                                  > Gino

                                • Mark
                                  Message 16 of 18 , Mar 1, 2004
                                    Berlin Mills Railway, Berlin, New Hampshire, ("BERR-lin", not like
                                    Germany's "ber-LINN"), formerly owned by Brown Paper Co. and
                                    successors James River and Crown Vantage, now part of St. Lawrence &
                                    Atlantic Ry. (the former Grand Trunk Ry.), Switches the paper mills
                                    at Berlin and Cascade.

                                    Mark

                                    Message 17 of 18 , Mar 1, 2004
                                      Berlin Mills is the paper mill in New Hampshire

                                      >From: "Dicarlo, Gino" <Gino.Dicarlo@...>
                                      >To: "'FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com'" <FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com>
                                      >Subject: RE: [FJGRailroad] Re: Ex-PC/FJG boxcars
                                      >Date: Mon, 1 Mar 2004 09:16:33 -0600
                                      >
                                      >Andy,
                                      >
                                      >They scrapped some cars at the Junction this past summer. I think
                                      >the long DO/CACV car was scrapped and the NSL cars. Josh could probably
                                      >give us the exact cars scrapped. As for Berlin Mills, I don't know what
                                      >railroad it is, but we have their cars at Quad Graphics all the time.
                                      >I'm sure we receive paper in them...
                                      >
                                      >Gino

                                      Click, drag and drop. My MSN is the simple way to design your homepage.
                                      Message 18 of 18 , Mar 1, 2004
                                        Berlin Mills Railway was the Berlin Mills Railway. Owned by the Berlin
                                        Paper Mills in Berlin NH and later by the subsequent owners. Interchanged
                                        with the B&M south of Berlin and CN at Berlin. They had a large operation
                                        which I think was diminished when WestVaCo took over the mill. WestVaCo I
                                        was told had their own trucking operation. I don't have my indices so I
                                        can't refer you to any articles but the road has been very well written up
                                        in the fan mags over the years. Today neither B&M nor CN serves Berlin. I
                                        believe it's the St. Lawrence and Atlantic that replaced the CN, but do not
                                        know who replaced the B&M if the line is running at all (It was pretty
                                        maintenance heavy up there in beautiful northern NH. Out around Cherry Pond
                                        and Waumbec Jct., was one of the most magnificent places I've ever worked. I
                                        suppose there are houses in here now.)

                                        I do not know who owns the Berlin Mills reporting marks or whether the road
                                        still operates in the mill.

                                        PKL

                                        >From: "Dicarlo, Gino" <Gino.Dicarlo@...>
                                        >To: "'FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com'" <FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com>
                                        >Subject: RE: [FJGRailroad] Re: Ex-PC/FJG boxcars
                                        >Date: Mon, 1 Mar 2004 09:16:33 -0600
                                        >
                                        >Andy,
                                        >
                                        >They scrapped some cars at the Junction this past summer. I think
                                        >the long DO/CACV car was scrapped and the NSL cars. Josh could probably
                                        >give us the exact cars scrapped. As for Berlin Mills, I don't know what
                                        >railroad it is, but we have their cars at Quad Graphics all the time.
                                        >I'm sure we receive paper in them...
                                        >
                                        >Gino

                                        Learn how to help protect your privacy and prevent fraud online at Tech
                                        Hacks & Scams. http://special.msn.com/msnbc/techsafety.armx