Re: [FJGRailroad] From The Archives

    Message 1 of 87 , Jan 26, 2004
      No I remember seeing the 20 gtetting disassembled. At some point I am sure
      they took a torch to her but when I saw her at LF they were taking parts
      off. This was done south of the shop a hundred feet adjacent to the ready
      tracks.
      It just occurred to me I tried to buy the horn off of her and I got a letter
      saying I coulsd have it for $75. I'll look for that letter and the date will
      lock in the when question.

      Message 87 of 87 , Mar 24, 2009
        My kids said, "Dad are you going to have a fire tonight? It is spring! Yes but it will be cold tonight" I replied.

        And with that, while rummaging around the archives, I found a copy of PC RAILROADER July-August 1975. On page 4 there is a photo of FJG 153998 with the following caption, "The Fonda, Johnstown & Gloversville located off the Mohawk Division in Amsterdam, New York acquired 100 40' and 138 50' box cars from Penn Central. photo by the editor - Joe Klapkowski

        I know the caption is inaccurate. I did not write it.  This was way before the days of the internet and common information. To have a by- line back then at the ripe old age of 15 was, well, pretty cool.

        Internet Explorer 8 – Now Available. Faster, safer, easier. Download FREE now!