Re: Question about FJ&G S-2 colors; and a coincidence

  • andrewsfusco
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 1, 2004
      Dear Mike:
      The numbers, letters and outline of the stripes are black. The
      numberboards on 20 are white on black. On 21 are black on white.
      The long nose front striping on 20 and 21 are slightly different,
      such that on 20 the 20 is black on orange, and on 21 its on black on
      yellow.
      The trim paint around the large lower cab windows which look down
      the sides of the long nose is different on 20 and 21. On 20 those two
      windows are outlined in orange. On 21 those two windows are outlined
      in black.
      If you are doing HO, Rail Graphics (847-742-5404) did up some FJG
      sets about 10 years ago for Rev. David Maxfield that went for
      something
      $10 a piece. They are accurate for the striping of 20 and with a
      little custom cutting and outlining can be made to work for 21. Steve
      Lamora may know Rev. David's current whereabout.
      Re: the color orange. The l979 Model Railroader formula is too
      light for my taste. When new, the FJ&G's orange was just a tad
      lighter
      than Allis Chalmers orange, and just a tad darker than El&E box car
      orange.
      Good luck, and good modeling.---Andy Fusco
      --- In FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com, "b_michael_berger" <
      b_michael_berger@y...> wrote:
      > I'm about to paint a new undecorated Alco S-2 as FJ&G #21. The
      August
      > 1979 Model Railroader provides guidance for "faded" colors - does
      > anyone know the paint formula for "new" paint? I'll be making my
      own
      > decals on my computer. I've identified font "Trebuchet MS" size 8 as
      > VERY close for name - but is "FONDA JOHNSTOWN AND GLOVERSVILLE", as
      > well as main numbers, black? The 1979 MR cover photo shows the name,
      > as well as the outlines around the yellow stripes, to be dark red or
      > maroon. I've selected font Chicago for the numbers, size 8 for
      front
      > and rear, 14 for cab.
      >
      > Any other hints would be appreciated.
      >
      > Now for the coincidence. I was in Granddad's Hobby Shop in
      > Springfield, VA yesterday, talking to staff person Bob Cook (he's
      very
      > involved in trains, the Vienna, VA HO Club, etc.) about the FJ&G.
      One