RE: [FJGRailroad] Question about FJ&G S-2 colors; and a coincidence

    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 1, 2004
      I took the liberty back in 1982 or there abouts to measure the
      featers/stripes and distances between them to create a paint diagram. If you
      would like them send me an email off list.

      >From: "b_michael_berger" <b_michael_berger@...>
      >To: FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com
      >Subject: [FJGRailroad] Question about FJ&G S-2 colors; and a coincidence
      >Date: Thu, 01 Jan 2004 14:12:50 -0000
      >
      >I'm about to paint a new undecorated Alco S-2 as FJ&G #21. The August
      >1979 Model Railroader provides guidance for "faded" colors - does
      >anyone know the paint formula for "new" paint? I'll be making my own
      >decals on my computer. I've identified font "Trebuchet MS" size 8 as
      >VERY close for name - but is "FONDA JOHNSTOWN AND GLOVERSVILLE", as
      >well as main numbers, black? The 1979 MR cover photo shows the name,
      >as well as the outlines around the yellow stripes, to be dark red or
      >maroon. I've selected font Chicago for the numbers, size 8 for front
      >and rear, 14 for cab.
      >
      >Any other hints would be appreciated.
      >
      >Now for the coincidence. I was in Granddad's Hobby Shop in
      >Springfield, VA yesterday, talking to staff person Bob Cook (he's very
      >involved in trains, the Vienna, VA HO Club, etc.) about the FJ&G. One
      >of the other staff walked over - asked what railroad we were talking
      >about (he had been partially listening) and handed us the January 2004
      >issue of "CTC Board: Railroads Illustrated." Article on page 18 is
      >"New York State: The Capital District - 1967-1977". On page 24 is a
      >great picture of #21 and its matching caboose! I bought the magazine.
      > Oh, in this pic the colors for name, numbers and stripe outline
      >appear to be black.
      >
      >Please respond to my home e-mail (smberg@...) as well as to
      >Gino's message board.
      >
      >Thanks. Hope you all have a great 2004.
      >
      >Mike Berger
      >Vienna, VA

    • andrewsfusco
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 1, 2004
        Dear Mike:
        The numbers, letters and outline of the stripes are black. The
        numberboards on 20 are white on black. On 21 are black on white.
        The long nose front striping on 20 and 21 are slightly different,
        such that on 20 the 20 is black on orange, and on 21 its on black on
        yellow.
        The trim paint around the large lower cab windows which look down
        the sides of the long nose is different on 20 and 21. On 20 those two
        windows are outlined in orange. On 21 those two windows are outlined
        in black.
        If you are doing HO, Rail Graphics (847-742-5404) did up some FJG
        sets about 10 years ago for Rev. David Maxfield that went for
        something
        $10 a piece. They are accurate for the striping of 20 and with a
        little custom cutting and outlining can be made to work for 21. Steve
        Lamora may know Rev. David's current whereabout.
        Re: the color orange. The l979 Model Railroader formula is too
        light for my taste. When new, the FJ&G's orange was just a tad
        lighter
        than Allis Chalmers orange, and just a tad darker than El&E box car
        orange.
        Good luck, and good modeling.---Andy Fusco
        --- In FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com, "b_michael_berger" <