Roland's Notes 12/27

    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 27, 2003
      Hi Guys,

      Here Rolo talks about the ball park in Gloversville and minor league
      baseball. Enjoy!

      Gino

      In the days circa (the great depression) 5th Ave west of the Gloversville
      city was sparsely populated and 5th ave extension was an unimproved road.
      As a child I used to sneak in to the Fulton-Hamilton County Fair Grounds. I
      lived within 2 blocks of it and a group of us kids had a secret place where
      we could sneak in. We prided ourselves with attending every day of the week
      long event. . The fair grounds had a one-quarter mile oval race track where
      trotters and pacers ran. There were also two big barns to house the horses
      on the site plus a house where a deputy sheriff lived. The grandstand was
      refurbished when the Gloversville Glovers of the Can-Am league. I attended
      100s of Can-Am league there. By this time I had grown up and paid my way
      into the ball park.

      The grandstand was just about where Wal-Mart is now.

      I saw many future major leaguers play there, including Ed Sawyer, however
      only a few of them were Glovers. Charlie Harmon married a Gloversville
      native and wound up on the Cincinnati Reds. The most memorable game I
      witnessed there, I saw Earl Jones strike out 21 Romans in a night game, this
      was the entire major and minor league record until Tommy Lasorda, another
      ex-Can Am league beat him with 24 strikeouts.

      I can't say who was the greatest but Whitey Tulacz was the first Glover to
      win 20 games. Pappy Lehman led the league in home run league while with the
      Glovers. No body knew how old Lehman was. The rumor was that he was over 40.
      I also Pete Gray, the one armed outfielder play there. Pete made it to the
      majors and batted over 300 for the former St. Louis Browns.

      Pete Gray, with his well developed one arm was an excellent bunter, and as
      you say, he could run like a scalded dog and he also could hit for power. I
      saw him hit one out of the Glovers park and even though he was the enemy,
      the Glovers fans including myself gave him a standing ovation. The year
      before he played with Browns, he led the Southern Association in batting
      averages.

      I once met George Burns. He ran a pool parlor on South Main Street. I also
      knew Bud Holmes, a Gloversville native who was an outfielder with the Boston
      Red Sox when Babe Ruth played for Boston.

      Gloversville had a working agreement with Pittsburgh and I saw the
      Pittsburgh Pirates play an exhibition game in Glovers Park. The major
      leaguers all batted cross handed so they wouldn't run up the score too much.

      At one time after the ball games were out, the Schines, who owned most of
      the theaters in this section, thought that the site was being sought for an
      open-air theater, so they bought it just to keep out the competition. Money
      follows money and when Nichols decided to build a mall there, guess who made
      a big profit??

      Roland Bowers

      Gino DiCarlo
      Imaging

      Quad/Imaging
      A Division of Quad/Graphics

      Saratoga Springs, New York

      518-581-4276 phone
      gino.dicarlo@...
      www.QG.com
    • Walt Danylak
      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 28, 2003
        <Gino.Dicarlo@q...> wrote:
        Hi Guys,

        Here Rolo talks about the ball park in Gloversville and minor league
        baseball. Enjoy!

        Gino

        In the days circa (the great depression) 5th Ave west of the
        Gloversville ...

        Gino,

        That should be east not west. 5th Avenue ends at North Main Street,
        there is no 5th Avenue west of that.

        Walt
      • Gino & Kelly DiCarlo
        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 28, 2003
          > --- In FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com, "Dicarlo, Gino"
          > <Gino.Dicarlo@q...> wrote:
          > Hi Guys,
          >
          > Here Rolo talks about the ball park in Gloversville and minor league
          > baseball. Enjoy!
          >
          > Gino
          >
          > In the days circa (the great depression) 5th Ave west of the
          > Gloversville ...
          >
          > Gino,
          >
          > That should be east not west. 5th Avenue ends at North Main Street,
          > there is no 5th Avenue west of that.
          >
          > Walt

          Walt,

          Roland wrote that, not me. I didn't correct his notes...

          Gino
        • andrewsfusco
          Message 4 of 7 , Dec 29, 2003
            --- In FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com, Gino & Kelly DiCarlo <
            dicarlos@l...> wrote:
            > > --- In FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com, "Dicarlo, Gino"
            > > <Gino.Dicarlo@q...> wrote:
            > > Hi Guys,
            > >
            > > Here Rolo talks about the ball park in Gloversville and minor
            league
            > > baseball. Enjoy!
            > >
            > > Gino
            > >
            > > In the days circa (the great depression) 5th Ave west of the
            > > Gloversville ...

            Hey, speaking of minor league ball in G-ville, didn't Jack McKeon
            (who just managed the Florida Marlins to the World Series
            Championship)
            play ball in Gloversville back when he was a teenager in the final
            year(s) or Gloversville having a team? ---Andy Fusco
          • andrewsfusco
            Message 5 of 7 , Dec 29, 2003

              Message 6 of 7 , Jan 1, 2004
                Hey, long time no hear Andy!

                Gino

                Message 7 of 7 , Jan 1, 2004
                  My uncle Mike was very into that league as well as the little league. They
                  used to have games over at the Glove Inn which was just down the street on
                  Extension Steele Ave

                  >From: Gino & Kelly DiCarlo <dicarlos@...>
                  >To: FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com
                  >Subject: Re: [FJGRailroad] Re: Roland's Notes 12/27
                  >Date: Thu, 1 Jan 2004 14:22:12 -0500
                  >
                  >Hey, long time no hear Andy!
                  >
                  >Gino
                  >

                  > > Hey, speaking of minor league ball in G-ville, didn't Jack McKeon
                  > > (who just managed the Florida Marlins to the World Series
                  > > Championship)
                  > > play ball in Gloversville back when he was a teenager in the final
                  > > year(s) or Gloversville having a team? ---Andy Fusco

                  Expand your wine savvy � and get some great new recipes � at MSN Wine.
                  http://wine.msn.com