Gas Car

  • Gino And Kelly DiCarlo
    Message 1 of 10 , Sep 4, 1999
      > Thinking of remaining relics, while they last - a curious sight os gas car
      > 202 sitting off the south side of route 7, east of Troy about 5 to 10 miles.
      > It seems so small.

      Paul,

      I've heard that an old FJG gas car was sitting somewhere outside of Troy,
      maybe in Grafton. Are you sure it's off of Route 7 and what kind of shape
      is it in? Can it be checked out without trespassing on private land?

      Visit Gino's RailPage...
      Home of The F.J.G.R.R.
      http://www.capital.net/~dicarlos

      Join the FJG discussion list at ONELIST...
      http://www.onelist.com/subscribe/FJGRailroad/
      Message 2 of 10 , Sep 4, 1999
        I'm not sure of the car's exact location but I do know it's in Grafton and
        near Rte. 7.

        I saw photos of it a few years ago and, from what I saw in the pictures, all
        that exists of it is the metal frame. There is no bottom in the frame; it's
        not on a chassis and there isn't anything left except the metal shell.

        Message 3 of 10 , Sep 5, 1999
          Grafton sounds familiar and it may be route 2, I haven't a map here to cross
          check. I missed it the outward trip and wound up over at route 22 at a T
          intersection after descending a long hill. If that sounds familiar for
          route 2 then 2 it is. It's off to the right as you head east down and maybe
          100 feet from the road. You can drive up almost to it and get out and walk
          around.

          It distinguishable; the number can be discerned and you can get to it
          without getting shot or bit by the junkyard dog. I walked through it but be
          prepared. It's kind of neat that it's there, while disappointing that it
          has fallen into such disrepair. It is beyond repair. The roof is gone if I
          recall correctly and essentially so is everything else. Kind of like dumping
          a pail of liquid. After it's gone there's nothing left but the dampness to
          tell you what was in the pail.

          Message 4 of 10 , Sep 5, 1999
            Yeah, that pretty well describes it. You recall it on route 7? After
            Gino's question I'm not sure.

            Message 5 of 10 , Sep 5, 1999
              For some reason Rte. 7 sounds familiar but I'm not absolutely certain. I
              haven't seen the car, but as I said I have talked to those who have.

              I have pictures of the car leaving Gloversville.

              The car we are referring to is #202, the last of FJ&G gasoline cars to leave
              the property. It was trucked out December 24, 1957 and went to Troy after
              being sold to new owners. The new owners planned to operate some kind of
              roaming track gang which would repair and/or tear apart old shortlines and
              branches. The Leader-Herald ran a story on it and I have a copy of it at
              home.

              Message 6 of 10 , Sep 6, 1999
                >So Aaron,
                >
                >The car went to Troy with hopes of getting work and then it just ended
                >up in this field? It never saw work again after the FJG?

                As I recall, the car left Gloversville for use on this salvage gang and
                never returned to the FJ&G. It was the last one to leave the FJ&G and it
                was trucked out.

                I'm not sure if the salvage gang ever used it or not. From what I recall of
                the article, the gang was just starting to form and I'm not sure if it ever
                got off the ground.

                My gut instinct tells me no, the car never saw other service, even on the
                salvage gang. But, you never know... anyone who might have information to
                show it being used elsewhere is welcome to disagree with me. I've never
                researched what became of those who purchased the car.

                -Aaron
              • Gino And Kelly DiCarlo
                Message 7 of 10 , Sep 6, 1999

                  ----------

                  Message 8 of 10 , Jan 4, 2001
                    Glenn W. Said:

                    Randy and others can correct me, but if this is the same car I saw
                    pictures of 3 years ago in Johnstown, you may have George
                    Washington's hammer on your hands. You know, "the handle's been
                    replaced six times and the head twice, but yes, it's George
                    Washington's hammer." It was in really tough shape then, barely a
                    frame with a semblence of a roof.

                    Snow-wise, it's gone from ugly to nasty here in Cow Hampshire. There
                    must be four inches now, for Concord just sent out the plows. . .

                    Glenn

                    Glenn,

                    What is George Washington's Hammer?

                    Gino DiCarlo
                    ----------------------------------
                    gdicarlo@...
                    Quad Imaging Saratoga
                    x4276

                  • Glenn Williams
                    Message 9 of 10 , Jan 4, 2001
                      --- In FJGRailroad@egroups.com, "Dicarlo, Gino" <Gino.Dicarlo@q...>
                      wrote:
                      > [snip]
                      >
                      > What is George Washington's Hammer?
                      >
                      > [snip]

                      Gino,

                      The story of George Washington's hammer, as I condensed it, is
                      usually cited as a cautionary tale to demonstrate that what you are
                      told something is may not be what it is.

                      In the case of the gas car, as others have pointed out, the existing
                      remains would form but a starting point.

                      I was trying to be clever but ended up being obtuse. I gotta watch
                      that.

                      Glenn
                      Message 10 of 10 , Jan 4, 2001
                        I'm sorry Glenn, probably more of me being naive than you being obtuse!
                        It was more you saying the car was near Johnstown than you using George
                        Washington's hammer or is it axe?

                        Gino DiCarlo
                        gdicarlo@...
                        Quad Imaging Saratoga