FJ&G 21 in January CTC Board

  • dhc628
    Message 1 of 24 , Dec 13, 2003
      Folks,

      There is a nice article about railfanning in the Capital District
      1967-1977 in the January issue of CTC Board. Author Jeremy Plant even
      included a beautiful, well lit shot of #21 and caboose in
      Gloversville. Can anyone tell me if Fairbanks Feed still exists. I'd
      love to see some more pics showing these buildings if anyone has some.
      Especially interested in the Fairbanks Feed building. I may be
      making a trip back to Ballston Spa in late January and I would like to
      spend a half a day or so taking some pictures along the FJ&G right of
      way.

      Thanks,
      Jason Cook
      Fort Wayne, IN
      Message 2 of 24 , Dec 14, 2003
        Jason,

        The building still stands, in use as a truck epair shop. It is the former
        FJ&G shop building built in 1887. There are a large number of photos
        available of this building. Fairbanks was previously located off W. Eighth
        Ave in Gloversville and there are also pictures of these buildings. Try to
        make one of the meetings.

        PKL

        >From: "dhc628" <dhc628@...>
        >To: FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com
        >Subject: [FJGRailroad] FJ&G 21 in January CTC Board
        >Date: Sun, 14 Dec 2003 07:17:32 -0000
        >
        >Folks,
        >
        >There is a nice article about railfanning in the Capital District
        >1967-1977 in the January issue of CTC Board. Author Jeremy Plant even
        >included a beautiful, well lit shot of #21 and caboose in
        >Gloversville. Can anyone tell me if Fairbanks Feed still exists. I'd
        >love to see some more pics showing these buildings if anyone has some.
        > Especially interested in the Fairbanks Feed building. I may be
        >making a trip back to Ballston Spa in late January and I would like to
        >spend a half a day or so taking some pictures along the FJ&G right of
        >way.
        >
        >Thanks,
        >Jason Cook
        >Fort Wayne, IN

        Get holiday tips for festive fun.
        Message 3 of 24 , Dec 14, 2003
          Then I looked at your address; so much for attending a meeting. Let me see
          what I can put together. Aare you only interested in the Fairbanks years in
          the shop building?

          PKL

          >From: "dhc628" <dhc628@...>
          >To: FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com
          >Subject: [FJGRailroad] FJ&G 21 in January CTC Board
          >Date: Sun, 14 Dec 2003 07:17:32 -0000
          >
          >Folks,
          >
          >There is a nice article about railfanning in the Capital District
          >1967-1977 in the January issue of CTC Board. Author Jeremy Plant even
          >included a beautiful, well lit shot of #21 and caboose in
          >Gloversville. Can anyone tell me if Fairbanks Feed still exists. I'd
          >love to see some more pics showing these buildings if anyone has some.
          > Especially interested in the Fairbanks Feed building. I may be
          >making a trip back to Ballston Spa in late January and I would like to
          >spend a half a day or so taking some pictures along the FJ&G right of
          >way.
          >
          >Thanks,
          >Jason Cook
          >Fort Wayne, IN

          Shop online for kids� toys by age group, price range, and toy category at
          MSN Shopping. No waiting for a clerk to help you! http://shopping.msn.com
        • Gino & Kelly DiCarlo
          Message 4 of 24 , Dec 15, 2003
            > Folks,
            >
            > There is a nice article about railfanning in the Capital District
            > 1967-1977 in the January issue of CTC Board. Author Jeremy Plant even
            > included a beautiful, well lit shot of #21 and caboose in
            > Gloversville. Can anyone tell me if Fairbanks Feed still exists. I'd
            > love to see some more pics showing these buildings if anyone has some.
            > Especially interested in the Fairbanks Feed building. I may be
            > making a trip back to Ballston Spa in late January and I would like to
            > spend a half a day or so taking some pictures along the FJ&G right of
            > way.
            >
            > Thanks,
            > Jason Cook
            > Fort Wayne, IN

            Where do you get this magazine? I'd love to see it! Also, yes the
            Building for Fairbanks Feed is still there. It is now Adirondack Truck
            repair and the building isn't going anywhere...

            Gino
          • Gino & Kelly DiCarlo
            Message 5 of 24 , Dec 15, 2003
              > Folks,
              >
              > There is a nice article about railfanning in the Capital District
              > 1967-1977 in the January issue of CTC Board. Author Jeremy Plant even
              > included a beautiful, well lit shot of #21 and caboose in
              > Gloversville. Can anyone tell me if Fairbanks Feed still exists. I'd
              > love to see some more pics showing these buildings if anyone has some.
              > Especially interested in the Fairbanks Feed building. I may be
              > making a trip back to Ballston Spa in late January and I would like to
              > spend a half a day or so taking some pictures along the FJ&G right of
              > way.
              >
              > Thanks,
              > Jason Cook
              > Fort Wayne, IN

              One more thing... I believe that Jeremy Plant has taken some great D&H
              pictures over the years and may even be the author of one of the "D&H in
              Color" books...

              Gino
            • Rogers Finch
              Message 6 of 24 , Dec 15, 2003
                Could anyone tell me if this is the Jeremy Plant who is the son of Ken and Ginny Plant of Poestenkill? If so, how can I get in touch with him?

                Rogers Finch
                Peabody MA

                > There is a nice article about railfanning in the Capital District
                > 1967-1977 in the January issue of CTC Board.  Author Jeremy Plant even
                > included a beautiful, well lit shot of #21 and caboose in
                > Gloversville.  Can anyone tell me if Fairbanks Feed still exists.  I'd
                > love to see some more pics showing these buildings if anyone has some.
                > Especially interested in the Fairbanks Feed building.  I may be
                > making a trip back to Ballston Spa in late January and I would like to
                > spend a half a day or so taking some pictures along the FJ&G right of
                > way.
                >
                > Thanks,
                > Jason Cook
                > Fort Wayne, IN

                One more thing... I believe that Jeremy Plant has taken some great D&H
                pictures over the years and may even be the author of one of the "D&H in
                Color" books...

                Visit Pete Seftons Lost Landmark Page
                http://www.lostlandmarks.org
                Visit The NERAIL North American Photo Archive at http://naphotos.nerail.org/

              • Jason C
                Message 7 of 24 , Dec 15, 2003
                  --- Gino & Kelly DiCarlo <dicarlos@...>
                  wrote:

                  > Where do you get this magazine? I'd love to see it!
                  > Also, yes the
                  > Building for Fairbanks Feed is still there. It is
                  > now Adirondack Truck
                  > repair and the building isn't going anywhere...
                  >
                  > Gino

                  Gino,

                  CTC Board Railroad Illustrated is a monthly prototype
                  railroad news magazine. When I was growing up in
                  Ballston Spa, I used to purchase it at Model Railway
                  Station down in Scotia. I'm not sure if Glen still
                  carries it or if you'd have better luck over at Mohawk
                  Valley over on Hamburg Street.

                  Most of the feature does cover the Delaware & Hudson
                  with one picture each of the B&M, NYC/PC, and the
                  FJ&G. It's not often that the FJ&G shows up in print
                  and this is an especially clear, sharp Kodacrhome blue
                  sky pic. IMHO, worth the price of the mag.

                  Speaking of magazines. If any of you have good
                  pictures of the FJ&G, how about contacting Mike
                  Confalone at Railroad Explorer Magazine and submitting
                  them. This is the premier Northeast/New England
                  railroad magazine. Published three times a year, it
                  carries virtually no advertising and focuses on high
                  quality, mostly color photography. Absolutely
                  incredible quality and the FJ&G is deserving of being
                  memorialized in this publication. Check them out at
                  http://www.railroadexplorer.com/

                  Jason Cook
                  Fort Wayne, IN

                  http://photos.yahoo.com/
                • LeeDarshi
                  Message 8 of 24 , Dec 16, 2003
                    Gino,

                    Did I miss something? I went to visit Gino's Railpage at http://www.fjgrr.com and got some "under construction" message.

                  • Jason C
                    Message 9 of 24 , Dec 16, 2003
                      --- paul larner <pklarner@...> wrote:
                      > Then I looked at your address; so much for attending
                      > a meeting. Let me see
                      > what I can put together. Aare you only interested
                      > in the Fairbanks years in
                      > the shop building?
                      >
                      > PKL

                      Paul,

                      I'm mainly interested in seeing some good,
                      unobstructed views of the building in any of it's
                      various forms. It looks like a very interesting
                      structure and makes an interesting alternative to the
                      more traditional wood framed feed mill. I'd also like
                      to see some pictures of it in it's pre-Fairbanks years
                      when it was still in use by the railroad. I will be
                      making a trip over to check out the right of way next
                      time I make it back to New York. At this time, I
                      don't know if that is going to be late January or next
                      summer.

                      Thanks,
                      Jason Cook

                      http://photos.yahoo.com/
                    • Gino & Kelly DiCarlo
                      Message 10 of 24 , Dec 16, 2003
                        Re: [FJGRailroad] Re: FJ&G 21 in January CTC Board and Railroad Explorer Plug
                        Gino,

                        Did I miss something? I went to visit Gino's Railpage at http://www.fjgrr.com and got some "under construction" message.

                        No Uncle Leo, you’re not seeing things.  I woke up this morning to find my web-page
                        Gone!  I just updated her yesterday and will have to see if I did something...

                        Gino
                      • 103424.2304@compuserve.com
                        Message 11 of 24 , Dec 17, 2003
                          --- In FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com, "Rogers Finch"
                          <ka2hsu@e...> wrote:
                          > Could anyone tell me if this is the Jeremy Plant who is the son
                          of Ken and Ginny Plant of Poestenkill? If so, how can I get in
                          touch with him?

                          > Rogers Finch
                          > Peabody MA

                          Rogers,

                          Don't know who his parents are but I have an email address for
                          him:

                          JeremyPlant at msn dot com

                          I haven't a clue if it is still valid.

                          He's done several great books, most of which are still in print, on
                          New England railroads. I've come across some of the NYC at
                          Fonda on the web, but I cannot find the URLs at the moment.

                          Glenn
                          Penacook, NH
                        • Rogers Finch
                          Message 12 of 24 , Dec 17, 2003

                            Sent: 12/17/2003 7:23:38 AM
                            Subject: [FJGRailroad] Re: FJ&G 21 in January CTC Board

                            <ka2hsu@e...> wrote:
                            > Could anyone tell me if this is the Jeremy Plant who is the son
                            of Ken and Ginny Plant of Poestenkill? If so, how can I get in
                            touch with him?

                            > Rogers Finch
                            > Peabody MA

                            Rogers,

                            Don't know who his parents are but I have an email address for
                            him:

                            JeremyPlant at msn dot com

                            I haven't a clue if it is still valid.

                            He's done several great books, most of which are still in print, on
                            New England railroads.  I've come across some of the NYC at
                            Fonda on the web, but I cannot find the URLs at the moment.

                                 Glenn
                            Penacook, NH

                            Visit Pete Seftons Lost Landmark Page
                            http://www.lostlandmarks.org
                            Visit The NERAIL North American Photo Archive at http://naphotos.nerail.org/

                            Yahoo! Groups Links

                          • Rogers Finch
                            Message 13 of 24 , Dec 17, 2003
                              Thanks Glenn. It is such a unique name that I felt that this might well be the same person. Our distinguished rail author is a Professor at Penn State, Harrisburg, so I will try to contact him there.

                              Rogers

                              Sent: 12/17/2003 7:23:38 AM

                              Message 14 of 24 , Jan 18, 2004
                                I can't find that magazine anywhere!!!

                                Message 15 of 24 , Jan 18, 2004
                                  Hmmm I am syiing here bored because the list is quiet........I could
                                  download more FJ&G photos..................hmmmmmmmmm

                                  >From: "Dicarlo, Gino" <Gino.Dicarlo@...>
                                  >To: "'FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com'" <FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com>
                                  >Subject: RE: [FJGRailroad] FJ&G 21 in January CTC Board
                                  >Date: Sun, 18 Jan 2004 15:29:20 -0600
                                  >
                                  >I can't find that magazine anywhere!!!
                                  >
                                  >Gino

                                • Walt Danylak
                                  Message 16 of 24 , Jan 18, 2004
                                    <Gino.Dicarlo@q...> wrote:
                                    I can't find that magazine anywhere!!!

                                    Gino,

                                    You can order the magazine on line at:

                                    http://www.ctcboard.com

                                    Walt
                                  • Jason C
                                    Message 17 of 24 , Jan 18, 2004
                                      --- "Dicarlo, Gino" <Gino.Dicarlo@...> wrote:
                                      > I can't find that magazine anywhere!!!
                                      >
                                      > Gino

                                      Most shops probably have already taken it off the
                                      shelf. The February issue is now out. I'll check my
                                      local shop here in Fort Wayne tomorrow and see if they
                                      have any issues left that they haven't sent back to
                                      the publisher. If I can get them, maybe I can arrange
                                      to drop them off someplace on my way through the area
                                      next Saturday and Sunday. Not going to have as long
                                      at home as I originally thought. The wife surprised
                                      me with tickets to Iron Maiden at the Hammerstein in
                                      NYC on my birthday this coming Friday so I will only
                                      be home from around 3:00 pm on Saturday until dinner
                                      time on Sunday and that includes dinner with family
                                      and friends that evening and then watching the Fort
                                      Wayne Komets abuse the Icehawks. Then it's back on
                                      the train to Indiana.

                                      Jason Cook
                                      Fort Wayne, IN

                                    • Gino & Kelly DiCarlo
                                      Message 18 of 24 , Jan 19, 2004
                                        All right, get a little Maiden into you! I asked at the locval shops
                                        and
                                        they told me they don't carry that magazine anymore.

                                        Gino

                                        Visit Gino's Railpage at
                                        http://www.ginosrailpage.com
                                      • Gino & Kelly DiCarlo
                                        Message 19 of 24 , Jan 19, 2004
                                          Thanks Walt. The January issue is not yet listed in their back issues
                                          yet...

                                          Gino

                                          On Jan 18, 2004, at 10:11 PM, Walt Danylak wrote:

                                          > --- In FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com, "Dicarlo, Gino"
                                          > <Gino.Dicarlo@q...> wrote:
                                          > I can't find that magazine anywhere!!!
                                          >
                                          > Gino,
                                          >
                                          > You can order the magazine on line at:
                                          >
                                          > http://www.ctcboard.com
                                          >
                                          > Walt
                                        • Jason C
                                          Message 20 of 24 , Jan 19, 2004
                                            wrote:
                                            > All right, get a little Maiden into you! I asked at
                                            > the locval shops
                                            > and
                                            > they told me they don't carry that magazine anymore.
                                            >
                                            > Gino

                                            I checked with my shop and they still have at least
                                            one copy left (maybe more). Let me know if you want
                                            me to drop it off on my way through Saratoga. It's a
                                            shame that they don't carry CTC Board anymore. I used
                                            to buy it at the shop down in Scotia. It's in no way
                                            a replacement for Trains if you like the coverage of
                                            actual news features that Trains does but it's full
                                            title is CTC Board Railroads Illustrated. Usually a
                                            full third to half of the magazine is photo essays.
                                            Great change from the 3/4 roster shot. They also do
                                            lots of seasonal features. I really enjoy the winter
                                            and fall features.

                                            Jason

                                          • LeeDarshi
                                            Message 21 of 24 , Jan 20, 2004
                                              I went to the magazine website. It showed a picture of a New Haven, Hartford Railroad engines pulling passenger cars. Is that railroad still alive?

                                              Uncle Leo
                                            • Gino & Kelly DiCarlo
                                              Message 22 of 24 , Jan 20, 2004
                                                Thanks for the offer Jason. I'll just wait for the issue to be included
                                                on the Back Issue page of the website!

                                                Gino

                                                On Jan 19, 2004, at 1:55 PM, Jason C wrote:

                                                > I checked with my shop and they still have at least
                                                > one copy left (maybe more). Let me know if you want
                                                > me to drop it off on my way through Saratoga. It's a
                                                > shame that they don't carry CTC Board anymore. I used
                                                > to buy it at the shop down in Scotia. It's in no way
                                                > a replacement for Trains if you like the coverage of
                                                > actual news features that Trains does but it's full
                                                > title is CTC Board Railroads Illustrated. Usually a
                                                > full third to half of the magazine is photo essays.
                                                > Great change from the 3/4 roster shot. They also do
                                                > lots of seasonal features. I really enjoy the winter
                                                > and fall features.
                                                >
                                                > Jason
                                              • Walt Danylak
                                                Message 23 of 24 , Jan 21, 2004
                                                  --- In FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com, Gino & Kelly DiCarlo
                                                  <dicarlos@l...> wrote:
                                                  Thanks for the offer Jason. I'll just wait for the issue to be
                                                  included on the Back Issue page of the website!

                                                  Gino

                                                  Gino,

                                                  The issue in now on the website. I just ordered a copy over the
                                                  phone: 1-800-810-7660.

                                                  Walt
                                                  Message 24 of 24 , Jan 22, 2004
                                                    Thanks Walt!