Re: [FJGRailroad] Re: Johnstown freight house

    Message 1 of 13 , Dec 12, 2003
      I agree Joe. Either that or the remains of the former passenger station;
      that structure still exists on West State Street.

      PKL

      >From: "joseph Klapkowski" <riverlinejoe@...>
      >To: FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com
      >Subject: Re: [FJGRailroad] Re: Johnstown freight house
      >Date: Fri, 12 Dec 2003 19:28:41 +0000
      >
      >Gino,
      >Where the heck is the Johnstown Station?
      >
      >I am going to take a wild guess here that the building being referred to is
      >the old Ashland Chemical Building
      >
      >Joe
      >

      > >From: Gino & Kelly DiCarlo <dicarlos@...>
      > >To: FJG Railroad <FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com>
      > >Subject: Re: [FJGRailroad] Re: Johnstown freight house
      > >Date: Fri, 12 Dec 2003 13:39:58 -0500

      >standing.
      >Anyone

      > >Charles,
      > >
      > >The Johnstown freight house burned on 6/28/76. The Johnstown station,
      > >which
      > >was located in front of her IS still standing. Let me add this, the
      >first
      > >floor of the Johnstown station is standing. I'm not sure when the second
      > >floor of the station was removed and why. Wow Charles, long time no
      >hear,
      > >Good to hear from you.
      > >
      > >By the way, send us the picture so we can figure it out...
      > >
      > >Gino

      >Get holiday tips for festive fun.
      >http://special.msn.com/network/happyholidays.armx

      Get holiday tips for festive fun.
    • Gino & Kelly DiCarlo
      Message 2 of 13 , Dec 12, 2003
        > Gino,
        > Where the heck is the Johnstown Station?
        >
        > I am going to take a wild guess here that the building being referred to is
        > the old Ashland Chemical Building
        >
        > Joe

        Joe,

        In your Rails Northeast article, you have a shot of an S2 crossing State
        Street in Johnstown, right next to the Johnstown Station. I cannot think of
        what business was there in the past and what it is today. I'm thinking that
        Charles has a picture of the former Ashland chemical building on Perry
        Street in Johnstown. That building is still there, but it was never an FJG
        property...

        Message 3 of 13 , Dec 15, 2003
          Help me out a little bit here. West State is that Route 29? Which building?

          >From: "paul larner" <pklarner@...>
          >To: FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com
          >Subject: Re: [FJGRailroad] Re: Johnstown freight house
          >Date: Fri, 12 Dec 2003 18:33:54 -0500
          >
          >I agree Joe. Either that or the remains of the former passenger station;
          >that structure still exists on West State Street.
          >
          >PKL
          >

          > >From: "joseph Klapkowski" <riverlinejoe@...>
          > >To: FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com
          > >Subject: Re: [FJGRailroad] Re: Johnstown freight house
          > >Date: Fri, 12 Dec 2003 19:28:41 +0000
          > >
          > >Gino,
          > >Where the heck is the Johnstown Station?
          > >
          > >I am going to take a wild guess here that the building being referred to
          >is
          > >the old Ashland Chemical Building
          > >
          > >Joe
          > >

          > > >From: Gino & Kelly DiCarlo <dicarlos@...>
          > > >To: FJG Railroad <FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com>
          > > >Subject: Re: [FJGRailroad] Re: Johnstown freight house
          > > >Date: Fri, 12 Dec 2003 13:39:58 -0500

          > >standing.
          > >Anyone

          > > >Charles,
          > > >
          > > >The Johnstown freight house burned on 6/28/76. The Johnstown station,
          > > >which
          > > >was located in front of her IS still standing. Let me add this, the
          > >first
          > > >floor of the Johnstown station is standing. I'm not sure when the
          >second
          > > >floor of the station was removed and why. Wow Charles, long time no
          > >hear,
          > > >Good to hear from you.
          > > >
          > > >By the way, send us the picture so we can figure it out...
          > > >
          > > >Gino

          > >Get holiday tips for festive fun.
          > >http://special.msn.com/network/happyholidays.armx

          >Get holiday tips for festive fun.
          >http://special.msn.com/network/happyholidays.armx

          Our best dial-up offer is back. Get MSN Dial-up Internet Service for 6
          months @ $9.95/month now! http://join.msn.com/?page=dept/dialup
        • Gino & Kelly DiCarlo
          Message 4 of 13 , Dec 15, 2003
            > Help me out a little bit here. West State is that Route 29? Which building?

            Joe,

            Yes, State Street is Route 29. If you remember the tracks crossing the
            street, on one side would have been the American Hotel (Later day Captains
            Pub) and the other side the station. I think the building is still called
            Arrow Leather. I don't think the links are there anymore, but here is Aaron
            Keller's email about the former Johnstown Station from 2000...

            From: "Aaron Keller" <aakeller@...>

            To all members:

            I posted five pictures to the OneList site of how the Johnstown station
            looks today. I attempted to get every decent angle without trespassing.
            The pictures are in the "Johnstown_TODAY" folder.

            As you will note, the building is more or less all there, in perimeter.
            There have been no major additions or sections torn off from the ground
            level. The only major exterior alterations are:

            (1) The building is less its attic and second story. Apparently this was
            cut off some time ago.

            (2) The original windows and doors are gone. Most are covered over and some
            have been replaced.

            (3) A leather dust hopper is now on the northwest corner of the building.

            I was told by the owner of Arrow Leather, owner of the building, that the
            interior has been gutted and no substantial original stuff remains inside.

            -Aaron
          • yahoo@existingstations.com
            Message 5 of 13 , Dec 16, 2003
              I'll try to get the photo scanned in by the weekend and put up so it
              can be accessed. Hopefully we can figure this out. There is also
              another FG&J station photo. I'm at work and don't remember the town
              but it is not on my Existing Stations list. I'll scan that in too.

              Charles

              --- In FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com, Gino & Kelly DiCarlo

              Message 6 of 13 , Dec 19, 2003
                Charles,

                Is the existing station page still up? I took it off of our links because
                I thought it was gone. She is a great site. Can you get me the link?

                Message 7 of 13 , Dec 19, 2003
                  Gino I do not understand what happened to your page?

                  Get dial-up Internet access now with our best offer: 6 months @$9.95/month!
                  http://join.msn.com/?page=dept/dialup