RE: [FJGRailroad] FJ&G Photos

    Message 1 of 26 , Nov 23, 2003
      Perhaps new wheels or traction motors. I remember a story of one of the
      locomotives being sent out for repair but had to be set off a Yosts. Seems
      they were necessarily geared for 35 mph; not a problem on the FJ&G with its
      low maximum permissible speed and steep grade. NYC though tried to haul it
      a bit faster. This could be the time. Probably mid to late fifties. One
      of them was sent out in the early 60's but I can't recall where. Somewhere
      I have photos of it being hauled back into Gloversville as part of the
      regular train. This may have been a repair necessary after the derailment
      behind the M&K Market in the early sixties. The 20 was never the same after
      this; I think the frame suffered some misalignment that couldn't be repaired
      economically, but didn't render the locomotive useless under its
      circumstances.

      PKL

      >From: "Dicarlo, Gino" <Gino.Dicarlo@...>
      >To: "'FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com'" <FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com>
      >Subject: RE: [FJGRailroad] FJ&G Photos
      >Date: Sun, 23 Nov 2003 10:36:00 -0600
      >
      >Didn't they send out the S2s to have new flanges?
      >
      >Gino

      Share holiday photos without swamping your Inbox. Get MSN Extra Storage
      now! http://join.msn.com/?PAGE=features/es
      Message 2 of 26 , Nov 23, 2003
        Well by the time that I was able to get to the FJ&G to ask questions, The 21
        had departed the property and I distinctly remember being told that the 21
        had simply worn out......

        >From: "paul larner" <pklarner@...>
        >To: FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com
        >Subject: RE: [FJGRailroad] FJ&G Photos
        >Date: Sun, 23 Nov 2003 20:21:07 -0500
        >
        >Perhaps new wheels or traction motors. I remember a story of one of the
        >locomotives being sent out for repair but had to be set off a Yosts. Seems
        >they were necessarily geared for 35 mph; not a problem on the FJ&G with its
        >low maximum permissible speed and steep grade. NYC though tried to haul it
        >a bit faster. This could be the time. Probably mid to late fifties. One
        >of them was sent out in the early 60's but I can't recall where. Somewhere
        >I have photos of it being hauled back into Gloversville as part of the
        >regular train. This may have been a repair necessary after the derailment
        >behind the M&K Market in the early sixties. The 20 was never the same
        >after
        >this; I think the frame suffered some misalignment that couldn't be
        >repaired
        >economically, but didn't render the locomotive useless under its
        >circumstances.
        >
        >PKL
        >
        > >From: "Dicarlo, Gino" <Gino.Dicarlo@...>
        > >To: "'FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com'" <FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com>
        > >Subject: RE: [FJGRailroad] FJ&G Photos
        > >Date: Sun, 23 Nov 2003 10:36:00 -0600
        > >
        > >Didn't they send out the S2s to have new flanges?
        > >
        > >Gino

        Is there a gadget-lover on your gift list? MSN Shopping has lined up some
        good bets! http://shopping.msn.com
      • Walt Danylak
        Message 3 of 26 , Nov 24, 2003
          --- In FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com, "joseph Klapkowski"
          <riverlinejoe@h...> wrote:
          I did not know the FJ&G sent thier engine to Colonie. What were the
          circumstances ?

          I don't know for sure why either 20 or 21 was sent to Colonie. The
          1962 Annual Report states that major repairs were done on one of the
          locomotives. The FJ&G had a relationship with the D&H, purchased a
          caboose and flanger from them, so maybe when major work was needed on
          a locomotive, they chose the D&H rather than the NYC. At this point
          in time, D&H's roster was 100% Alco. Why the locomotive wasn't sent
          directly to Alco for repairs, I don't know, unless it was cheaper to
          use the D&H.

          Walt
        • mwilber@webtv.net
          Message 4 of 26 , Nov 25, 2003
            Gino- Another Thankgiving is upon us. Where are you putting your coats
            this year? Mark