Re: [FJGRailroad] FJ&G Photos

    Message 1 of 26 , Nov 23, 2003
      I did not know the FJ&G sent thier engine to Colonie. What were the
      circumstances ?

      >From: "Walt Danylak" <waltdanylak@...>
      >To: FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com
      >Subject: [FJGRailroad] FJ&G Photos
      >Date: Sun, 23 Nov 2003 11:52:04 -0000
      >
      >Speaking of photos, does anyone in the group have the negative of
      >either 20 or 21 at the D&H shops in Colonie? I saw this photo a few
      >years ago, but I don't remember who had it.
      >
      >Walt

      Has one of the new viruses infected your computer? Find out with a FREE
      online computer virus scan from McAfee. Take the FreeScan now!
      Message 2 of 26 , Nov 23, 2003
        Didn't they send out the S2s to have new flanges?

        Message 3 of 26 , Nov 23, 2003
          This is just a curiousity thing, but did ALCO or do EMD and GE for that
          matter, cast thier own wheels or buy them from someone

          >From: "Dicarlo, Gino" <Gino.Dicarlo@...>
          >To: "'FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com'" <FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com>
          >Subject: RE: [FJGRailroad] FJ&G Photos
          >Date: Sun, 23 Nov 2003 10:36:00 -0600
          >
          >Didn't they send out the S2s to have new flanges?
          >
          >Gino

          online games and music with a high-speed Internet connection! Prices start
          at less than $1 a day average. https://broadband.msn.com (Prices may vary
          by service area.)
          Message 4 of 26 , Nov 23, 2003
            Perhaps new wheels or traction motors. I remember a story of one of the
            locomotives being sent out for repair but had to be set off a Yosts. Seems
            they were necessarily geared for 35 mph; not a problem on the FJ&G with its
            low maximum permissible speed and steep grade. NYC though tried to haul it
            a bit faster. This could be the time. Probably mid to late fifties. One
            of them was sent out in the early 60's but I can't recall where. Somewhere
            I have photos of it being hauled back into Gloversville as part of the
            regular train. This may have been a repair necessary after the derailment
            behind the M&K Market in the early sixties. The 20 was never the same after
            this; I think the frame suffered some misalignment that couldn't be repaired
            economically, but didn't render the locomotive useless under its
            circumstances.

            PKL

            >From: "Dicarlo, Gino" <Gino.Dicarlo@...>
            >To: "'FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com'" <FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com>
            >Subject: RE: [FJGRailroad] FJ&G Photos
            >Date: Sun, 23 Nov 2003 10:36:00 -0600
            >
            >Didn't they send out the S2s to have new flanges?
            >
            >Gino

            Share holiday photos without swamping your Inbox. Get MSN Extra Storage
            now! http://join.msn.com/?PAGE=features/es
            Message 5 of 26 , Nov 23, 2003
              Well by the time that I was able to get to the FJ&G to ask questions, The 21
              had departed the property and I distinctly remember being told that the 21
              had simply worn out......

              >From: "paul larner" <pklarner@...>
              >To: FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com
              >Subject: RE: [FJGRailroad] FJ&G Photos
              >Date: Sun, 23 Nov 2003 20:21:07 -0500
              >
              >Perhaps new wheels or traction motors. I remember a story of one of the
              >locomotives being sent out for repair but had to be set off a Yosts. Seems
              >they were necessarily geared for 35 mph; not a problem on the FJ&G with its
              >low maximum permissible speed and steep grade. NYC though tried to haul it
              >a bit faster. This could be the time. Probably mid to late fifties. One
              >of them was sent out in the early 60's but I can't recall where. Somewhere
              >I have photos of it being hauled back into Gloversville as part of the
              >regular train. This may have been a repair necessary after the derailment
              >behind the M&K Market in the early sixties. The 20 was never the same
              >after
              >this; I think the frame suffered some misalignment that couldn't be
              >repaired
              >economically, but didn't render the locomotive useless under its
              >circumstances.
              >
              >PKL
              >
              > >From: "Dicarlo, Gino" <Gino.Dicarlo@...>
              > >To: "'FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com'" <FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com>
              > >Subject: RE: [FJGRailroad] FJ&G Photos
              > >Date: Sun, 23 Nov 2003 10:36:00 -0600
              > >
              > >Didn't they send out the S2s to have new flanges?
              > >
              > >Gino

              Is there a gadget-lover on your gift list? MSN Shopping has lined up some
              good bets! http://shopping.msn.com
            • Walt Danylak
              Message 6 of 26 , Nov 24, 2003
                --- In FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com, "joseph Klapkowski"
                <riverlinejoe@h...> wrote:
                I did not know the FJ&G sent thier engine to Colonie. What were the
                circumstances ?

                I don't know for sure why either 20 or 21 was sent to Colonie. The
                1962 Annual Report states that major repairs were done on one of the
                locomotives. The FJ&G had a relationship with the D&H, purchased a
                caboose and flanger from them, so maybe when major work was needed on
                a locomotive, they chose the D&H rather than the NYC. At this point
                in time, D&H's roster was 100% Alco. Why the locomotive wasn't sent
                directly to Alco for repairs, I don't know, unless it was cheaper to
                use the D&H.

                Walt
              • mwilber@webtv.net
                Message 7 of 26 , Nov 25, 2003
                  Gino- Another Thankgiving is upon us. Where are you putting your coats
                  this year? Mark