Modern Milk by Rail in NY State

  • Gino & Kelly DiCarlo
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 20, 2003
      Modern Milk by Rail in NY State Maybe the old Rutland Corkscrew Division will re-open!!!

      Gino

      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 20, 2003
        We did this for a few years in the early eighties, on the CV using
        intermodal, TOFC. This traffic is very time sensitive and perishable. Yes
        it can be done. You need a central processing point (creamery), rail siding
        and dedicated service to make it feasible. Bulk tanks would be easier than
        TOFC if the creamery were to be located adjacent to the Utica rail station.
        A switcher could tack a car on 286 or 288 on weekends to haul into Penn
        station where it could beswitched to a track then pumped out to a bottler.
        Our traffic went to Hoods near Boston from the St.Albans Coop creamery which
        was located adjacent to our facilities at St. Albans.

        This plan sounds like it was conceived by the same minds who wanted to run
        Amtrak service to Rutland via North Bennington and Manchester but had no
        idea that the service that once existed became impossible when the B&M was
        torn up from the Troy depot out to Johnsonville and the connection through
        Troy on the south end was taken up. What the heck, our money, if it makes
        railroad jobs, I'm for it.

        PKL

        >From: Gino & Kelly DiCarlo <dicarlos@...>
        >To: FJG Railroad <FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com>
        >Subject: [FJGRailroad] Modern Milk by Rail in NY State
        >Date: Thu, 20 Nov 2003 14:52:31 -0500
        >
        >Maybe the old Rutland Corkscrew Division will re-open!!!
        >
        >Gino
        > >
        > > Tue, Nov 18, 2003
        > > LINDA MURPHY
        > > (Utica, NY) Observer-Dispatch
        > >
        > > The Southern Oneida County Economic Development Council is
        > > one step closer to implementing its "Milk by Rail" project.
        > >
        > > If executed, the project would offer a new, less expensive way for
        > > Central New York farmers to ship the milk they produce.
        > >
        > > A $19,000 feasibility study -- funded primarily by the Empire State
        > > Development Corp. -- has been completed by Cornell University
        > > Professor James Pratt. Late last week, Pratt told a group of 50 at
        > > Mohawk Valley
        > > Community College that prospects for the project look good.
        > >
        > > "Yes, it can be done," said Robert Perry, co-chairman of
        > > development council. "It's now a matter of getting funding to set
        > > up the pilot program."
        > >
        > > Although many details were addressed in the study, many
        > > questions remain unanswered, Perry said:
        > >
        > > Who will pay for the pilot program.
        > >
        > > Will a railroad company, a milk producer or some other
        > > business take responsibility for the project.
        > >
        > > Eventually some private company will take responsibility, Perry
        > > has said.
        > >
        > > Council officials hope the pilot program will be funded by the
        > > state Agriculture and Markets department, Perry said.
        > >
        > > "We have several different grant programs designed to assist
        > > farmers and other ag businesses," state agency spokeswoman
        > > Ruth Moore said.
        > >
        > > Shipping milk by rail will help upstate dairy farmers and
        > > distributors with steep transportation costs, Perry said. Trucking
        > > companies are forced to swallow the expense of trucks returning
        > > up the Thruway empty after delivering downstate.
        > >
        > > Local farmers would take their milk to the depot, load it into a
        > > specially-designed, collapsible tank and have it transported by
        > > rail.
        > >
        > > Once emptied, the tank would be cleaned and collapsed,
        > > allowing cargo to be added to the train for the trip back north.

        Is there a gadget-lover on your gift list? MSN Shopping has lined up some
        good bets! http://shopping.msn.com
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 21, 2003
          The thing that I don't understand is that they seem to be saying that a
          collapsable sack will eliminate the backhaul problem. But the sack still has
          to be backhauled presumably on the railcar that is designed to haul it...Oh
          no I see the car gets emptied in NY and then goes on to another load and the
          sack is folded up and put in the cab next to the conductor...........

> [...]
          > > >
          > > > Council officials hope the pilot program will be funded by the
          > > > state Agriculture and Markets department, Perry said.
          > > >
          > > > "We have several different grant programs designed to assist
          > > > farmers and other ag businesses," state agency spokeswoman
          > > > Ruth Moore said.
          > > >
          > > > Shipping milk by rail will help upstate dairy farmers and
          > > > distributors with steep transportation costs, Perry said. Trucking
          > > > companies are forced to swallow the expense of trucks returning
          > > > up the Thruway empty after delivering downstate.
          > > >
          > > > Local farmers would take their milk to the depot, load it into a
          > > > specially-designed, collapsible tank and have it transported by
          > > > rail.
          > > >
          > > > Once emptied, the tank would be cleaned and collapsed,
          > > > allowing cargo to be added to the train for the trip back north.

          >Is there a gadget-lover on your gift list? MSN Shopping has lined up some

          Groove on the latest from the hot new rock groups! Get downloads, videos,
          and more here. http://special.msn.com/entertainment/wiredformusic.armx
        • Gino & Kelly DiCarlo
          Message 4 of 4 , Nov 21, 2003

            > This plan sounds like it was conceived by the same minds who wanted to run
            > Amtrak service to Rutland via North Bennington and Manchester but had no
            > idea that the service that once existed became impossible when the B&M was
            > torn up from the Troy depot out to Johnsonville and the connection through
            > Troy on the south end was taken up. What the heck, our money, if it makes
            > railroad jobs, I'm for it.
            >
            > PKL

            Hey, I'm all for rebuilding the B & M Troy Branch. Put in the old R & S
            while they're at it!