Re: [FJGRailroad] Hellllo out therrrrrrreeeee

    Message 1 of 15 , Oct 6, 2003
      I can tell you that the plow which remained in B&M colors for a considerable
      time, was moved to Utica under this FRA rule 99, equipment moving on its own
      wheels to be scrapped, only it did not get scrapped. My recollection is that
      there was a lot of equipment (mainly boxcars) that moved to Utica with this
      stencile.

      What happened to the equipment that remaioned on line ? I thought it was
      scrapped like the Reefer out at Coleco but have never seen any photos of
      the equipment actually being scrapped. By the way do any of you have any
      idea how that mechanical reffedr came to be out at Coleco in the first
      place? I also remember the plow being stored out there and there was quite a
      behive suspended from its ceiling.

      >From: "Dicarlo, Gino" <Gino.Dicarlo@...>
      >To: "FJGrailroad (E-mail)" <FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com>
      >Subject: [FJGRailroad] Hellllo out therrrrrrreeeee
      >Date: Mon, 6 Oct 2003 06:24:02 -0500
      >
      >Hi everyone!
      >
      >Long time no hear!!! We've got a lot of new members and I want to
      >personally
      >welcome them to the group! Hope we'll get some personal introductions!
      >Don't
      >be shy. One of our new members, Dean Splittgerber has two of his photos in
      >the September issue of RAILPACE. You'll find them in the "Empire State
      >Limited"
      >section. He's got a shot of the little center-cab engine at Cushing Stone
      >and a
      >shot of a burned out Metro-North engine at Super Steel in Scotia. Check it
      >out!
      >
      >On to FJG news...
      >
      >I was railfanning around Utica yesterday and decided to visit the NYSW
      >shops.
      >Lo and behold, there's the FJG/DO ex B&M 202 snow plow sitting in the yard.
      >It has been moved from here previous location of 15 years. Can anyone tell
      >us what her fate is? Is she finally destined for the great-flanger in the
      >sky?
      >Wow, I drove all over those yards yesterday. Trespassing up a storm! Hey
      >Mark, don't they work there on Sundays?
      >
      >Gino
      >Group Moderator
      >

      >Gino DiCarlo
      >Imaging
      >
      >Quad/Imaging
      >A Division of Quad/Graphics
      >
      >Saratoga Springs, New York
      >
      >518-581-4276 phone
      >gino.dicarlo@...
      >www.QG.com

      Get MSN 8 Dial-up Internet Service FREE for one month. Limited time offer--
      sign up now! http://join.msn.com/?page=dept/dialup
      Message 2 of 15 , Oct 6, 2003
        Joe,

        Whatever equipment could make the move, it did. Most by trackmobile
        to Fonda and then to Utica. I remember going to Utica shopping back
        in 1985 and there was a yard full of the Blue DO boxcars. Of course
        the last of the equipment was moved in late 1988. This is when the
        snow plow went out. The NYSW had the plow on her active roster for
        quite some time, but I don't know it's current status. In case you
        don't know, someone set her on fire sometime last year. The shell is
        still intact, but the wooden parts are a mess. I will post a current
        picture of her when I get my slides back...

        I can tell you that the plow which remained in B&M colors for a considerable

        time, was moved to Utica under this FRA rule 99, equipment moving on its own

        wheels to be scrapped, only it did not get scrapped. My recollection is that

        there was a lot of equipment (mainly boxcars) that moved to Utica with this
        stencile.

        What happened to the equipment that remaioned on line ? I thought it was
        scrapped like the Reefer out at Coleco but have never seen any photos of
        the equipment actually being scrapped. By the way do any of you have any
        idea how that mechanical reffedr came to be out at Coleco in the first
        place? I also remember the plow being stored out there and there was quite a

        behive suspended from its ceiling.

        >From: "Dicarlo, Gino" <Gino.Dicarlo@...>
        >To: "FJGrailroad (E-mail)" <FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com>
        >Subject: [FJGRailroad] Hellllo out therrrrrrreeeee
        >Date: Mon, 6 Oct 2003 06:24:02 -0500
        >
        >Hi everyone!
        >
        >Long time no hear!!! We've got a lot of new members and I want to
        >personally
        >welcome them to the group! Hope we'll get some personal introductions!
        >Don't
        >be shy. One of our new members, Dean Splittgerber has two of his photos in
        >the September issue of RAILPACE. You'll find them in the "Empire State
        >Limited"
        >section. He's got a shot of the little center-cab engine at Cushing Stone
        >and a
        >shot of a burned out Metro-North engine at Super Steel in Scotia. Check it
        >out!
        >
        >On to FJG news...
        >
        >I was railfanning around Utica yesterday and decided to visit the NYSW
        >shops.
        >Lo and behold, there's the FJG/DO ex B&M 202 snow plow sitting in the yard.
        >It has been moved from here previous location of 15 years. Can anyone tell
        >us what her fate is? Is she finally destined for the great-flanger in the
        >sky?
        >Wow, I drove all over those yards yesterday. Trespassing up a storm! Hey
        >Mark, don't they work there on Sundays?
        >
        >Gino
        >Group Moderator
        >

        >Gino DiCarlo
        >Imaging
        >
        >Quad/Imaging
        >A Division of Quad/Graphics
        >
        >Saratoga Springs, New York
        >
        >518-581-4276 phone
        >gino.dicarlo@...
        >www.QG.com

        Get MSN 8 Dial-up Internet Service FREE for one month. Limited time offer--

        sign up now! http://join.msn.com/?page=dept/dialup

        http://gcdranet.homelinux.com/
        Visit Pete Seftons Lost Landmark Page
        http://www.lostlandmarks.org

      • peter sefton
        Message 3 of 15 , Oct 6, 2003
          Gino, did you see that great tower by Snydecker & Schuyler near the
          Utica Club brewery?

[...]

          Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
          http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
          Message 4 of 15 , Oct 6, 2003
            Oh yeah Pete! I've photographed that area in the past!
            I just love Schuyler Street which is a street-running
            railroad! I'd love to catch a train going p the street,
            but I never make it there on weekdays!

            Message 5 of 15 , Oct 6, 2003
              Gino-Usually there are no jobs out of Utica on sundays. Binghamton is
              where the action is on sundays.Also in Syracuse we get cars in at
              DeWitt.Anytime you or anyone wants a tour of our line,let me know. Mark
            • mwilber@webtv.net
              Message 6 of 15 , Oct 6, 2003
                Does anyone knows if the Rule 99 doesnt apply to any equipment over 40
                years old?
                Mark
              • mwilber@webtv.net
                Message 7 of 15 , Oct 6, 2003
                  Gino - Isnt that the snow plow that was torched off last year by some
                  kids? Mark
                • mwilber@webtv.net
                  Message 8 of 15 , Oct 6, 2003
                    Its really fun coming down the street in the winter with snow banks on
                    each side and automobiles parked on the tracks. Gino,did you also find
                    the switch stand for Matts Brewery? Its under the street.Mark
                    Message 9 of 15 , Oct 7, 2003
                      Yes Mark, that's the same one! It used to be by the Route 12
                      bridge, but now it is in the yard. As a matter of fact, right
                      behind an LASB boxcar...

                      Message 10 of 15 , Oct 7, 2003
                        Do you push the cars out of the way with the engine?

                        Message 11 of 15 , Oct 7, 2003
                          We would like to but we cant.As long as the locomtives clear thats all
                          we are concern.If we cant get by a car we usually call the city police
                          to handle it.MARK
                          Message 12 of 15 , Oct 9, 2003
                            Is this 99 in the AAR Mechanical Rules governing car repairs and inspection?

                            PKL

                            >From: mwilber@...
                            >To: FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com
                            >Subject: Re: [FJGRailroad] Hellllo out therrrrrrreeeee
                            >Date: Mon, 6 Oct 2003 19:41:22 -0400 (EDT)
                            >
                            >Does anyone knows if the Rule 99 doesnt apply to any equipment over 40
                            >years old?
                            > Mark

                            Get a FREE computer virus scan online from McAfee.