Re: [FJGRailroad] Hellllo out therrrrrrreeeee

  • Dick Ryall
    Message 1 of 15 , Oct 6, 2003
      Your lucky Gino, my soneinlaw and I were in the UP yard at Ogden Utah,
      and met a fellow who had a badge and wanted to know what the hell we
      were doing there he then checked our ID and told us to leave now,we
      did.

      Message 2 of 15 , Oct 6, 2003
        I had that happen to me in CPRail's Saratoga Yard. I told him
        I just wanted to take a picture, not blow anything up! He still
        told me to get lost! I had my son's with me yesterday and I figured
        they weren't going to arrest all three of us! Gee, does the NYSW
        have bulls?

        Message 3 of 15 , Oct 6, 2003
          I can tell you that the plow which remained in B&M colors for a considerable
          time, was moved to Utica under this FRA rule 99, equipment moving on its own
          wheels to be scrapped, only it did not get scrapped. My recollection is that
          there was a lot of equipment (mainly boxcars) that moved to Utica with this
          stencile.

          What happened to the equipment that remaioned on line ? I thought it was
          scrapped like the Reefer out at Coleco but have never seen any photos of
          the equipment actually being scrapped. By the way do any of you have any
          idea how that mechanical reffedr came to be out at Coleco in the first
          place? I also remember the plow being stored out there and there was quite a
          behive suspended from its ceiling.

          >From: "Dicarlo, Gino" <Gino.Dicarlo@...>
          >To: "FJGrailroad (E-mail)" <FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com>
          >Subject: [FJGRailroad] Hellllo out therrrrrrreeeee
          >Date: Mon, 6 Oct 2003 06:24:02 -0500
          >
          >Hi everyone!
          >
          >Long time no hear!!! We've got a lot of new members and I want to
          >personally
          >welcome them to the group! Hope we'll get some personal introductions!
          >Don't
          >be shy. One of our new members, Dean Splittgerber has two of his photos in
          >the September issue of RAILPACE. You'll find them in the "Empire State
          >Limited"
          >section. He's got a shot of the little center-cab engine at Cushing Stone
          >and a
          >shot of a burned out Metro-North engine at Super Steel in Scotia. Check it
          >out!
          >
          >On to FJG news...
          >
          >I was railfanning around Utica yesterday and decided to visit the NYSW
          >shops.
          >Lo and behold, there's the FJG/DO ex B&M 202 snow plow sitting in the yard.
          >It has been moved from here previous location of 15 years. Can anyone tell
          >us what her fate is? Is she finally destined for the great-flanger in the
          >sky?
          >Wow, I drove all over those yards yesterday. Trespassing up a storm! Hey
          >Mark, don't they work there on Sundays?
          >
          >Gino
          >Group Moderator
          >

          >Gino DiCarlo
          >Imaging
          >
          >Quad/Imaging
          >A Division of Quad/Graphics
          >
          >Saratoga Springs, New York
          >
          >518-581-4276 phone
          >gino.dicarlo@...
          >www.QG.com

          Get MSN 8 Dial-up Internet Service FREE for one month. Limited time offer--
          sign up now! http://join.msn.com/?page=dept/dialup
          Message 4 of 15 , Oct 6, 2003
            Joe,

            Whatever equipment could make the move, it did. Most by trackmobile
            to Fonda and then to Utica. I remember going to Utica shopping back
            in 1985 and there was a yard full of the Blue DO boxcars. Of course
            the last of the equipment was moved in late 1988. This is when the
            snow plow went out. The NYSW had the plow on her active roster for
            quite some time, but I don't know it's current status. In case you
            don't know, someone set her on fire sometime last year. The shell is
            still intact, but the wooden parts are a mess. I will post a current
            picture of her when I get my slides back...

            I can tell you that the plow which remained in B&M colors for a considerable

            time, was moved to Utica under this FRA rule 99, equipment moving on its own

            wheels to be scrapped, only it did not get scrapped. My recollection is that

            there was a lot of equipment (mainly boxcars) that moved to Utica with this
            stencile.

            What happened to the equipment that remaioned on line ? I thought it was
            scrapped like the Reefer out at Coleco but have never seen any photos of
            the equipment actually being scrapped. By the way do any of you have any
            idea how that mechanical reffedr came to be out at Coleco in the first
            place? I also remember the plow being stored out there and there was quite a

            behive suspended from its ceiling.

            >From: "Dicarlo, Gino" <Gino.Dicarlo@...>
            >To: "FJGrailroad (E-mail)" <FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com>
            >Subject: [FJGRailroad] Hellllo out therrrrrrreeeee
            >Date: Mon, 6 Oct 2003 06:24:02 -0500
            >
            >Hi everyone!
            >
            >Long time no hear!!! We've got a lot of new members and I want to
            >personally
            >welcome them to the group! Hope we'll get some personal introductions!
            >Don't
            >be shy. One of our new members, Dean Splittgerber has two of his photos in
            >the September issue of RAILPACE. You'll find them in the "Empire State
            >Limited"
            >section. He's got a shot of the little center-cab engine at Cushing Stone
            >and a
            >shot of a burned out Metro-North engine at Super Steel in Scotia. Check it
            >out!
            >
            >On to FJG news...
            >
            >I was railfanning around Utica yesterday and decided to visit the NYSW
            >shops.
            >Lo and behold, there's the FJG/DO ex B&M 202 snow plow sitting in the yard.
            >It has been moved from here previous location of 15 years. Can anyone tell
            >us what her fate is? Is she finally destined for the great-flanger in the
            >sky?
            >Wow, I drove all over those yards yesterday. Trespassing up a storm! Hey
            >Mark, don't they work there on Sundays?
            >
            >Gino
            >Group Moderator
            >

            >Gino DiCarlo
            >Imaging
            >
            >Quad/Imaging
            >A Division of Quad/Graphics
            >
            >Saratoga Springs, New York
            >
            >518-581-4276 phone
            >gino.dicarlo@...
            >www.QG.com

            Get MSN 8 Dial-up Internet Service FREE for one month. Limited time offer--

            sign up now! http://join.msn.com/?page=dept/dialup

            http://gcdranet.homelinux.com/
            Visit Pete Seftons Lost Landmark Page
            http://www.lostlandmarks.org

          • peter sefton
            Message 5 of 15 , Oct 6, 2003
              Gino, did you see that great tower by Snydecker & Schuyler near the
              Utica Club brewery?

[...]

              Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
              http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
              Message 6 of 15 , Oct 6, 2003
                Oh yeah Pete! I've photographed that area in the past!
                I just love Schuyler Street which is a street-running
                railroad! I'd love to catch a train going p the street,
                but I never make it there on weekdays!

                Message 7 of 15 , Oct 6, 2003
                  Gino-Usually there are no jobs out of Utica on sundays. Binghamton is
                  where the action is on sundays.Also in Syracuse we get cars in at
                  DeWitt.Anytime you or anyone wants a tour of our line,let me know. Mark
                • mwilber@webtv.net
                  Message 8 of 15 , Oct 6, 2003
                    Does anyone knows if the Rule 99 doesnt apply to any equipment over 40
                    years old?
                    Mark
                  • mwilber@webtv.net
                    Message 9 of 15 , Oct 6, 2003
                      Gino - Isnt that the snow plow that was torched off last year by some
                      kids? Mark
                    • mwilber@webtv.net
                      Message 10 of 15 , Oct 6, 2003
                        Its really fun coming down the street in the winter with snow banks on
                        each side and automobiles parked on the tracks. Gino,did you also find
                        the switch stand for Matts Brewery? Its under the street.Mark
                        Message 11 of 15 , Oct 7, 2003
                          Yes Mark, that's the same one! It used to be by the Route 12
                          bridge, but now it is in the yard. As a matter of fact, right
                          behind an LASB boxcar...

                          Message 12 of 15 , Oct 7, 2003
                            Do you push the cars out of the way with the engine?

                            Message 13 of 15 , Oct 7, 2003
                              We would like to but we cant.As long as the locomtives clear thats all
                              we are concern.If we cant get by a car we usually call the city police
                              to handle it.MARK
                              Message 14 of 15 , Oct 9, 2003
                                Is this 99 in the AAR Mechanical Rules governing car repairs and inspection?

                                PKL

                                >From: mwilber@...
                                >To: FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com
                                >Subject: Re: [FJGRailroad] Hellllo out therrrrrrreeeee
                                >Date: Mon, 6 Oct 2003 19:41:22 -0400 (EDT)
                                >
                                >Does anyone knows if the Rule 99 doesnt apply to any equipment over 40
                                >years old?
                                > Mark

                                Get a FREE computer virus scan online from McAfee.