Hellllo out therrrrrrreeeee

    Message 1 of 15 , Oct 6, 2003
      Hi everyone!

      Long time no hear!!! We've got a lot of new members and I want to
      personally
      welcome them to the group! Hope we'll get some personal introductions!
      Don't
      be shy. One of our new members, Dean Splittgerber has two of his photos in
      the September issue of RAILPACE. You'll find them in the "Empire State
      Limited"
      section. He's got a shot of the little center-cab engine at Cushing Stone
      and a
      shot of a burned out Metro-North engine at Super Steel in Scotia. Check it
      out!

      On to FJG news...

      I was railfanning around Utica yesterday and decided to visit the NYSW
      shops.
      Lo and behold, there's the FJG/DO ex B&M 202 snow plow sitting in the yard.
      It has been moved from here previous location of 15 years. Can anyone tell
      us what her fate is? Is she finally destined for the great-flanger in the
      sky?
      Wow, I drove all over those yards yesterday. Trespassing up a storm! Hey
      Mark, don't they work there on Sundays?

      Gino
      Group Moderator

      Gino DiCarlo
      Imaging

      Quad/Imaging
      A Division of Quad/Graphics

      Saratoga Springs, New York

      518-581-4276 phone
      gino.dicarlo@...
      www.QG.com
    • Dick Ryall
      Message 2 of 15 , Oct 6, 2003
        Your lucky Gino, my soneinlaw and I were in the UP yard at Ogden Utah,
        and met a fellow who had a badge and wanted to know what the hell we
        were doing there he then checked our ID and told us to leave now,we
        did.

        Message 3 of 15 , Oct 6, 2003
          I had that happen to me in CPRail's Saratoga Yard. I told him
          I just wanted to take a picture, not blow anything up! He still
          told me to get lost! I had my son's with me yesterday and I figured
          they weren't going to arrest all three of us! Gee, does the NYSW
          have bulls?

          Message 4 of 15 , Oct 6, 2003
            I can tell you that the plow which remained in B&M colors for a considerable
            time, was moved to Utica under this FRA rule 99, equipment moving on its own
            wheels to be scrapped, only it did not get scrapped. My recollection is that
            there was a lot of equipment (mainly boxcars) that moved to Utica with this
            stencile.

            What happened to the equipment that remaioned on line ? I thought it was
            scrapped like the Reefer out at Coleco but have never seen any photos of
            the equipment actually being scrapped. By the way do any of you have any
            idea how that mechanical reffedr came to be out at Coleco in the first
            place? I also remember the plow being stored out there and there was quite a
            behive suspended from its ceiling.

            >From: "Dicarlo, Gino" <Gino.Dicarlo@...>
            >To: "FJGrailroad (E-mail)" <FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com>
            >Subject: [FJGRailroad] Hellllo out therrrrrrreeeee
            >Date: Mon, 6 Oct 2003 06:24:02 -0500
            >
            >Hi everyone!
            >
            >Long time no hear!!! We've got a lot of new members and I want to
            >personally
            >welcome them to the group! Hope we'll get some personal introductions!
            >Don't
            >be shy. One of our new members, Dean Splittgerber has two of his photos in
            >the September issue of RAILPACE. You'll find them in the "Empire State
            >Limited"
            >section. He's got a shot of the little center-cab engine at Cushing Stone
            >and a
            >shot of a burned out Metro-North engine at Super Steel in Scotia. Check it
            >out!
            >
            >On to FJG news...
            >
            >I was railfanning around Utica yesterday and decided to visit the NYSW
            >shops.
            >Lo and behold, there's the FJG/DO ex B&M 202 snow plow sitting in the yard.
            >It has been moved from here previous location of 15 years. Can anyone tell
            >us what her fate is? Is she finally destined for the great-flanger in the
            >sky?
            >Wow, I drove all over those yards yesterday. Trespassing up a storm! Hey
            >Mark, don't they work there on Sundays?
            >
            >Gino
            >Group Moderator
            >

            >Gino DiCarlo
            >Imaging
            >
            >Quad/Imaging
            >A Division of Quad/Graphics
            >
            >Saratoga Springs, New York
            >
            >518-581-4276 phone
            >gino.dicarlo@...
            >www.QG.com

            Get MSN 8 Dial-up Internet Service FREE for one month. Limited time offer--
            sign up now! http://join.msn.com/?page=dept/dialup
            Message 5 of 15 , Oct 6, 2003
              Joe,

              Whatever equipment could make the move, it did. Most by trackmobile
              to Fonda and then to Utica. I remember going to Utica shopping back
              in 1985 and there was a yard full of the Blue DO boxcars. Of course
              the last of the equipment was moved in late 1988. This is when the
              snow plow went out. The NYSW had the plow on her active roster for
              quite some time, but I don't know it's current status. In case you
              don't know, someone set her on fire sometime last year. The shell is
              still intact, but the wooden parts are a mess. I will post a current
              picture of her when I get my slides back...

              I can tell you that the plow which remained in B&M colors for a considerable

              time, was moved to Utica under this FRA rule 99, equipment moving on its own

              wheels to be scrapped, only it did not get scrapped. My recollection is that

              there was a lot of equipment (mainly boxcars) that moved to Utica with this
              stencile.

              What happened to the equipment that remaioned on line ? I thought it was
              scrapped like the Reefer out at Coleco but have never seen any photos of
              the equipment actually being scrapped. By the way do any of you have any
              idea how that mechanical reffedr came to be out at Coleco in the first
              place? I also remember the plow being stored out there and there was quite a

              behive suspended from its ceiling.

              >From: "Dicarlo, Gino" <Gino.Dicarlo@...>
              >To: "FJGrailroad (E-mail)" <FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com>
              >Subject: [FJGRailroad] Hellllo out therrrrrrreeeee
              >Date: Mon, 6 Oct 2003 06:24:02 -0500
              >
              >Hi everyone!
              >
              >Long time no hear!!! We've got a lot of new members and I want to
              >personally
              >welcome them to the group! Hope we'll get some personal introductions!
              >Don't
              >be shy. One of our new members, Dean Splittgerber has two of his photos in
              >the September issue of RAILPACE. You'll find them in the "Empire State
              >Limited"
              >section. He's got a shot of the little center-cab engine at Cushing Stone
              >and a
              >shot of a burned out Metro-North engine at Super Steel in Scotia. Check it
              >out!
              >
              >On to FJG news...
              >
              >I was railfanning around Utica yesterday and decided to visit the NYSW
              >shops.
              >Lo and behold, there's the FJG/DO ex B&M 202 snow plow sitting in the yard.
              >It has been moved from here previous location of 15 years. Can anyone tell
              >us what her fate is? Is she finally destined for the great-flanger in the
              >sky?
              >Wow, I drove all over those yards yesterday. Trespassing up a storm! Hey
              >Mark, don't they work there on Sundays?
              >
              >Gino
              >Group Moderator
              >

              >Gino DiCarlo
              >Imaging
              >
              >Quad/Imaging
              >A Division of Quad/Graphics
              >
              >Saratoga Springs, New York
              >
              >518-581-4276 phone
              >gino.dicarlo@...
              >www.QG.com

              Get MSN 8 Dial-up Internet Service FREE for one month. Limited time offer--

              sign up now! http://join.msn.com/?page=dept/dialup

              http://gcdranet.homelinux.com/
              Visit Pete Seftons Lost Landmark Page
              http://www.lostlandmarks.org

            • peter sefton
              Message 6 of 15 , Oct 6, 2003
                Gino, did you see that great tower by Snydecker & Schuyler near the
                Utica Club brewery?

[...]

                Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
                http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
                Message 7 of 15 , Oct 6, 2003
                  Oh yeah Pete! I've photographed that area in the past!
                  I just love Schuyler Street which is a street-running
                  railroad! I'd love to catch a train going p the street,
                  but I never make it there on weekdays!

                  Message 8 of 15 , Oct 6, 2003
                    Gino-Usually there are no jobs out of Utica on sundays. Binghamton is
                    where the action is on sundays.Also in Syracuse we get cars in at
                    DeWitt.Anytime you or anyone wants a tour of our line,let me know. Mark
                  • mwilber@webtv.net
                    Message 9 of 15 , Oct 6, 2003
                      Does anyone knows if the Rule 99 doesnt apply to any equipment over 40
                      years old?
                      Mark
                    • mwilber@webtv.net
                      Message 10 of 15 , Oct 6, 2003
                        Gino - Isnt that the snow plow that was torched off last year by some
                        kids? Mark
                      • mwilber@webtv.net
                        Message 11 of 15 , Oct 6, 2003
                          Its really fun coming down the street in the winter with snow banks on
                          each side and automobiles parked on the tracks. Gino,did you also find
                          the switch stand for Matts Brewery? Its under the street.Mark
                          Message 12 of 15 , Oct 7, 2003
                            Yes Mark, that's the same one! It used to be by the Route 12
                            bridge, but now it is in the yard. As a matter of fact, right
                            behind an LASB boxcar...

                            Message 13 of 15 , Oct 7, 2003
                              Do you push the cars out of the way with the engine?

                              Message 14 of 15 , Oct 7, 2003
                                We would like to but we cant.As long as the locomtives clear thats all
                                we are concern.If we cant get by a car we usually call the city police
                                to handle it.MARK
                                Message 15 of 15 , Oct 9, 2003
                                  Is this 99 in the AAR Mechanical Rules governing car repairs and inspection?

                                  PKL

                                  >From: mwilber@...
                                  >To: FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com
                                  >Subject: Re: [FJGRailroad] Hellllo out therrrrrrreeeee
                                  >Date: Mon, 6 Oct 2003 19:41:22 -0400 (EDT)
                                  >
                                  >Does anyone knows if the Rule 99 doesnt apply to any equipment over 40
                                  >years old?
                                  > Mark

                                  Get a FREE computer virus scan online from McAfee.