Amsterdam Area Mill

    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 9, 2003
      Hi guys,

      A co-worker let me borrow a picture book on Amsterdam. In the book there is
      a picture of a mill and tracks with trolley wires on the side. The name of
      the
      mill is the Consolidated Felt Mills. Anyone know the location of this?

      Gino

      Gino DiCarlo
      Imaging

      Quad/Imaging
      A Division of Quad/Graphics

      Saratoga Springs, New York

      518-581-4276 phone
      gino.dicarlo@...
      www.QG.com
    • Gerald Snyder
      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 9, 2003
        Gino,
        The Consolidated Felt Mill was located along West Main
        Street on the northwest corner with Hennreitta. The
        trolly line ran to the south side of the mill parallel
        to the NYC tracks. The connection to Division street
        ran alongside the east side of the mill on Hennreitta.
        The car barn was two blocks up Henn. on the southeast
        corner of Division St. The Amsterdam sub-station was
        just east of the car barn and the office/warehouse was
        on the southwest corner (the building is now the
        Fucillo Pontiac showroom). A lot of the old mill
        complex is still there - Dudka's is in part of it.
        They have an old Volkswagen beetle sitting on top of
        one of the old felt mill smokestacks with a big
        "Dudka's" sign. In the attached photo the felt mill
        is in the foreground, Bowlwer's Brewery is right
        behind it (lettering on building), and behind that is
        one of the two Magneto Electric buildings. The
        brewery and ME buildings are still there also.
        Jerry

        --- "Dicarlo, Gino" <Gino.Dicarlo@...> wrote:
        > Hi guys,
        >
        > A co-worker let me borrow a picture book on
        > Amsterdam. In the book there is
        > a picture of a mill and tracks with trolley wires on
        > the side. The name of
        > the
        > mill is the Consolidated Felt Mills. Anyone know
        > the location of this?
        >
        > Gino
        >
        > Gino DiCarlo
        > Imaging
        >
        > Quad/Imaging
        > A Division of Quad/Graphics
        >
        > Saratoga Springs, New York
        >
        > 518-581-4276 phone
        > gino.dicarlo@...
        > www.QG.com

        http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com
      • Gino & Kelly DiCarlo
        Message 3 of 8 , Aug 9, 2003
          > Gino,
          > The Consolidated Felt Mill was located along West Main
          > Street on the northwest corner with Hennreitta. The
          > trolly line ran to the south side of the mill parallel
          > to the NYC tracks. The connection to Division street
          > ran alongside the east side of the mill on Hennreitta.
          > The car barn was two blocks up Henn. on the southeast
          > corner of Division St. The Amsterdam sub-station was
          > just east of the car barn and the office/warehouse was
          > on the southwest corner (the building is now the
          > Fucillo Pontiac showroom). A lot of the old mill
          > complex is still there - Dudka's is in part of it.
          > They have an old Volkswagen beetle sitting on top of
          > one of the old felt mill smokestacks with a big
          > "Dudka's" sign. In the attached photo the felt mill
          > is in the foreground, Bowlwer's Brewery is right
          > behind it (lettering on building), and behind that is
          > one of the two Magneto Electric buildings. The
          > brewery and ME buildings are still there also.
          > Jerry

          Great picture Jerry. Looking at your shot, can tell exactly where that is!
          The chimney that the Beetle sits on is in that photo, sans Beetle...

          Gino
        • Walt Danylak
          Message 4 of 8 , Aug 10, 2003
            Jerry,

            Is that muddy mess just north of the trolley track West Main Street?

            Walt
          • Gerald Snyder
            Message 5 of 8 , Aug 10, 2003
              Walt,
              I know the trolley line ran on the south side of the
              street where it entered the west end so I guess that
              must be West Main. The photo is about 1905-1906, so I
              guess we still had a lot of streets that needed paving
              - kind of like it is here now.
              Jerry

              http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com
            • mwilber@webtv.net
              Message 6 of 8 , Aug 10, 2003
                Paul-I dont know if I told you for sure,but just me for the dinner.Mark
              • Gino & Kelly DiCarlo
                Message 7 of 8 , Aug 10, 2003
                  > Jerry,
                  >
                  > Is that muddy mess just north of the trolley track West Main Street?
                  >
                  > Walt

                  You said it Walt, what a muddy mess. I wasn't sure how that could be
                  The angle until I realized that it was actually Main going through
                  There!

                  Message 8 of 8 , Aug 11, 2003
                    Mark, gotcha on the list. Thanks.

                    PKL