Hello!

  • LeeDarshi Morelli
    Message 1 of 26 , Jun 11, 2003
      Is anyone out there? I have not received any e-mail for a few days.
    • Dave Brennan
      Message 2 of 26 , Jun 11, 2003
        Springtime and our thoughts turn to a multitude of other tasks.

        LeeDarshi Morelli <LeeDarshi@...> wrote:
        Is anyone out there? I have not received any e-mail for a few days.

        Do you Yahoo!?
      • LeeDarshi Morelli
        Message 3 of 26 , Jun 11, 2003
          Thank you, Dave.
          Springtime and our thoughts turn to a multitude of other tasks.

          LeeDarshi Morelli <LeeDarshi@...> wrote:
          Is anyone out there? I have not received any e-mail for a few days.

        • peter sefton
          Message 4 of 26 , Jun 19, 2003

            Hi, Gino:

            It has taken almost 10 days to recover from a hard drive crash but I am now up, running, and eager to post those Coal House pictures at http://www.lostlandmarks.org. Anytime you want to send me the files, I’m ready.

            Peter S.

          • Gino & Kelly DiCarlo
            Message 5 of 26 , Jun 20, 2003
              Re: [FJGRailroad] Coal House Pictures
              Pete,

              Enclosed are photos of the coal house from 1960, 1999 and 2003.  They are all taken from the same
              vantage point.  They should make a neat before and after...

              Gino

              Hi, Gino:

              It has taken almost 10 days to recover from a hard drive crash but I am now up, running, and eager to post those Coal House pictures at http://www.lostlandmarks.org <http://www.lostlandmarks.org/> . Anytime you want to send me the files, I’m ready.

              Peter S.

              Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
               <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=251812.3170658.4537139.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=1705295267:HM/A=1564415/R=0/SIG=11t6t7kdo/*http://www.netflix.com/Default?mqso=60164784&partid=3170658>

            • peter sefton
              Message 6 of 26 , Jun 21, 2003
                Re: [FJGRailroad] Coal House Pictures

                Those are nice shots—Ill work on a page this weekend. I can safely say that because it does nothing but rain down here in Virginia!

                Message 7 of 26 , Jun 21, 2003
                  Re: [FJGRailroad] Coal House Pictures
                  Oops, sorry to send them to everyone on the list!  That's what I get for
                  sending them at 2 in the morning!

                  Message 8 of 26 , Jun 21, 2003
                    It does nothing but rain up here too!

                    Message 9 of 26 , Feb 19, 2009
                      Hello everyone!

                      My name is John Christman and I am perhaps the youngest of the
                      hard-core FJ&G fans. I'm 23, from Johnstown and I'll be graduating in
                      May both an historian and a geographer from SUNY Plattsburgh. All of
                      you were fortunate enough to have experienced the excellence that was
                      the FJ&G. Unfortunately, I was born in late 85', so all I have is a
                      strong feeling of nostalgia for something I was unlucky enough to have
                      missed! Even though I never had the pleasure of seeing #20 roll
                      through my neighborhood near the Perry St. and Matthew St.
                      intersection in Johnstown, I feel like I know the railroad from the
                      amount of research and memerobilia I have collected. I'm really
                      looking forward to talking with all of you! I'm excited to hear your
                      stories! Also, I hope that maybe we could have a meeting in August as
                      has been done in the past! I have a small stack of FJ&G documentation
                      and photographs. I'll make sure to scan them and get them up for all
                      of you to see. Thanks so much for allowing me to become part of the
                      group!!

                      John Christman
                      Message 10 of 26 , Feb 19, 2009
                        John,
                        if you are around Johnstown this summer, maybe we can get together for a memorabilia meeting.
                        regards

                        Riverlinejoe

                        To: FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com

                        Message 11 of 26 , Feb 19, 2009
                          Sure Joe I would like to get together. I'm actually staying in
                          Plattsburgh, but I'll be home on a few weekends to see my family and
                          friends, and I would definitely come to any FJ&G oriented activity.
                          I've never had anyone to talk to about the railroad, my friends and
                          family think I'm in my own little world! So thanks, I think that
                          would be great!

                          John

                          --- In FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com, joseph Klapkowski
                          <riverlinejoe@...> wrote:

                          > John,
                          >
                          > if you are around Johnstown this summer, maybe we can get together
                          for a memorabilia meeting.

                          > regards
                          >

                          > Riverlinejoe
                          >

                          > To: FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com
                          > From: johnnychristman@...
                          > Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2009 19:12:22 +0000
                          > Subject: [FJGRailroad] Hello!
                          >

                          > Hello everyone!
                          >
                          > My name is John Christman and I am perhaps the youngest of the
                          > hard-core FJ&G fans. I'm 23, from Johnstown and I'll be graduating
                          in
                          > May both an historian and a geographer from SUNY Plattsburgh. All of
                          > you were fortunate enough to have experienced the excellence that
                          was
                          > the FJ&G. Unfortunately, I was born in late 85', so all I have is a
                          > strong feeling of nostalgia for something I was unlucky enough to
                          have
                          > missed! Even though I never had the pleasure of seeing #20 roll
                          > through my neighborhood near the Perry St. and Matthew St.
                          > intersection in Johnstown, I feel like I know the railroad from the
                          > amount of research and memerobilia I have collected. I'm really
                          > looking forward to talking with all of you! I'm excited to hear your
                          > stories! Also, I hope that maybe we could have a meeting in August
                          as
                          > has been done in the past! I have a small stack of FJ&G
                          documentation
                          > and photographs. I'll make sure to scan them and get them up for all
                          > of you to see. Thanks so much for allowing me to become part of the
                          > group!!
                          >
                          > John Christman

                          > Stay up to date on your PC, the Web, and your mobile phone with
                          Windows Live.

                          Message 12 of 26 , Feb 19, 2009
                            I look forward to it....but Plattsburgh!!!! UGHHH I went to Oswego (many years ago) and P'burg were our (Hockey) rivals. Do you get much opportunity to see the D&H? Are you on the D&H list?

                            To: FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com
                            From: johnnychristman@...
                            Date: Fri, 20 Feb 2009 02:48:09 +0000
                            Subject: [FJGRailroad] Re: Hello!

                            <riverlinejoe@ ...> wrote:

                            > John,
                            >
                            > if you are around Johnstown this summer, maybe we can get together
                            for a memorabilia meeting.

                            > regards
                            >

                            > Riverlinejoe
                            >

                            > To: FJGRailroad@ yahoogroups. com
                            > From: johnnychristman@ ...
                            > Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2009 19:12:22 +0000
                            > Subject: [FJGRailroad] Hello!
                            >

                            > Hello everyone!
                            >
                            > My name is John Christman and I am perhaps the youngest of the
                            > hard-core FJ&G fans. I'm 23, from Johnstown and I'll be graduating
                            in
                            > May both an historian and a geographer from SUNY Plattsburgh. All of
                            > you were fortunate enough to have experienced the excellence that
                            was
                            > the FJ&G. Unfortunately, I was born in late 85', so all I have is a
                            > strong feeling of nostalgia for something I was unlucky enough to
                            have
                            > missed! Even though I never had the pleasure of seeing #20 roll
                            > through my neighborhood near the Perry St. and Matthew St.
                            > intersection in Johnstown, I feel like I know the railroad from the
                            > amount of research and memerobilia I have collected. I'm really
                            > looking forward to talking with all of you! I'm excited to hear your
                            > stories! Also, I hope that maybe we could have a meeting in August
                            as
                            > has been done in the past! I have a small stack of FJ&G
                            documentation
                            > and photographs. I'll make sure to scan them and get them up for all
                            > of you to see. Thanks so much for allowing me to become part of the
                            > group!!
                            >
                            > John Christman

                            > Stay up to date on your PC, the Web, and your mobile phone with
                            Windows Live.
                            > http://clk.atdmt. com/MRT/go/ msnnkwxp10200931 85mrt/direct/ 01/

                            Want to do more with Windows Live? Learn 10 hidden secrets from Jamie. Learn Now
                            Message 13 of 26 , Feb 19, 2009
                              Alright John!  Welcome aboard!

                              Glad to have our youth represented.  Aaron went and grew up on us.  He used to be the young one,
                              but now he's an ole coot like the rest of us...

                              Gino

                              Message 14 of 26 , Feb 20, 2009
                                Ole coot, huh?  Gee, thanks, I guess at age 29 I better start looking at nursing homes.

                                -Aaron

                                Message 15 of 26 , Feb 20, 2009
                                  I'm so sorry to hear that you went to Oswego, I won't judge you haha.
                                  I actually live right down the street from the D&H line so I hear and
                                  see the trains all of the time, I'm not on the list though. I should
                                  join it I love the D&H as well.

                                  <riverlinejoe@...> wrote:

                                  > I look forward to it....but Plattsburgh!!!! UGHHH I went to Oswego
                                  (many years ago) and P'burg were our (Hockey) rivals. Do you get much
                                  opportunity to see the D&H? Are you on the D&H list?

                                  > To: FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com
                                  > From: johnnychristman@...
                                  > Date: Fri, 20 Feb 2009 02:48:09 +0000
                                  > Subject: [FJGRailroad] Re: Hello!
                                  >

                                  > Sure Joe I would like to get together. I'm actually staying in
                                  > Plattsburgh, but I'll be home on a few weekends to see my family and
                                  > friends, and I would definitely come to any FJ&G oriented activity.
                                  > I've never had anyone to talk to about the railroad, my friends and
                                  > family think I'm in my own little world! So thanks, I think that
                                  > would be great!
                                  >
                                  > John
                                  >
                                  > --- In FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com, joseph Klapkowski
                                  > <riverlinejoe@> wrote:
                                  > >

                                  > > John,
                                  > >
                                  > > if you are around Johnstown this summer, maybe we can get together
                                  > for a memorabilia meeting.
                                  > >
                                  > > regards
                                  > >

                                  > > Riverlinejoe
                                  > >

                                  > > To: FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com
                                  > > From: johnnychristman@
                                  > > Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2009 19:12:22 +0000
                                  > > Subject: [FJGRailroad] Hello!
                                  > >

                                  > > Hello everyone!
                                  > >
                                  > > My name is John Christman and I am perhaps the youngest of the
                                  > > hard-core FJ&G fans. I'm 23, from Johnstown and I'll be graduating
                                  > in
                                  > > May both an historian and a geographer from SUNY Plattsburgh. All of
                                  > > you were fortunate enough to have experienced the excellence that
                                  > was
                                  > > the FJ&G. Unfortunately, I was born in late 85', so all I have is a
                                  > > strong feeling of nostalgia for something I was unlucky enough to
                                  > have
                                  > > missed! Even though I never had the pleasure of seeing #20 roll
                                  > > through my neighborhood near the Perry St. and Matthew St.
                                  > > intersection in Johnstown, I feel like I know the railroad from the
                                  > > amount of research and memerobilia I have collected. I'm really
                                  > > looking forward to talking with all of you! I'm excited to hear your
                                  > > stories! Also, I hope that maybe we could have a meeting in August
                                  > as
                                  > > has been done in the past! I have a small stack of FJ&G
                                  > documentation
                                  > > and photographs. I'll make sure to scan them and get them up for all
                                  > > of you to see. Thanks so much for allowing me to become part of the
                                  > > group!!
                                  > >
                                  > > John Christman

                                  > > Stay up to date on your PC, the Web, and your mobile phone with
                                  > Windows Live.
                                  > > http://clk.atdmt.com/MRT/go/msnnkwxp1020093185mrt/direct/01/

                                  > Want to do more with Windows Live? Learn "10 hidden secrets" from Jamie.

                                • Jason C
                                  Message 16 of 26 , Feb 20, 2009
                                    John,

                                    You're not the only young(er) one on this list.  I'm in my mid thirties now but I NEVER witnessed the FJ&G operate.  I grew up east of this line in Ballston Spa.  I suspect that there are some more fans of this line that never actually lived along it or visited it before it disappeared.  By the time I was really aware of the FJ&G, it was already too late.

                                    Anyway, weclome to the group.  It's good to see new folks on the list.

                                    Regards,
                                    Jason Cook
                                    New Haven, IN

                                  • johnnychristman
                                    Message 17 of 26 , Feb 20, 2009
                                      Thanks Gino, but if 29 is old it sounds like I've got a lot to
                                      accomplish in the next 6 years!

                                      --- In FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com, "Dicarlo, Gino" <Gino.Dicarlo@...>
                                      wrote:

                                      > Alright John! Welcome aboard!
                                      >
                                      > Glad to have our youth represented. Aaron went and grew up on us. He
                                      > used to be the young one,
                                      > but now he's an ole coot like the rest of us...
                                      >
                                      > Gino
                                      >
                                      > ________________________________

                                    • johnnychristman
                                      Message 18 of 26 , Feb 20, 2009
                                        Jason,

                                        I feel your pain! How did you become interested in the FJ&G having
                                        grown up so far from it?

                                        --- In FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com, Jason C <dhc628@...> wrote:

                                        > John,
                                        >
                                        > You're not the only young(er) one on this list. I'm in my mid
                                        thirties now but I NEVER witnessed the FJ&G operate. I grew up east
                                        of this line in Ballston Spa. I suspect that there are some more fans
                                        of this line that never actually lived along it or visited it before
                                        it disappeared. By the time I was really aware of the FJ&G, it was
                                        already too late.

                                        > Anyway, weclome to the group. It's good to see new folks on the list.
                                        >
                                        > Regards,
                                        > Jason Cook
                                        > New Haven, IN

                                      • Jason C
                                        Message 19 of 26 , Feb 20, 2009
                                          John,

                                          I *think* it was from seeing it in my old Rand McNally railroad atlas.  I was interested in the Ballston Terminal and had started buying USGS Topos from Jimapco down on Rt 9 in Clifton Park to study the rail lines in the counties around Ballston.  I discovered that the FJ&G and the Ballston Terminal both dead ended within 20 miles of each other.  I made the leap that it would make sense to connect them together.  It wasn't until years later that I learned that the BT actually considered this.  I'd like to throw in a plug for some books dealing with the Ballston Terminal:

                                          I was also aware of there being tracks along a stretch of Rt 29 at Vails Mills.  I used to get my family to take me out to KC Canary occasionally to buy toy tractors and spotted the tracks on those trips.  This brings up a question for the group.  Does anyone have evidence or memories of any sort of farm equipment or construction equipment being delivered by the FJ&G?  Did Canary ever receive new equipment from Deere at a team track in Broadalbin?  Were there any other farm equipment dealers located Johnstown or Gloversville?

                                          Jason Cook

                                          Message 20 of 26 , Feb 20, 2009
                                            Good morning Jason,

                                            KC Canary was a good customer of the railroad.  They unloaded equipment in Gloversville and I believe also at Vail Mills.  Off the top of my head I believe they took material in Broadalbin too before they built their new building on rt. 29 but I am not in a position to say with certainty right now.  Gordy Cornell may catch this thread; and he does know.

                                            The relationship between the BT, Mountain Lake, AJ&G played a part in the development of the FJ&G and AmStRy in the decade 1894 through 1903.  BT's goal as a passenger carrier was not to connect but to compete with alternate routes through Gloversville and Johnstown.  In the background were the syndicates which controlled competing interests in electric railway expansion.  When that frenzy subsided the next gap for consideration was that in the chain of electric roads across New York state to Chicago and beyond  For that solution the FJ&G board seriously, but too late, explored building the Little Falls and Johnstown.  Closure of this latter gap had interest to the NYC which saw the proliferation of electric lines between the smaller towns and villages as an opportunity to eliminate local passenger trains.  As we are aware today the gaps were closed with macadam rather than steel.  Re: the connections across the counties from Saratoga (broadly) and Little Falls or Utica (specifiacally) underlying the fact BT intended to handle freight existed the desire to open a competitive route for coal from the Pennsylvannia hard coal fields controlled by the NYC into the region.  Connecting the Fitchburg with the O&W or DL&W at Utica was a greater vision of an earlier decade bypassing both D&H and B&M.  This became more important to the FRR following the NYC take over of the NYWS&B.

                                            As a side thought:  What a difference today, when no one seems to want to build anything without a hand out. These projects were for the most part funded with the personal fortunes of their investors.  The BT expansion failed because of lack of confidence, then financial support. And I doubt anyone will ever know what actually transpired in the clubs and board rooms in New York city, Cleveland and Chicago.

                                            PKL

                                            To: FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com

                                            I feel your pain! How did you become interested in the FJ&G having
                                            grown up so far from it?

                                            --- In FJGRailroad@ yahoogroups. com, Jason C <dhc628@...> wrote:

                                            > John,
                                            >
                                            > You're not the only young(er) one on this list.  I'm in my mid
                                            thirties now but I NEVER witnessed the FJ&G operate.  I grew up east
                                            of this line in Ballston Spa.  I suspect that there are some more fans
                                            of this line that never actually lived along it or visited it before
                                            it disappeared.  By the time I was really aware of the FJ&G, it was
                                            already too late.

                                            > Anyway, weclome to the group.  It's good to see new folks on the list.
                                            >
                                            > Regards,
                                            > Jason Cook
                                            > New Haven, IN

                                            Windows Live: E-mail. Chat. Share. Get more ways to connect. See how it works.
                                            Message 21 of 26 , Feb 20, 2009
                                              I can foward the request if you like.....

                                              To: FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com
                                              From: johnnychristman@...
                                              Date: Fri, 20 Feb 2009 14:34:37 +0000

                                              <riverlinejoe@ ...> wrote:

                                              > I look forward to it....but Plattsburgh! !!! UGHHH I went to Oswego
                                              (many years ago) and P'burg were our (Hockey) rivals. Do you get much
                                              opportunity to see the D&H? Are you on the D&H list?

                                              > To: FJGRailroad@ yahoogroups. com
                                              > From: johnnychristman@ ...
                                              > Date: Fri, 20 Feb 2009 02:48:09 +0000
                                              > Subject: [FJGRailroad] Re: Hello!
                                              >

                                              > Sure Joe I would like to get together. I'm actually staying in
                                              > Plattsburgh, but I'll be home on a few weekends to see my family and
                                              > friends, and I would definitely come to any FJ&G oriented activity.
                                              > I've never had anyone to talk to about the railroad, my friends and
                                              > family think I'm in my own little world! So thanks, I think that
                                              > would be great!
                                              >
                                              > John
                                              >
                                              > --- In FJGRailroad@ yahoogroups. com, joseph Klapkowski
                                              > <riverlinejoe@ > wrote:
                                              > >

                                              > > John,
                                              > >
                                              > > if you are around Johnstown this summer, maybe we can get together
                                              > for a memorabilia meeting.
                                              > >
                                              > > regards
                                              > >

                                              > > Riverlinejoe
                                              > >

                                              > > To: FJGRailroad@ yahoogroups. com
                                              > > From: johnnychristman@
                                              > > Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2009 19:12:22 +0000
                                              > > Subject: [FJGRailroad] Hello!
                                              > >

                                              > > Hello everyone!
                                              > >
                                              > > My name is John Christman and I am perhaps the youngest of the
                                              > > hard-core FJ&G fans. I'm 23, from Johnstown and I'll be graduating
                                              > in
                                              > > May both an historian and a geographer from SUNY Plattsburgh. All of
                                              > > you were fortunate enough to have experienced the excellence that
                                              > was
                                              > > the FJ&G. Unfortunately, I was born in late 85', so all I have is a
                                              > > strong feeling of nostalgia for something I was unlucky enough to
                                              > have
                                              > > missed! Even though I never had the pleasure of seeing #20 roll
                                              > > through my neighborhood near the Perry St. and Matthew St.
                                              > > intersection in Johnstown, I feel like I know the railroad from the
                                              > > amount of research and memerobilia I have collected. I'm really
                                              > > looking forward to talking with all of you! I'm excited to hear your
                                              > > stories! Also, I hope that maybe we could have a meeting in August
                                              > as
                                              > > has been done in the past! I have a small stack of FJ&G
                                              > documentation
                                              > > and photographs. I'll make sure to scan them and get them up for all
                                              > > of you to see. Thanks so much for allowing me to become part of the
                                              > > group!!
                                              > >
                                              > > John Christman

                                              > > Stay up to date on your PC, the Web, and your mobile phone with
                                              > Windows Live.
                                              > > http://clk.atdmt. com/MRT/go/ msnnkwxp10200931 85mrt/direct/ 01/

                                              > Want to do more with Windows Live? Learn "10 hidden secrets" from Jamie.

                                              http://windowslive. com/connect/ post/jamiethomso n.spaces. live.com- Blog-cns!550F681DAD532637! 5295.entry? ocid=TXT_ TAGLM_WL_ domore_092008

                                              Windows Live: Keep your life in sync. Check it out.
                                              Message 22 of 26 , Feb 20, 2009
                                                Aaron,

                                                It seems so long ago that you were a high school student sending me corrections on my webpage!

                                                Gino

                                                Message 23 of 26 , Feb 20, 2009
                                                  I'm only joking about us being old, at 42 I've been told many times that I'm the youngster of the group!
                                                  Aaron just looks old!

                                                  Only kidding Aaron!

                                                  Gino

                                                  ____________ _________ _________ __

                                                  href="mailto:FJGRailroad%40yahoogroups.com">FJGRailroad@ yahoogroups. com [mailto:FJGRailroad@ yahoogroups. com]

                                                • slamora1@nycap.rr.com
                                                  Message 24 of 26 , Feb 20, 2009
                                                    I'M glad Aaron Gino & I arent the only relatively young ones anymore.Paul I also miss the walks .And I miss the Ice cream Cant do that anymore but a walk would be good.I would also love to see everybody this summer I only see Gino and Glen W at Springfeild Trainshow It was good to see Glen at the show.Hey Gino no Kingston Show It was canceled same problem no place to have it ..

                                                    Steve Lamora

                                                  • Stephen G Myers
                                                    Message 25 of 26 , Feb 20, 2009

                                                      But Steve,

                                                           Weren't you the kid coming into my post office every day to get your mail just a few years ago and i would tell you about my train adventures?

                                                            Steve Myers

                                                      On Fri, 20 Feb 2009 19:14:48 -0500 <slamora1@...> writes:

                                                      Meet your communications needs. Get serious about tech.

                                                    • slamora1@nycap.rr.com
                                                      Message 26 of 26 , Feb 21, 2009
                                                        Yep
                                                        Now I tell me three kids about my Train adventures..
                                                        -