Re: [FJGRailroad] One more thing

  • Malcolm Horton
    Message 1 of 20 , May 13, 2003
      Where was the Rice Lumber Mill?

      Malcolm Horton

      ----- Original Message -----
      From: "Dick Ryall" <dryall@...>
      To: <FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com>
      Sent: Tuesday, May 13, 2003 1:28 PM
      Subject: Re: [FJGRailroad] One more thing

      ?

      http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

      Message 2 of 20 , May 14, 2003
        Oops, I mixed the Rice Lumber company near Shelburne, VT. with Riceville and
        applied that name to the mill south of the eastward extension of Phelps
        Street near Riceville. The name of the mill was DeGolyer's Saw Mill on the
        Mayfield Creek. There was a low dam at the mill below which we would fish.
        Can't recall ever catching anything good.

        PKL

      • Dick Ryall
        Message 3 of 20 , May 14, 2003
          Been there......

          Message 4 of 20 , May 15, 2003
            The DeGolyer mill on Phelps Street is interesting for at least a couple of
            reasons. Floyd DeGolyer liked steam power and used it for many years. I
            asked him one time why he didn't go to electricity. He said that if the
            DeGolyers had done that, for the many generations that had operated saw
            mills, they would be up to their (you know whats) in sawdust. He burned
            sawdust, bark and slab wood to make his steam. He had a 200 horsepower
            boiler and a 50 horsepower engine, so he didn't have to have a full time
            fireman to keep up steam. The fire could just simmer. The sawyer could see
            the water level and steam pressure gages from his work station. When it was
            necessary to add wood or water, one of the helpers would do the honors. Wet
            sawdust would be piled in front of the open ash pit doors to be dried out by
            radiation from the fire before being shoveled into the fire box. The last
            time I talked to his widow, in the late 1970's, she said that they had to go
            to diesel power because the boiler could no longer pass inspection.
            The other interesting thing, about the mill pond and dam, was that they
            had a hydraulic ram at the dam to supply water under pressure to the house
            (this was before electricity). Hydraulic rams were an interesting device
            which could pump water up to much higher elevations that the pond which fed
            them.
            The main function of the dam was not for power but as a place to soak
            the logs, to get the grit off of them and loosen the bark, before sending
            them to the saw.
            The early DeGolyers had mills just south of the great Sacandaga lake on
            what is known as frenchman's (or French)creek.

            Malcolm Horton

            > Oops, I mixed the Rice Lumber company near Shelburne, VT. with Riceville
            and
            > applied that name to the mill south of the eastward extension of Phelps
            > Street near Riceville. The name of the mill was DeGolyer's Saw Mill on
            the
            > Mayfield Creek. There was a low dam at the mill below which we would
            fish.
            > Can't recall ever catching anything good.
            >
            > PKL
            >

            > >From: "Malcolm Horton" <mdhorton@...>
            > >To: <FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com>
            > >Subject: Re: [FJGRailroad] One more thing
            > >Date: Tue, 13 May 2003 22:30:45 -0400
            > >
            > >Where was the Rice Lumber Mill?
            > >
            > >Malcolm Horton

          • LeeDarshi Morelli

              Message 6 of 20 , May 16, 2003

                I forgot to mention that DeGolyer used to ship out lumber via the FJ&G. They would load boxcars at the public siding in Kingsboro (opposite the old passenger station).

                Malcolm Horton

                Message 7 of 20 , Sep 26, 2005
                  I forgot to thank all the people who have contributed to FJGRR.org!  You guys are great!
                  I couldn't have done it without you...

                  www.ginosrailpage.com
                  www.fjgrr.org